New Rider and going to buy a bike.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider and going to buy a bike..

GreenPlane

Hey guys, I'm a new rider (just got my M1 and going to safety course next weekend). And I'm going to see and buy (I hope) a bike tomorrow in Milton! So, I was thinking maybe someone can get me a hand with checking the bike?

You’d be better off taking the course first, motorcycling isn’t for everyone.

See if you even like it.

You’d be better off taking the course first, motorcycling isn’t for everyone.

See if you even like it.

Yeah, but I was riding bikes before and I know that I'm in love with them. Just wasn't able to get one (first parents then wife, baby, etc). And now I'm finally ready! I do want to get the course just because I never had a license, so it would be better to listen to smart and experienced people first : )

#1. Check insurance before buying bike.
#2. Use brain over heart...be prepared to walk away if something isn’t quite right.....even if it does have amazing graphics etc. There will always be another bike.

if you have decided you want a bike, get a bike
but not necessarily that bike
they are a want in this country, not a need
fulfill your wants, you'll feel better
lots of people that can't ride, don't want to ride
have their lives enriched with a motorcycle
you see them in parking lots everyday

#1. Check insurance before buying bike.
#2. Use brain over heart...be prepared to walk away if something isn’t quite right.....even if it does have amazing graphics etc. There will always be another bike.

Yep, already got an insurance quote for this particular bike. But not sure that I can easily walk away.. I already like it and I can make an impulsive purchase (especially if the item has wheels).. Will bring a friend with me in order to calm me down.. but not sure if it will work.

Last edited:
if you have decided you want a bike, get a bike

Totally agree! Riding a bike was my dream for something like 20 years.. And looks like now it is the time to get one.. just little bit scary about technical part. I have quite some experience with cars (so can easily check oil, etc) but never worked on a bike..

Why not start with disclosing your wish list -- the bikes that get you excited about motorcycling. Then list a few things you want from motorcycling -- commuting, touring, running around the city, offroad adventures, making noise at Timmies, the taste of a race track.

The experienced riders can then chime in.

Why not start with disclosing your wish list -- the bikes that get you excited about motorcycling. Then list a few things you want from motorcycling -- commuting, touring, running around the city, offroad adventures, making noise at Timmies, the taste of a race track.

The experienced riders can then chime in.

Sure, the bike I plan to check (and hopefully to buy) is Suzuki GS500 (2009). The main purpose is pleasure riding and maybe sometimes commuting to work (very short ride). Don't plan to use it on a race track because I have a car for it.. I was thinking about starting with CBR 300 or Ninja, but I kind of like naked style..

Sure, the bike I plan to check (and hopefully to buy) is Suzuki GS500 (2009). The main purpose is pleasure riding and maybe sometimes commuting to work (very short ride). Don't plan to use it on a race track because I have a car for it.. I was thinking about starting with CBR 300 or Ninja, but I kind of like naked style..
You're in the right area for a beginner. Bang for the buck will be a 2008-2011 Ninja 250, they are the most economical to buy, maintain and insure. A GS 500 is probably close - and you can never go wrong with a Yamaha or Suzuki -- nobody is close on operating cost.

You're in the right area for a beginner. Bang for the buck will be a 2008-2011 Ninja 250, they are the most economical to buy, maintain and insure. A GS 500 is probably close - and you can never go wrong with a Yamaha or Suzuki -- nobody is close on operating cost.

Yeah, insurance for GS 500 is a little bit higher but it has more power and I hope I will not be bored after a few years with it. Plus, it should be nice to have a little bit more hp on highways.. and damn, this thing looks amazing in my eyes : ) Previously, I thought that I'm a sport bike guy.. but this one just went straight to my heart : )

No argument from my end - buying a well matured model is excellent and that was the last model year. It appears not to have ABS so practice your emergency braking in a safe area and please learn to use both brakes in concert.
i think you are right on the money

$_59.JPG

You can likely get it safetied at Mototech in Milton. You should get a lot of pleasure from that machine.

Last edited:
GS500 is a good choice for a starter bike. Basically check it's overall condition. All original and no damage, should be an alright example.

Is the bike listed on kijiji? Perhaps OP can share link?

OP i agree 100% on the choice of
starter bike. Smart!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I guess MacDoc found it on Kijiji too : ) here is the link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...le/1355893782?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thanks for the pointer to Mototech in Milton but they are closed today. I'm thinking about using CAA to deliver it to my house and then certify it later in some place nearby. I will have a week to do it (before will finish the safety course and then get insurance).

I would love to get a model with ABS, but I hope I can handle it without ABS too : ) just will practice and practice and practice..

So, my plan is to check:
- Overall condition
- Oil level and condition
- Tires
- Wheels are straight and in one line
- Brake pads and calipers
- Cold start (if possible)
- Engine sound (don't have much experience with bikes, so it would be just for major issues)
- Docs

Would like to check brake fluid, but as far as I understand, it is not that easy on this bike..

You seem to have everything backwards, possibly because your rushed but:

What if you fail the course?

And If you want to drop it off at your house today, then you'll have to call CAA again to get it safetied. Or You'll have to find a pick up truck + chock + tie downs etc to transport the bike.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble by just waiting a bit longer:

That way when mototech is open, have CAA drop the bike to the shop, have it safetied, you'll have insurance, bike will be safetied, you'll have passed your course by then and will have the license, you will have ownership and plates and you can just ride it home.

Now that you put it out there you better put a deposit down on her or it will be gone soon. Never show your hand!

gs500? Somehow dont think GTAM members will be chomping at the bits for that one

You seem to have everything backwards, possibly because your rushed but:

What if you fail the course?

And If you want to drop it off at your house today, then you'll have to call CAA again to get it safetied. Or You'll have to find a pick up truck + chock + tie downs etc to transport the bike.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble by just waiting a bit longer:

That way when mototech is open, have CAA drop the bike to the shop, have it safetied, you'll have insurance, bike will be safetied, you'll have passed your course by then and will have the license, you will have ownership and plates and you can just ride it home.

It may look like a mess but I actually have a plan! I have a motorcycle mechanic down the road, so he will take care of certification. At the same time, I don't think that I will get a chance to buy this bike if I will wait. I already missed an opportunity to buy 2 other bikes.. they were gone in less than 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom