Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc

sburns

Hey riders!

Recently I have been doing quick jolts on the 401, mostly getting my experience up as up until recently I just avoided it.

First thing I have noticed is it feels like a wind tunnel, with the wind just slapping you around. I guess this is normal?
Because of the speed or just more open and the air going around other vehicles?

that is to be expected

Your on a big ol cruiser so im surprised its still affecting you, but wind is always a factor to contend with on long highway rides

Another reason to take the back roads

Just go with the flow and let yourself move around a bit. Trying to keep yourself locked in position is just tiring and more likely to cause problems. It's just something you get used to (like expanded metal bridges).

It's not clear, are you concerned about the wind from going quickly or are you concerned about the blast off trucks?

yeah it's prolly the trucks
having them behind you is preferable
but the wobble is really not much of a concern
passing them though you have to be aware a possible side blast as soon as you get passed
although it's not proper riding technique, I move to the center of the lane for this
side blast can often be strong enough to move the bike a bit

On days that are super windy, give yourself a little room for movement in your lane away from cars. a strong gust can really push you around.
Days like that, i usually grip to my tank with my thighs a bit harder and try to lean more into the bike more to have less surface for wind to catch.

yeah it's prolly the trucks
having them behind you is preferable
but the wobble is really not much of a concern
passing them though you have to be aware a possible side blast as soon as you get passed
although it's not proper riding technique, I move to the center of the lane for this
side blast can often be strong enough to move the bike a bit

Who told you it wasn't proper riding technique?

yep, better to be relaxed on the bike at all times, instead of tense and stiff.

Especially on the handlebars

that is to be expected

Your on a big ol cruiser so im surprised its still affecting you, but wind is always a factor to contend with on long highway rides

Another reason to take the back roads

Yes this is what I am surprised as well, with the big bat wind, but it seems the wind comes at me from all directions out there.
But then again I am sitting a little higher with the police seat, which is getting replaced soon! Might be help.

Agreed I mostly stay on the back country roads, but I do notice way less wind out there (besides the odd open field wind blasts), and I am only going somewhat slower.

Last edited:
It's not clear, are you concerned about the wind from going quickly or are you concerned about the blast off trucks?

A bit of everything. I've only done a few runs on the big highways. Just so different to me from the rest of the roads.
My Noob observations/feelings I guess :lmao:

Yes this is what I am surprised as well, with the big bat wind, but it seems the wind comes at me from all directions out there.
But then again I am sitting a little higher with the police seat, which is getting replaced soon! Might be help.

Agreed I mostly stay on the back country roads, but I do notice way less wind out there (besides the odd open field wind blasts), and I am only going somewhat slower.

@sburns

The EG/SG batwings are prone to the effects of the wind.

Road Glide having a fixed fairing cut through nicer. Looks wise, are polarizing. It’s why I prefer a RG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind, ultimately you are on a motorcycle, and comfort will always be a relative thing. Even on a goldwing you will not be as comfortable as perhaps you would in a car/SUV

forums are for exchange of info

not opportunities to go ahah! you're wrong!

Oh my friend, you seem new to the internet

I haven't felt wind issues for the past 4~ seasons.

My obsession with becoming a better rider taught me that only the core and lowerbody should ever be flexed.

Human instinct will tell us to tighten our arms. This is completely wrong. Flexed arms (or death gripping the handle bar) causes a feedback loop between anything that your body feels to the bike. This includes bumps, wind, and at worst tank slappers.

To understand this, lets go through the tank slapper example first:

1. Rider causes a ton of weight transfer from rear to front; this always involve loss of speed. Coming down from wheelies is the most common scenario, but hard acceleration and dropping the throttle can cause this too
  2. Front wheel lands too far to the side
  3. Gyroscopic force causes the front to over-correct to the other-side
  4. Rider freaks out, death grips bars
  5. Further weight transfer is induced by more deceleration due to freaking out
  6. Death gripping of bars causes the rider to worsen the over-correcting loop from the gyroscopic forces, which now has the operator putting more force in
  7. Crash
To solve the above: loosen grip on bars, get on the gas.

What happens with wind is very similar to the above. Wind hits stiff body, body tries to tighten up, rider death grips hand bars, the wind's effect on the body now causes the death gripping hands to do stupid **** (like push or pull on handlebars), and now the bike feels like it's being pushed by the wind.

Loosen your upper body; become the wind.

Last edited:
I am less interested in the wind and more interested in:
"FINANCING AVAILABLE. ALL CREDITS APPROVED. RATES START FROM 4.9% OAC. ZERO DOWN IS POSSIBLE. I'M 100% SERIOUS. PM ME!"

Back
Top Bottom