Better shape = faster? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Better shape = faster?

Take a look at your average professional motorcycle racer in any discipline and yes, they usually look like they are ready for the olympics.
save maybe the drag strip & world land speed record stuff.
Just got back from a ride with an answer. Nope, wont make a difference. I put on 20 lbs over the winter, I'm a bit faster than I was last year. My 220 butterball frame embarrassed a few 20 something squids on a romp around the Pickering airport barrens -- last year they almost kept up -- this year I lost them.

Put it this way, you will not find top level riders in WSBK, MotoGP, etc who are overweight or out of shape. Physical training is a big part of their regimen.

It helps with endurance, it helps with moving around on the bike, it helps with muscling the bike around for making quick direction changes.

... and then there was Joey Dunlop.
The other pro riders used to hate him cuz he would party til the small hours of the morning, roll into the pit just before the race with a smoke hanging out of his gob, then walk away with the race.
Here in Ontario we had Art "the Dart" Robbins. Same game plan.

... and then there was Joey Dunlop.
The other pro riders used to hate him cuz he would party til the small hours of the morning, roll into the pit just before the race with a smoke hanging out of his gob, then walk away with the race.
Here in Ontario we had Art "the Dart" Robbins. Same game plan.
Yup. Unless your on the razor's edge of performance, it's about how you ride and not so much about how you live.

Well it's all settled then - A street rider went around city streets with his fellow ice cream rider friends and he was faster with an extra 20 pounds. Everyone, time to go home and close this thread.
Just got back from a ride with an answer. Nope, wont make a difference. I put on 20 lbs over the winter, I'm a bit faster than I was last year. My 220 butterball frame embarrassed a few 20 something squids on a romp around the Pickering airport barrens -- last year they almost kept up -- this year I lost them.

OP is a street rider
asked about body weight and acceleration
and MM has wisdom, seen enough of his stuff to get that
track dudes also have some valuable info to share of course

I checked
thread does not have a seatbelt for those not enjoying it
can get out at any time while it's still rolling
best to tuck in sensitive bits and feelings before jumping though

Anyone that gets its feelings hurt in a forum needs to evaluate their life...... but then everyone out there is all about the royal wedding, I must be an Alien.

Anyone that gets its feelings hurt in a forum needs to evaluate their life...... but then everyone out there is all about the royal wedding, I must be an Alien.
You're never gonna hurt my feelings or insult my intelligence. It's just a discussion forum, if it gets you panties in a knot, stick to dragging your knees around the track.

You're never gonna hurt my feelings or insult my intelligence. It's just a discussion forum, if it gets you panties in a knot, stick to dragging your knees around the track.
These days I rather drag my knees in the dirt .

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Serious Question:

If i were to get in better shape and lose like 20 lbs will I go faster? or nah?

Acceleration etc will be affected?

You could get a Trials bike, they are like little exercise machines, if you were to get a modern trials bike and lose 20 pounds by riding it I bet you will ride your street bike way better. Dieting will probably just make you hungry.

:thumbup: ZX600 has a good exercise machine

My legs hurt for 3 days after the last ride. Does not happen on my dirt bike

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

My legs hurt for 3 days after the last ride. Does not happen on my dirt bike

Muscle just above the knee on the inside? lol ya that one is going to get really big.

Losing weight might not make you faster, but it certainly helps with having a positive outlook on the world around and how you feel while you ride which might translate to smoother operations.

Keep the weight. Add stickers. Automatic faster solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it this way, you will not find top level riders in WSBK, MotoGP, etc who are overweight or out of shape. Physical training is a big part of their regimen.

It helps with endurance, it helps with moving around on the bike, it helps with muscling the bike around for making quick direction changes.

I met Marco Melandri in person 2 days ago. He's small. I can tell you more about it at the forks on Monday if I recover from jet lag enough by then...

What time?

Change of plans, Hockley General Store (take Hockley Road east to where it ends at a T past Airport Road, the store is right there) probably 10:30 onward.

I always remember back in the early 2000's several of my riding buddies who had SS bikes swapping out various parts for carbon fibre or aluminum bits, and ALWAYS bragging about the weight they saved and how it made them "faster". I would listen, nod politely and then pat them them on their tummy and point out that instead of paying hundreds of dollars on parts that save ounces they could have eaten a few salads and saved lbs!

I always remember back in the early 2000's several of my riding buddies who had SS bikes swapping out various parts for carbon fibre or aluminum bits, and ALWAYS bragging about the weight they saved and how it made them "faster". I would listen, nod politely and then pat them them on their tummy and point out that instead of paying hundreds of dollars on parts that save ounces they could have eaten a few salads and saved lbs!

The women in drag racing might have something.Two and 4 wheel.

Based on the number of bikes you've had, I'd assume you've been riding a lot longer than me and would know better than to judge anyone based on street conditions......

Back
Top Bottom