Sportbike back packs? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbike back packs?

3 days is a lot for just a small back pack, check out side cases that mount on sportbike passenger peg brackets. Shrike makes one.

I could fit 3 days in a school book bag really. I'm just looking for something designed by a rider for a rider...

That's basically what I bought, a kid size school book bag, mostly for a rain suit plus food & drinks. Important things I look for is; can I get some ventilation between me and the backpack or even through the backpack material, can I transfer weighty objects to the bike, and it must not interfere with my helmet when I tilt my head all the way back :/ because my neck is cranked back a lot on the sportbike with clip on bars.
I don't care if it's waterproof because I can put keep dry things in plastic bags.

Any backpack with a sternum strap works just fine. Though mine gets bungee netted to my seat almost all of the time. Though a tail bag is a better alternative, especially if it has straps to wear as a backpack too. My tankbag does, but I prefer not to have a tankbag, if possible, on a sport bike.

I bought a Black Diamond 16 litre backpack from Mountain Equipment on sale for $60ish. It works fine, but two things, I should have bought a 20 litre, just a little more room and I should have bought a backpack that has the waterproof cover. I agree with Riceburner, any backpack with a sternum strap will work fine, just make sure it has the waterproofing.

I just found one that looks like a Captain America Shield :D how cool would that be

Last edited:
The kriega r30 is waterproof but it looks too big and a big jump in price. I think the r25 will do but I might check out the r20 as well...

What are you going to carry in it that needs to be kept dry, a rain suit? My rain suit covers my back pack once I put it on.

The R30 is more than weather water resistant and less than fully waterproof like a true drybag. Having said that, I've had a DSLR in there while people turned waterhoses and emptied big buckets of water on me for hours and the contents stayed dry enough. I doubt it would keep the contents dry for long if fully submerged underwater or even if it fell into water briefly.

I also have an R25 (Gen1) and R20. The nylon surface wets out rapidly and everything inside gets wet rather quickly and disappointingly. Definitely carry some kind of plastic bags with those. I use a 10L drybag inside the R25. Expand when needed and collapse when not. The R30 is way better to use IMO and collapses down to a way smaller sack via the compression straps if required.

However if you are a light packer and want a waterproof knapsack, there are drybags with backpack straps sonically welded onto them that are way cheaper than an R30. In my experience, they are not as heavy duty and cannot carry heavy loads and might have shoes or something hard digging into your back. If your ride with a backpad then this might not be an issue. These backpacks tend to be neither up for motorcycle duty nor mountain bike duty. YMMV

I am a bit worried about the size difference from r20 to r25 to r30. One thing I hate is sitting up and having the bag resting on the paspassenger seat or tail section paint. On top of that I might add a tail bag so I don't want the 2 pushing on each other making me uncomfortable on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom