Fuel economy. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel economy.

IbbadMurtaza

Hello once again! Hope you guys enjoyed the beautiful weather today! ☀️
Alright, so I bought my 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom last month. It had 28,518 kms to be precise. The last owner had put fuel stabilizer in it for winter storage.
I then filled the tank with 16.50 litres of premium gas at 28,578 kms (full tank). Today, I ran out of fuel and walked the bike to the closest station. I ran out at 28,700 kms. THAT’S ONLY 122 KMS !
Can anyone tell me what’s wrong? I start it up every now and then to warm it up a bit, but only for like 5 minutes.
I would appreciate some help.

Rev ON

I would check for a leak.

An idling motor will burn a few litres an hour, so that should only account for less than half a tank. For future reference, it's hard to do anything worse to your motor than idling it for 5 minutes and killing it. Either leave it alone or run it until everything gets up to operating temperature to drive the moisture out.

It wouldn't account for that horrible a fuel mileage, but is your new belt tension correct?

Personally, I would fill it up, go for a 100 km ride, fill it again and see how it did.

Last edited:
That bike should come with a low fuel light? Should give you ample notice before running out of fuel

Hello once again! Hope you guys enjoyed the beautiful weather today! ☀️
Alright, so I bought my 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom last month. It had 28,518 kms to be precise. The last owner had put fuel stabilizer in it for winter storage.
I then filled the tank with 16.50 litres of premium gas at 28,578 kms (full tank). Today, I ran out of fuel and walked the bike to the closest station. I ran out at 28,700 kms. THAT’S ONLY 122 KMS !
Can anyone tell me what’s wrong? I start it up every now and then to warm it up a bit, but only for like 5 minutes.
I would appreciate some help.

Rev ON

Air filter ever been cleaned?

An idling motor will burn a few litres an hour, so that should only account for less than half a tank. For future reference, it's hard to do anything worse to your motor than idling it for 5 minutes and killing it. Either leave it alone or run it until everything gets up to operating temperature to drive the moisture out.

It wouldn't account for that horrible a fuel mileage, but is your new belt tension correct?

Personally, I would fill it up, go for a 100 km ride, fill it again and see how it did.

Thank you for your reply. So if I start it, should I leave it for an hour?
Yes, my new belt tension looks alright. I checked on youtube on how tight the belt should be, there’s actually a gauge on the cover that when you push the belt up, it should come in a the middle of the bar.
My motorcycle has a fuel capacity of 20 litres, but after 16.50 litres, the tank becomes full.

Rev ON

That bike should come with a low fuel light? Should give you ample notice before running out of fuel

I do have a low fuel light. But my concern is the kms per tank I’m getting out of it. I thought the fuel light and fuel gauge is giving me a false reading, so I ignored it.

Rev ON

I don’t have a leak.

Rev ON

Nope. Use your manual to find air filter removal instructions and pull it out and see if it’s dirty. If it’s stock air filter might have to order a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t quite comprehend what you said. Can you please elaborate?

Rev ON

If your bike has a stock air filter then you will have to purchase an oem filter. If your bike has an aftermarket replacement air filter such as a k&n filter you’d just need to clean and oil it. If your bike isn’t tuned for an aftermarket air filter and you decide to put an aftermarket filter you’ll likely have to enrich the fuel mixture

Back
Top Bottom