Roof leak after last wind storm | GTAMotorcycle.com

Roof leak after last wind storm

FattBoyy

I noticed a small water stain on my bedroom ceiling after that string windstorm from last week.

I had done a walk around the house and did not notice any lossed shingles or visual damage.

Is this a one off or pretty much some one one needs to go up there and look for a damaged shingle . The house was built in 2007

If anyone has had any experience please chime one so I can get some insight prior to calling a roofer

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go up and check it out. The leak could also be coming from somewhere not directly above the stain. Might not be shingles. Could be a broken/cracked pipe gasket. Runs down the pipe and horizontally along to the point of the stain.

Go up and check it out. The leak could also be coming from somewhere not directly above the stain. Might not be shingles. Could be a broken/cracked pipe gasket. Runs down the pipe and horizontally along to the point of the stain.

It’s 2 stories up and a steep roof ... not sure if I want to go up there

You mean the pipes that run along edge of the house ?

Call a roofer, and have them do the inspection maybe a couple of hundred bucks if that,,,but if you leave it as is it could cost you thousands.....

I think he means the vent pipes on the roof, could be around the vents also, only a visual inspection will give u the info u need...

yes, unless you have fall arrest gear and anchor points
that's too high to be snooping around, hire a pro

You mean the pipes that run along edge of the house ?

Normally plumbing vent stacks.

If you don't want to go up on the roof, go in the attic and follow the water. Walk carefully so you don't fall through the ceiling.

Sometimes I get a leak in my roof when the wind blows the rain in at a particular angle.....it doesn’t happen all the time, 99% of the time it’s fine. It’s extremely annoying because it’s hard to find exactly where the water is getting in.

Normally plumbing vent stacks.

If you don't want to go up on the roof, go in the attic and follow the water. Walk carefully so you don't fall through the ceiling.

This. You should be able to see water stains around any vents. Look for rodent damage as well. Squirrels and raccoons can chew through the plastic air vents to gain access to the attic. Make sure you have a strong flashlight.

I will get my mini latter and poke my head in the attic on Friday... and definitely will hire a pro.. not going on that roof myself.. I always like to have my own look at things and digest prior to calling the pro’s.. hence this thread

Last edited:
There can be part of the roof you can't see like an adjoining corridor.

water leaks are either really obvious or really hard to find, hope for obvious.
My only advice is don't hire the kijiji guy that can be there in 30 mins. The good roofing Co. are usually busy guys.

Shingle roofing was my first ever summer job :I hated it, made a whole 1 dollar for every bundle of shingles that I nailed down, made nothing for getting them up on the roof.

2007 shingles :/ your shingle roof is probably done or well on its way, you can't leave shingles to leak until they get worse or you will have extensive damage to your attic insulation and drywall. I bet that if you went up on your roof right now you can probably see tiny bits of plywood showing through little shrinkage cracks and gaps in the asphalt shingles.
Now you have the big decision to make; do you put another layer of shingles over the old ones and do it again every 10 or so years or have metal roofing put on and leave it for your kids to deal with when they get old.

Anchor points and fall arrest lol roof jacks maybe if it's close to or steeper then 45% pitch, otherwise I bet they just walk right up it, I doubt a professional roofing crew will use safety anything unless they are compelled to.

btw: the whole shingle life rating thing is a crock, 25 year shingles don't last 25 years.

btw: the whole shingle life rating thing is a crock, 25 year shingles don't last 25 years.

My 20 year shingles got replaced at about 20 and only because I tend to be proactive. I could have left them until I saw a leak.

Anchor points and fall arrest lol roof jacks maybe if it's close to or steeper then 45% pitch, otherwise I bet they just walk right up it, I doubt a professional roofing crew will use safety anything unless they are compelled to.

I agree the shingles are likely done, terrible product

roof maintenance falls under construction regulation
work over 10 ft there must be a restraint system or fall arrest gear used
guard rail around a pitched roof ain't gonna work, so the guys have to be harnessed

sure you see people on roofs without that
but the Co and the workers are looking at fines if caught

in my industry the regulation is 6 ft.
that's getting a little silly

but a homeowner falling off his own roof is another matter
out of commission for a year with a broken spine or head injury
better hope he has some good insurance through work
your home policy ain't gonna help with that stupidity

On a related note, with all of the houses that lost shingles, I haven't seen a single one with tar paper. Wtf, they are saving what, $50 a house to have no backup membrane? Smh.

Even my shed has tar paper

Even my shed has tar paper

I used ice and water shield for the entire Grillzebo roof. :) Small areas make the cost manageable. The shingles are really just decoration and UV protection. It is a 6 pitch cross hip roof so there are a ton of intersections that could try and cause problems. No shingles lost in the storm though.

If do something, I have to do it right. It's a compulsion

Back
Top Bottom