Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • Don't know/Undecided

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
^ the competition part is what differentiates them

Oxford and Cambridge can't agree on the colour of the sky

and there is a forum tool to allow a member to never see posts from people they deem stupid

I'd consider a sport to require serious physical input. Any level of competition riding, probably taking some effort. Me leaving the garage and riding to the harbor? no

Baseball ? no , its a passtime. You stand around and run a little. Are the good players atheletes ? yes they are, but not so much when playing ball.

I race yachts. Its not a sport, I've won events with a beer in my hand.

It just doesn't matter. Go for a ride.

Motorcycling is not a sport.

Motorcycle racing is a sport.

competing and it's a sport. Motorsport but still a sport and requires physical conditioning to perform at a elite level.

It's not necessarily a sport, but it can be. It's an ACTIVITY, and sometimes activities can be sports but first there has to be a challenge.

A CHALLENGE is anything that is done to try and complete a new task, or an old one better. An example of a challenge might be detailing your bike's engine for the first time, or doing it faster than last time.

Some challenges can become CONTESTS if they're between two or more people. An example of a contest would be who has the loudest bike.

Contests become COMPETITIONS when there are well defined rules, judging, and awards. An example of a competition might be a sanctioned build-off.

None of those examples are a SPORT, but any challenge, contest, or competition can be a sport if they require a high degree of physical effort. Track riding is a challenge that's a sport. Longest wheelie might be a sporting contest. And of course racing is an obvious competitive sport.

Next question.

Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

I consider it a mode of transportation, even if it's only half the year. I enjoy both riding and driving

I commute almost daily on my bike.

Inb4 old fart complains about esports.

油井緋色;2566458 said:
Inb4 old fart complains about esports.

At least e-Sports gets you e-Rekt.

Is xcountry skiing not a sport ???

I'd say any activity with specialized equipment and some aspect of physical ability/endurance/training is a sport.

There are competitions within sport categories.

There are organized events within sport categories.

I'd compared solo motorcycle riding with the sport of sailplaning - training, equipment and licencing ....then you take it to the level you want from casual flying/riding to organized and/or competitive events.

In sailplaning you have recognized achievements - climbs, endurance etc - motorcycles have things like the Saddlesore, then all sorts of competitions in both ...right out to sanctioning racing.

So yeah ..it's a sport IMNSHO :D

Some of you forget how alien and difficult motorcycling appears to JohnQ public ...and how much ability it takes to go play in traffic.

If there is no competition it isn't a sport.

It is a sport if you are in a competition or in training. It is also a sport of you are trying to set a personal best.

Street racing is a competition and therefore a sport although stupid and illegal. Dog fighting is also a sport.

If you actively acquire more bling on your bike to look pumped at a Timmie's it's a sport.

Loud pipes is a sport for some with trophies on the table.

If you ride to work to brag about how much faster and gas efficient you are compared to the plods it is a sport.

To everyone that says it's a sport, please advise your insurer so they can cancel your policy or at least double your rates.

Nowadays making stupid posts on an online forum is a sport.

Then again, the mental gymnastics required to deal with pedestrians, cyclist, cagers, etc with their heads up their arse could be considered sport...

It is a sport if you are in a competition or in training. It is also a sport of you are trying to set a personal best.

Street racing is a competition and therefore a sport although stupid and illegal. Dog fighting is also a sport.

If you actively acquire more bling on your bike to look pumped at a Timmie's it's a sport.

If you ride to work to brag about how much faster and gas efficient you are compared to the plods it is a sport.

To everyone that says it's a sport, please advise your insurer so they can cancel your policy or at least double your rates.

haha! Bravo! Best post so far :lmao:

Then again, the mental gymnastics required to deal with pedestrians, cyclist, cagers, etc with their heads up their arse could be considered sport...
So anyone who's mentally handicapped is an athlete. Sure.

I'm not sure if you are sarcastic here...
:tongue8:
I guess: majority of COMPETITIONS are SHOW for one side and BUSINESS for the other side, that has less to nothing to do with the sport, though if one checks "SPORTS" definitions in Wiki - it is... Am I right or Wiki is rightER???

ESL perhaps??

let's see chess and eating hotdogs and Jeopardy are sports but mountain climbing, scuba diving, flying a sailplane etc ad nauseum are not ...got it. ...:rolleyes:

If it was a sport it would be in the Olympics. Like synchronized swimming or table tennis.

Some ride aggressively, long distances and spirited. Therefore their ride is physically/mentally very demanding. To them it probably feels more like a sport.

Some commute or cruise around and ride for leisure and therefore might not find riding physically/mentally very taxing.

So while the definition can be argued over based on what dictionary you look at, this poll is really more just a reflection of how people ride IMO.

Back
Top Bottom