Better shape = faster? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Better shape = faster?

bigpoppa

Serious Question:

If i were to get in better shape and lose like 20 lbs will I go faster? or nah?

Acceleration etc will be affected?

Last edited:
You're not gonna go from snail speed to a rocket ship but yes it will make a difference.

You'll also feel better in general not just while on the bike so why not?

Maybe your endurance would improve, with your fz09 I dont think 20lbs will make any difference in the twists but drag strip ya.
I am sure many will suggest track day or racer5 but if thats of no interest a trip down to Pennsylvania and you will return to the GTA a more confident rider. It is hard to get good at twisty roads when really there are none in Onterrible. Go down there rip corners no traffic.. popo or worries other then wildlife and guarentee you come back a better rider..

Btw if you would like can lead lol:D

Last edited:
If you bike is 600 lb and you are 220. Losing 20 lb will give you a 2.5% weight advantage....about the same as between a full and empty tank.
But your doctor will approve.
Okay FZ09 ...3% ...you are very unlikely to ever make full acceleration use of that motor without some serious risk involved.

If however you demand still more ...change sprockets.

Last edited:
lower body mass combined with increased flexibility and strength, yes
when it comes to technical riding
straight line acceleration? negligent difference

Put it this way, people who seriously track or race on the strip spend thousands of dollars to shave off a few lbs off their exhaust setup, carbonfiber rims, even lighter lithium ion batteries and .. to be lighter. So yes it makes a difference.
But as mentioned above, you're not gonna suddenly feel like youre on a bigger cc bike.
That said, you will feel more comfortable on the bike and switch body positions more comfortably and just generally feel much better IMO

Serious Question:

Probably not, 20lbs is equal to about 12l of fuel. So, next time your bike is empty, add 12 l of fuel and see what you think.

I'm guessing you want to learn how to ride faster, not make your bike faster. If that's the case, join a few group rides that so a little spirited riding. Ontario has plenty of interesting and challenging roads inside a days ride.

I went from 260, a year ago to where I am today, 151lbs. The biggest thing I noticed was that my suspension was super stiff after I lost all that weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from 260, a year ago to where I am today, 151lbs. The biggest thing I noticed was that my suspension was super stiff after I lost all that weight.

Damn brother! 260 to 151?!! That's amazing! Good on you!
If you dont mind me asking how did you lose that much in just one year?!!

Damn brother! 260 to 151?!! That's amazing! Good on you!
If you dont mind me asking how did you lose that much in just one year?!!

Surgery. Not the easy way out everyone thinks it is.
Right after my surgery I picked up my physical activity. Started running, got up to 5k every other day, now doing strength training almost every day.

i don't think anyone thinks surgery is easy tbh. But regardless, congrats! That's a hell of an achievement! :)

I hit my goal weight (165lbs) within 8 months of surgery. Finally stopped losing weight at 148~152. That’s where my weight is these days depending on what I ate, sleep patterns the day before.

Better core = ability to ride longer and get into positions easier. It will help your indirectly.

Hasn’t been mentioned yet but it would take less force/energy to stop. All things being equal, you would stop in a shorter distance.

It might take more than a 20lb drop in weight to “feel” the difference but you will also accelerate from a stop faster and be able to maneuver/change direction on the bike quicker as previously mentioned.

Added benefit is better fuel economy .

Hasn’t been mentioned yet but it would take less force/energy to stop. All things being equal, you would stop in a shorter distance.

It might take more than a 20lb drop in weight to “feel” the difference but you will also accelerate from a stop faster and be able to maneuver/change direction on the bike quicker as previously mentioned.

Added benefit is better fuel economy .

Huh?!?

That's most of my weight.

Yes, better physical shape is better on the bike....and off.

You have two objects in motion travelling at the same speed and object A weighs more than object B. You apply the exact same opposing force to both objects...object B will stop in a shorter distance than object A.

You have two objects in motion travelling at the same speed and object A weighs more than object B. You apply the exact same opposing force to both objects...object B will stop in a shorter distance than object A.

That also depends on how the suspension reacts and the ability of the braking system to dissipate energy. You may not see any difference with a small number like 20lbs.

Back
Top Bottom