Caught With No Insurance | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Caught With No Insurance

Exactly, OHIP will cover the hospitalization but they don't cover they years of physio that could be needed, or extended home care or lost wages

Look carefully at what the insurance industry has negotiated in the way of settlements for victims. It sucks as it is totally slanted towards the insurers.

It doesn't cover hit and run incidents unless you have a plate and it's been reported to police. And only then are you able to find out if the person has a valid policy or not to be covered under uninsured motorist. Subject to a 300 dollar deductible.

Hit and run with no other driver info if your damages aren't suspect would be covered under collision 0 percent fault but deductible applies, if the damages are extra suspect they would be covered as an at fault collision.
It actually does.

It's called "Uninsured Motorist Coverage". Every automobile insurance policy has to offer this, and it covers exactly this situation, plus hit-and-run accidents.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It doesn't cover hit and run incidents unless you have a plate and it's been reported to police. And only then are you able to find out if the person has a valid policy or not to be covered under uninsured motorist. Subject to a 300 dollar deductible.

Hit and run with no other driver info if your damages aren't suspect would be covered under collision 0 percent fault but deductible applies, if the damages are extra suspect they would be covered as an at fault collision.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
This is correct. My friend went through the latter case. Some ahole hit his parked car in a parking lot and ran. Insurance company (TD) called the dealer where the car was going to be repaired and confirmed the damage was caused by another vehicle. Buddy had to pay the deductible, but it was considered not-at-fault. TD paid for repairs and rental car.

biggest obsticle I can see is , yes we have last resort funding, OHIP and provincial victim funds. I've heard horror stories and would imagine multiple calls, weeks of waiting, mounting legal bills to sort and less than stellar attention . All because the other party was uninsured.

sorry OP, you may get some break if your a first offender and have decent council, but I would imagine after all the attention insured bikes have been getting you might get a couple extra smacks from an unfriendly judge.

Stay insured in the future

Yesterday, while I was riding near Grand Valley, ON, I was stopped by a Cop. First, he followed me for a km and then flashed the lights. I was riding within the speed limit (40 kmph), I had all the documents - insurance, ownership and DL - he inspected and okay'd. He mentioned to something that this is a new initiative, they are checking the motorcycles as its the beginning of the season and quite a few have been caught riding without insurance.
Overall, it was a pleasant interaction, we discussed quite a bit about bikes in general, but it was after the document check..
Thought, I will share it with you all...

Well, I am a newbie in this kind of situation.
First time being stopped by the Cops in 18 years of driving and 4 years of riding.

Well, I am a newbie in this kind of situation.
First time being stopped by the Cops in 18 years of driving and 4 years of riding.

I haven't had great experiences with cops while riding.

Had something similar to what you experienced a few years ago. Then the pieces of **** followed me after everything checked out okay. I made a right turn the same way I always do (*** off seat, knee out, at around 40km/h.) Cop followed some more. I pulled into a parking lot where a friend and was hanging with a bunch of firefighters. Cops followed me in, then turned around and left.

Power tripping pieces of ****.

油井緋色;2567259 said:
...Power tripping pieces of ****.

Speaking of power tripping ... had an odd run in with the popo once. I was driving, and as soon as I entered the highway, had a cop on my tail. Followed me for a bit and flashed the lights. I thought I was getting pulled over, so I start pulling over. Popo tuns off the lights and drives on like nothing happened. I figured he had some emergency, which got called off.

Around 5 min later I try to pass him, dude get's behind me, flashes lights again. I start to pull over, and again he turns off his lights and acted like nothing happened. Total d*ck.

Basically, he wouldn't let me pass him. Other cars were passing him just fine.

Last edited:
Speaking of power tripping ... had an odd run in with the popo once. I was driving, and as soon as I entered the highway, had a cop on my tail. Followed me for a bit and flashed the lights. I thought I was getting pulled over, so I start pulling over. Popo tuns off the lights and drives on like nothing happened. I figured he had some emergency, which got called off.

Around 5 min later I try to pass him, dude get's behind me, flashes lights again. I start to pull over, and again he turns off his lights and acted like nothing happened. Total d*ck.

Basically, he wouldn't let me pass him. Other cars were passing him just fine.

what kind of vehicle were you driving?

Yesterday, while I was riding near Grand Valley, ON, I was stopped by a Cop. First, he followed me for a km and then flashed the lights. I was riding within the speed limit (40 kmph), I had all the documents - insurance, ownership and DL - he inspected and okay'd. He mentioned to something that this is a new initiative, they are checking the motorcycles as its the beginning of the season and quite a few have been caught riding without insurance.
Overall, it was a pleasant interaction, we discussed quite a bit about bikes in general, but it was after the document check..
Thought, I will share it with you all...

being on the motorcycle screams out at cops. A couple years back, First day commuting on Eglington East towards the city, cop tailed me and pulled me over in the HOV lane. I pointed out that motorcycles were allowed. He didn't realise they changed the rules... 2 yrs before! lol.. If you're on a motorcycle, you get a lot of attention, meanwhile the driver in the or civic or crappy Corolla just blend in.. lol.

in a landmark case
SCC ruled 5-4 that police can stop a motorist without cause
to check for proper documentation
so we really can't blame the police for this

there was a time (1930's - mid 40's) and place where this was common
stopping people based on their appearance to check their papers
I thought the west had advanced from that sort of practice

in a landmark case
SCC ruled 5-4 that police can stop a motorist without cause
to check for proper documentation
so we really can't blame the police for this

there was a time (1930's - mid 40's) and place where this was common
stopping people based on their appearance to check their papers
I thought the west had advanced from that sort of practice

I don't mind police doing doc checks if they have prior experience that they are warranted. Getting uninsured/stolen riders/bikes off the road is fine by me. I would hope that their computer system includes an easily visible field that shows the last time you passed a doc check so you don't constantly waste your time.

If the police use the doc check as a fishing expedition to give out value added tickets for bikes with valid docs, I would be unimpressed.

I don't mind police doing doc checks if they have prior experience that they are warranted. Getting uninsured/stolen riders/bikes off the road is fine by me. I would hope that their computer system includes an easily visible field that shows the last time you passed a doc check so you don't constantly waste your time.

If the police use the doc check as a fishing expedition to give out value added tickets for bikes with valid docs, I would be unimpressed.

Their cars are equip with scanners that will scan license plates and show who the owner is, what license they have, and what insurance they have on file.

There is no ****ing excuse for pull anyone over that is not breaking the law if the above makes sense and matches.

I wish we had robot cops for low level **** like traffic....but of course, this would require sensible speed limits.

.......or hell, can we just get self driving cars and all manually driven vehicles off the road already? I know that includes us but.........I don't see a better cost effective solution at this point lol

And now this topic has gone way off topic <_<

I think that is accurate, unless you get pulled over by a cop on a horse carrying only a radio, I think they already have the required information on you, they're just trolling.

... speaking of which I once got pulled over by a cop on a horse and he said it was because he thought my headlight was flashing on and off :/ the road surface was pure washboard bumps, he was just trolling.

Last edited:
unless you have the greatest luck on that day expect to pay minimum $6005

油井緋色;2567283 said:
Their cars are equip with scanners that will scan license plates and show who the owner is, what license they have, and what insurance they have on file.

There is no ****ing excuse for pull anyone over that is not breaking the law if the above makes sense and matches.

You forgot that those plate scanners can't scan plates tucked under the bike.

That's a pretty good excuse for pulling a motorcyclist over.

Back
Top Bottom