Fuel economy. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel economy.

Unusual smell of gas around the bike? Did the previous owner have the tank off and not connect it back properly? I don’t know what the fuel connectors are like on the Vulcan but some bikes are primitive push fit and some have reasonably intricate “click” connectors with various valves etc. If there was an issue with this you’d smell gas with the bike parked or see fluid on bike parts or the ground.

Thank you for your answer. I never smelt any gas, nor did I see any leaks around the motorcycle. I tried to look, but there’s no leakage.
The previous owner didn’t fiddle around with the bike.

Rev ON

Thank you for your answer. I never smelt any gas, nor did I see any leaks around the motorcycle. I tried to look, but there’s no leakage.
The previous owner didn’t fiddle around with the bike.

Original exhaust system has a catalytic converter, so if the motor is passing unburnt fuel you won't smell raw gasoline because it will burn up inside the exhaust system. I would recommend doing another fuel consumption test and possibly a spark plug inspection if your fuel consumption remains exceptionally high.

Best luck and fun riding.

Alright everyone. I got the answer!
I wasn’t filling the tank all the way. I would fill it up and stop as soon as the gas would start to come up. I didn’t know I had to wait until the fuel settled in the tank so I could fill more.
I appreciate all of your answers. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

This is not the answer, and in fact you are generally advised NOT to do this. Once gas reaches the filler neck, stop adding gas

This is not the answer, and in fact you are generally advised NOT to do this. Once gas reaches the filler neck, stop adding gas

How do I know if my bike has a fuel reserve? Where is the gas going if I overfill it? When I stop at the filler neck, the fuel gauge pin only goes up 3 quarters from empty. I’ve tried this twice.

Rev ON

It’s a fuel injected bike. You don’t have a switch or knob that you turn to access reserve fuel. What you have is a sensor that triggers a low fuel light to come on when you have 1/2 to 1 gallon left in the tank so don’t wait too long to fill up.

You only have one fuel tank. If you overfill the tank, it will pour out the fuel tank opening at the top where you are filling it and spill all over the tank and the rest of your bike.

If your fuel gauge is faulty, there is an electrical fix that you could try. I gave you a screen shot of the website and topic to search for in one of your other threads on this forum.

Just because the fuel gauge is acting up doesn’t mean the low fuel light isn’t accurate. It operates on a separate sensor. Worst case is that it is also faulty too.

In the short-term, I would fill it up as much as you can, ignore the fuel gauge and try and figure out your actual fuel economy by trial and error (mileage/trip meter). This will help you to figure out when you need to fill the tank. At some point, you may want to take a longer ride until the low fuel light comes on to test if that is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last owner had put fuel stabilizer in it for winter storage.
I then filled the tank with 16.50 litres of premium gas at 28,578 kms (full tank).

this is worded awkwardly

was the tank empty except for fuel stabilizer over the winter?
then you filled it and got bad mileage out of that tank full?

or did you burn off a tank of the stabilized winter gas then refill
and got poor mileage from that tank of fresh gas?

Back
Top Bottom