Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc

Re: Wind on big highways 401 - 400 etc

Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Loosen your upper body; become the wind.
    Thanks for the feedback. All very good.

This last part made me think of the Matrix... there is no spoon!
    [COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]
    See you out there - 2012 HD Electra Glide

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    @sburns

The EG/SG batwings are prone to the effects of the wind.

Road Glide having a fixed fairing cut through nicer. Looks wise, are polarizing. It’s why I prefer a RG.
    Dammit... ah ok.
    An yes RG yhesshh ugly... but hey if it cuts out wind then I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    I am less interested in the wind and more interested in:
    "FINANCING AVAILABLE. ALL CREDITS APPROVED. RATES START FROM 4.9% OAC. ZERO DOWN IS POSSIBLE. I'M 100% SERIOUS. PM ME!"

Hehe... It's legit, I know a guy.
    Last edited by Mina; 05-16-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    Oh my friend, you seem new to the internet
    still trying to fight the good fight bro

Wind impact is scary when you first feel it, after a while you probably won't notice it at all.

You might have felt a little fear from the twitch a the tar snakes gave you when you first started riding - that passed quickly. Big wind its the same, sooner or later you'll only notice the big blasts (they feel like a soft punch), even those won't bother you.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    blocking position?

if you know different, speak up?

forums are for exchange of info

not opportunities to go ahah! you're wrong!
    You might want to stay out of the "I saw you" thread lmao- they'll hang you out if they don't think you are riding with the right eye colour lol

this is useful

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/mississauga

stay off the downwind corner of transports - especially B-rigs with two trailers... the vortex is stunning.

If you can cruise in the windshadow of a big rig it's very nice on a windy day.

On two lane road with a cross wind ...the down wind side of an oncoming truck can really slam you around.

I assume you wear earplugs.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Last edited by JavaFan; 05-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xrljoel View Post
    The guy with a Che Guevara avatar introduces sensibility to a political discussion???

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    To solve the above: loosen grip on bars, get on the gas.

What happens with wind is very similar to the above. Wind hits stiff body, body tries to tighten up, rider death grips hand bars, the wind's effect on the body now causes the death gripping hands to do stupid **** (like push or pull on handlebars), and now the bike feels like it's being pushed by the wind.

Loosen your upper body; become the wind.
    +1

Some people will say "it's because you have a big bike", and others will say "it's because you have a small light bike", but when it comes down to it, just grip the tank with your knees, and keep your hands loose.

Unless you're riding with 50km/h+ winds hitting you from the side, you should be okay. Even so, knees hugging the tank + loose grip is still the way to go.

Other factor would be large trucks. You should be staying away from them anyway and never pacing beside them (unless you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic). Gas it out of there.

Same applies for a car. Closing up your knees depends if you need to pee.
    Last edited by PLau; 05-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    2007 Black CBR125 - SOLD!

Grey Ninja 300 SE Abs -

Layer up for when you lay'er down.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    blocking position?

if you know different, speak up?

forums are for exchange of info

not opportunities to go ahah! you're wrong!
    It's the way I was taught. Don't get so defensive, I was going to say ahah! you're right, but thought you were wrong! I'm just trying to get some online verification, which is difficult. I'm pretty sure it was in an Gearing Up presentation (probably also in the MSF), showing that you start in the truck's rearview, but go wide and accelerate briskly as you start your pass, some of the reasons are the wind, limiting your time in the blindspot, giving your self more space if he decides to move, and not buzzing him like Top Gun's Maverick buzzed the control tower. I'll double check in a week or two when I talk to a couple of people with over 5,000 hours teaching people how to ride.

As for wind, you hold the bars like you would a little kid, you don't crush them, but you don't let go either, give them room to wiggle and correct, but not go off in a new direction.
    For the most part the bike will correct itself from the wind, if you haven't added any extra inputs to it, or tried to hold it rigid, but you also need to stay in your lane.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I talk to a couple of people with over 5,000 hours teaching people how to ride.
    you mean the ones that tell you to use high beams all the time?

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    I do that during the daylight hours

thanks for the clarification Baggsy, and I'll follow your advice
    Quote Originally Posted by xrljoel View Post
    The guy with a Che Guevara avatar introduces sensibility to a political discussion???

No you have me mistaken for someone else.

The ones who tell you to ride the outside of the curve until you can see around it, if I'm not mistaken about your disagreement.

Everyone is right, relax your body and learn to deal with it. My Magna gets tossed around a LOT on the highway, I tend to tighten up my knees on the tank and let it dance.

The ones who tell you to ride the outside of the curve until you can see around it,
    hehe...so you are right in the line of fire of the centre line straddler coming the other way .....yeah problably the same bunch advising you to do that

this is useful

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/mississauga

stay off the downwind corner of transports - especially B-rigs with two trailers... the vortex is stunning.

If you can cruise in the windshadow of a big rig it's very nice on a windy day.

On two lane road with a cross wind ...the down wind side of an oncoming truck can really slam you around.

I assume you wear earplugs.
    Thanks for this, earplugs kinda sometimes. Still figuring that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by JP0160 View Post
    Everyone is right, relax your body and learn to deal with it. My Magna gets tossed around a LOT on the highway, I tend to tighten up my knees on the tank and let it dance.
    I don't feel tense or ridge on the highway, I'm not sure where all that came from, just the wind feeling like it's slapping me around. Like a bunch of invisible hands batting at you.

The other thing my helmet felt like it was going to lift off my head, so I tilted it a bit down. Hehe I have a half helmet so I guess it goes with the territory.

Good input all around thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by sburns View Post
    I don't feel tense or ridge on the highway, I'm not sure where all that came from, just the wind feeling like it's slapping me around. Like a bunch of invisible hands batting at you.

The other thing my helmet felt like it was going to lift off my head, so I tilted it a bit down. Hehe I have a half helmet so I guess it goes with the territory.

Good input all around thanks everyone!
    Does your windshield adjust? Maybe the flow of the windshield is just at the wrong spot for your height and riding position.

For bonus pucker points for those around you, is your helmet gold by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by sburns View Post
    I don't feel tense or ridge on the highway, I'm not sure where all that came from, just the wind feeling like it's slapping me around. Like a bunch of invisible hands batting at you. The other thing my helmet felt like it was going to lift off my head, so I tilted it a bit down. Hehe I have a half helmet so I guess it goes with the territory. Good input all around thanks everyone!
    Lots of protein out there the other day for open faced helmet people. Might want to check your helmet size. 100 earplugs are twelve dollars at Walmart, Hearing Aids are over two grand. Wear your earplugs or become deaf like the rest of us lunkheads.