Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc

Re: Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc

it helps me not to wear baggy gear/cloths and relaxing on the grips
    you only live twice

Quote Originally Posted by sburns View Post
    Go on... sounds like you know something nobody else does.....
    lol good1
    Riding a motard on hwy is a whole other level of riding practice...those bikes are not meant to go fast, and aerodynamics suck!
    Best to relax & focus on becoming one with the bike, especially passing big rigs...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Does your windshield adjust? Maybe the flow of the windshield is just at the wrong spot for your height and riding position.

For bonus pucker points for those around you, is your helmet gold by any chance?
    Unfortunately no it doesn't. But I am adjusting the seat to bring me down which might help a few things.

Gold helmet no, why do you ask. Should I get one. I think sometimes other drivers think I am a cop any way (ex-cop bike) would a gold helmet give them more to think about
    See you out there - 2012 HD Electra Glide

Unfortunately no it doesn't. But I am adjusting the seat to bring me down which might help a few things.

Gold helmet no, why do you ask. Should I get one. I think sometimes other drivers think I am a cop any way (ex-cop bike) would a gold helmet give them more to think about
    OPP golden helmets are the display team.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Lots of protein out there the other day for open faced helmet people. Might want to check your helmet size. 100 earplugs are twelve dollars at Walmart, Hearing Aids are over two grand. Wear your earplugs or become deaf like the rest of us lunkheads.
    Oh, my long ride on Monday the bike was plastered with bugs. At one point I did a quick stop to check where the heck I was on the iPhone etc.. then started riding again and within a minute of so, a big bug hit me right on the sunglasses...Ffff... stopped again to wipe off that..

Ya I know the wind does impact you, also pluging seems to dull the senses...but yes don't want to be hearing impaired either....

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    OPP golden helmets are the display team.
    I thought that was what you were getting at. I saw them at one of the shows earlier this year. Learned some new stuff from them.

Ya I know the wind does impact you, also pluging seems to dull the senses...but yes don't want to be hearing impaired either....
    doesn't take long to get used to wearing the plugs
    and after that you wonder why everyone doesn't use them

but I suppose the communicator users would disagree

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post

It doesn't interfere with the communicator on my helmets, the quietness (or lack thereof) of the helmet itself interferes.
    The old helmet isn't particularly quiet, but it is a full face, the new one is a flip up, and is so noisy in the wind, that I can't hear the speakers properly even at full volume.

After enough seat time you'll only notice the wind by how often you need to stop, and when another vehicle gets blown into your lane.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Everyone likes to think that they may be the smartest person in the room, but sometimes that only occurs when we're alone!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post

I just started using ear plugs about two weeks ago and wow what a difference. Don't think I will ever go back now. I also installed a communicator at the same time and have no issue hearing with the plugs in. Others may have had different results.

Ya I know the wind does impact you, also pluging seems to dull the senses..
    you can't hear at 100db + ambient noise and it ruins your ears. They shut down to protect themselves ( if you've been to a rock concert then you know the cotton wool after the concert ).

Earplugs attenuate sound ....think about a siren .....if it's up close it's ear splitting...if it's blocks away it is still audible but not ear damaging.
    That's what attenuation is ...it effectively reduces the loud sounds created buy the wind flow in your help and "moves you away" from them.

You can still hear things going on....just further away. The one guarantee is if you keep riding at highway speeds without plugs you soon enough will damage your hearing.
    There are lots of options

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS x 2 both sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/ya9jsh6a