Is motorcycling really a "sport"? - Page 3



View Poll Results: I motorcycling a sport?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 23.91%
  • No

    32 69.57%
  • Don't know/Undecided

    3 6.52%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

  1. #41

    Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

    Forum Sponsor
    It can be whatever you like it to be.

    Cracking the biggest cheese cut with your buddies can be a sport too, you just have to believe hard enough.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Toronto, GL1500
    Posts
    5,826

    Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    ESL perhaps??

    let's see chess and eating hotdogs and Jeopardy are sports but mountain climbing, scuba diving, flying a sailplane etc ad nauseum are not ...got it. ...

    "He who has the most toys when he dies, wins."

    Therefore making more money than is needed to survive is a sport.

    Climbing a mountain is an activity unless it's a race to the top. Poker and tiddlywinks are competitions.

    Climbing a mountain to impress a chick and win her heart away from someone else I guess would then make it a competition and therefore a sport. It's as fuzzy as you want to make it.

    Oil thread anyone?

  3. #43
    Lightcycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    No Fixed Addess
    Posts
    3,694

    Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

    Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    It's as fuzzy as you want to make it.
    As is expected with something as imprecise as language.

    I was more interested in the results of the poll. Because there have been many cases of misused words that are now accepted as "proper" because so many people have misused it.

    In the end, what language is is a way to communicate your point so the most amount of people understand it, so if enough people agree on a definition, than that's what it ends up meaning.

    Heartened to know that so many people don't define non-competitive motorcycling a sport.

    Surprised that almost a quarter of the respondents do...
    Last edited by Lightcycle; Today at 09:38 AM.

  4. #44

    Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    As is expected with something as imprecise as language.

    I was more interested in the results of the poll. Because there have been many cases of misused words that are now accepted as "proper" because so many people have misused it.

    In the end, what language is is a way to communicate your point so the most amount of people understand it, so if enough people agree on a definition, than that's what it ends up meaning.

    Heartened to know that so many people don't define non-competitive motorcycling a sport.

    Surprised that almost a quarter of the respondents do...
    “Non-competitive motorcycling” is too vague.

    Riding a Goldwing across the prairies and riding at a trackday could both be considered “non-competitive motorcycling”

  5. #45
    Lightcycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    No Fixed Addess
    Posts
    3,694

    Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

    Quote Originally Posted by caboose56 View Post
    “Non-competitive motorcycling” is too vague.

    Riding a Goldwing across the prairies and riding at a trackday could both be considered “non-competitive motorcycling”
    The parameters were already laid out in the first post. Was just being lazy with "non-competitive".

  6. #46

    Re: Is motorcycling really a "sport"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    The parameters were already laid out in the first post. Was just being lazy with "non-competitive".
    Ah, based on those parameters... not it is not

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •