Where to buy liability insurance for a rental car when the company doesn't offer it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy liability insurance for a rental car when the company doesn't offer it?

Relax

My kid's friend wants to rent a car while in California. He could only find one company that rents to G2 and under-21, but their policy is that they don't offer insurance to under-21. So he needs his own liability insurance from a third party before they will rent to him. Normally that would float over from his car insurance, but he doesn't have a car and therefore no insurance. Is there somewhere else that he can get this liability insurance from?

Isn't the kid listed on your friends policy? If not, Uber may be the cheaper/easier option.

Ask his credit card company

Isn't the kid listed on your friends policy? If not, Uber may be the cheaper/easier option.

It's my kid's friend, not the other way around, and as mentioned has no insurance coverage. Uber would not be cost effective for the touring he is planning on doing.

Ask his credit card company

Credit cards usually only cover Loss/Damage, and in any case he asked and his credit card doesn't even offer that. He is getting that from a third party that specializes in it, but none of those offer liability.

My kid's friend wants to rent a car while in California. He could only find one company that rents to G2 and under-21, but their policy is that they don't offer insurance to under-21. So he needs his own liability insurance from a third party before they will rent to him. Normally that would float over from his car insurance, but he doesn't have a car and therefore no insurance. Is there somewhere else that he can get this liability insurance from?

can the rental Co not offer any suggestions for this?
I imagine they have dealt with the situation before

some info here:

https://www.thebalance.com/temporary-car-insurance-what-are-the-options-2645566

can the rental Co not offer any suggestions for this?
I imagine they have dealt with the situation before

some info here:

https://www.thebalance.com/temporary-car-insurance-what-are-the-options-2645566

No help at all. This is their web page that describes it limitations for younger renters, and their suggestions which did not pan out. I asked my State Farm agent, and she doesn't sell anything and can't recommend any other options.

http://www.marathoncarrental.com/under25-21.html

Credit cards usually only cover Loss/Damage, and in any case he asked and his credit card doesn't even offer that. He is getting that from a third party that specializes in it, but none of those offer liability.
Some of my cc offer insurance for rentals

Some of my cc offer insurance for rentals

I'm not aware of any Canadian credit card offering it. Which credit cards, and are you sure it's third party liability insurance, and not just CLD (Collision/Loss Damage)?

I'm not aware of any Canadian credit card offering it. Which credit cards, and are you sure it's third party liability insurance, and not just CLD (Collision/Loss Damage)?
Maybe I am mistaken. I probably have to look into it. I remember a cc that caters to travellers.

6a4e5ff57b97a8c2f85754afbc196626.jpg

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-b...ravel-visa-infinite-card_c/?s_tnt=474653:2:0&

You're right

Reading between the lines, the rental place doesn't want his business. If they did they'd have a surcharge system in place.

How does a non-resident get insurance on a vehicle they don't own?

Can a vehicle owner legally distance himself from a liability?

How old is the kid? Sometimes people just have to wait for things. Yeah it sucks.

Options:

Drive or ship the family cage to CA. Check first with your insurer.

Travel with an adult. You have a form of wheels freedom but still can't drive the rental.

Try a nearby state.

Get a bus pass and meet the hoipolloi.

No help at all. This is their web page that describes it limitations for younger renters, and their suggestions which did not pan out. I asked my State Farm agent, and she doesn't sell anything and can't recommend any other options.

http://www.marathoncarrental.com/under25-21.html

yeah, don't think there's a carrier in Ontario that can do it
based on our regulatory framework, liability is tied to the vehicle
be best to try and find coverage in Cali

Does california have alternate vehicles that may work and don't require insurance (like mopeds here 30 years ago)?

Maybe I am mistaken. I probably have to look into it. I remember a cc that caters to travellers.

Credit cards do not offer 3rd party liability. They only offer basic Collisiion Damage Coverage and even that amount is very limited. Basically if you rent an exotic or luxury car worth $50k-60k+, better get additional insurance.

Back
Top Bottom