I motorcycling a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • Don't know/Undecided

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
With out the competition or track days, hard riding, etc. ....NO. just a hobby, pastime, lifestyle, etc. if just casual rides and commuting and maybe even touring.

Sport to me is exertion and precision, etc.

so pleasure use does not qualify

Is xcountry skiing not a sport ???

I'd say any activity with specialized equipment and some aspect of physical ability/endurance/training is a sport.

There are competitions within sport categories.

There are organized events within sport categories.

I'd compared solo motorcycle riding with the sport of sailplaning - training, equipment and licencing ....then you take it to the level you want from casual flying/riding to organized and/or competitive events.

In sailplaning you have recognized achievements - climbs, endurance etc - motorcycles have things like the Saddlesore, then all sorts of competitions in both ...right out to sanctioning racing.

So yeah ..it's a sport IMNSHO :D

Some of you forget how alien and difficult motorcycling appears to JohnQ public ...and how much ability it takes to go play in traffic.

Last edited:
You get your motorcycling license. You don't do track days. You don't go dirtbiking. You don't race for timing/trophies/money. You commute to work. You go riding with your buddies and then hang out at the Timmies parking lot.

Is this a sport?

Opinions?

you are never going to get good at riding motorcycles that way.

Oxford:

Sport, noun

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an
individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So cross country skiing is not a sport, swimming, rowing not a sport ...horsepucky.

Definition of sport:
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

An active pastime; recreation.
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/139670/difference-between-game-and-sport

It does not need to be competitive ...that's a game or competition.

Is snowboarding a sport ???
Yes.
So is motorcycling.

.....Did you truncate Oxford

sport
NOUN

1An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
‘team sports such as soccer and rugby’

mass noun ‘I used to play a lot of sport’
‘a sports centre’
More example sentencesSynonyms

1.1sportsBritish An occasion on which people compete in various athletic activities.
‘I won the 200 metres in the school sports’

1.2mass noun, usually with adjective Success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting or fishing.

Last edited:
I think its seen as a "sport" here. Seasonal activity. Other places its more a means of transport. I would call Track Riding and MX more of a "sport" but everyday riding, not so much

So cross country skiing is not a sport, swimming, rowing not a sport ...horsepucky.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/139670/difference-between-game-and-sport

It does not need to be competitive ...that's a game or competition.

Is snowboarding a sport ???
Yes.
So is motorcycling.

non competitive snowboarding, rowing, swimming etc are not sports, they are leisure activities

do you also think that taking a dip in the lake after 4 beers on the dock is a sport just because you are swimming??

sure, they all can be, if you're competing
if you're doing it for solely exercise and fun, then no

here, I'll help you understand

this is a sport, a highly skilled, competitive athlete

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/vwHjbn8.jpg[/img]

and this is not a sport, it's exercise :)

oRFVBu9.jpg

Motorcycling in toronto could be considered a sport

Avoid the u-turning taxi
The jay walking pedestrian coming out between cars
The guy busy on his phone swerving in your lane
And the odd idiot that wants to kill you just because
Or again the guy who starts a left turn only to realise theres pedestrians or a bicycle to stop in the middle of the 2 lanes

Actually when im on the motorcycle my heart rate increases a bit...but that could also be the adrenaline

don't forget drinking sports :eek:ccasion5:
shopping sports (added that one for the wife)
playing video game sports (the kids)
and all the hotdogs you can eat sports (the dog)

don't forget drinking sports :eek:ccasion5:
shopping sports (added that one for the wife)
playing video game sports (the kids)
and all the hotdogs you can eat sports (the dog)

Or stupid ****ing comment sports( added that one for Trials).

bummer, I wanted to see what you would say and you come out with that

According to the Cambridge dictionary, it is indeed a sport.

But i feel it really depends on your riding style and duration. If you take the bike out for a cruise around the block, i personally dont consider it a sport. But if you go for an aggressive ride twisties for hours, specially in full leather on a hot day, i absolutely call it a sport because its both physically and mentally demanding.

As others mentioned, competition is one aspect of sports but not a necessary element to define a sport. Also, lets not forget that whenever youre riding, youre competing against all the elements that are trying to kill you and your prize is survival lol

Anyhow, this is the dictionary definition that i found:

uk /spɔːt/ us /spɔːrt/

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sport

sportnounA1 [ C ] a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job:

Football, basketball, and hockey are all team sports.

I enjoy winter sports like skiing and skating.

Last edited:
There are many activities deemed "sports" that involve much less physical exertion and mental acuity than riding a motorcycle, especially the "sport", "sport touring" and "super sport" varieties. I dunno about you guys but I can feel strengthening of my core, back, forearm and whatever muscles there are used to squeeze the legs together coming, especially out of winter hibernation. A few hours on the bike can leave one pretty exhausted.

Most activities that result in one's fitness level going up and which leaves one feeling exhilarated and on an adrenaline-high would be safe to characterize as "sports." Why not motorcycling?

Back
Top Bottom