Tips for riding with young passengers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for riding with young passengers

Thanks for all the tips. We spent a couple days finding properly fitting gear for him, I know he will outgrow it but that's what kids do. We have had trouble finding an armored jacket in his size so we got him one of those motocross suits with a sweater overtop of it. Vox helmet XS fits his head shape nicely, strap done all the way up and there is no excessive movement. Thor armored motocross gloves, high quality hiking boots. Those harnesses should have some sort of breakaway engineered into them, but honestly I like the idea of him tied to me so in the worst case he won't go sliding off into oncoming traffic by himself.

The attention span is a good point. He probably would be bored after more than 15 minutes. He was getting a little antsy and yelling "Hello!" to everyone during the last minute of our ride the other day

They also die way more often. Look at the accident statistics in any of these "not as many rules" countries and you'll see that people are maimed and killed on motorcycles daily.

In those countries, people die much more often regardless of what they are doing, as everything has a heightened element of physical danger/threat.

In my MSF class, instructor told stories of students from vietnam who rode back home and rode circles around everyone in the course(including instructors)
because back home they used to ride around/through actual(abandoned)minefields.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the passenger has to be 14 years old.

My son is 4. I'm sure he'd love it too.

IIRC, a politician had this brilliant (/sarcasm) idea and tried to get it passed but it never became law.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with a 5 yo on a street bike, but I am not going to judge others as each situation is different. That harness looks like a great idea. I have had adults fall asleep on the bike before and they kept holding on. I would hate to have a kid literally fall off the bike.

The only stipulation is the passenger’s feet must rest firmly on the passenger foot rests.

No age requirement.

I did take my son from Port Dalhousie to Chippewa a couple of weekends ago. He is 9 and it’s the first year for his feet to reach the pegs properly.

I have a back rest and I never got past 3 gear on the parkway. It’s rated at 60 KPH.

He wasn’t geared up like I would prefer so, that is the next thing before the next trip.

There was enough going on that he didn’t fall asleep. Helicopters, cool cars, other bikes, the river and falls, stopping for donuts etc.

He’s wanted to ride all his life. My daughters are older and ride with me and with proper gear.

83343494665cf3d19506c5bb9d4bade9.jpg

I don’t have a pick of our first ride. It was spontaneous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the tips. We spent a couple days finding properly fitting gear for him, I know he will outgrow it but that's what kids do. We have had trouble finding an armored jacket in his size so we got him one of those motocross suits with a sweater overtop of it. Vox helmet XS fits his head shape nicely, strap done all the way up and there is no excessive movement. Thor armored motocross gloves, high quality hiking boots. Those harnesses should have some sort of breakaway engineered into them, but honestly I like the idea of him tied to me so in the worst case he won't go sliding off into oncoming traffic by himself.

The attention span is a good point. He probably would be bored after more than 15 minutes. He was getting a little antsy and yelling "Hello!" to everyone during the last minute of our ride the other day

My little guy was riding with me at 7. I still have a really nice armored jacket and barely used motocross boots. PM if interested; I'll give you my email address so I can send pics

My son turns 7 in July and has been asking about going for a ride on my bike. I haven't taken him yet, partially due to his attention span (or lack thereof), and partially due to the other wonderful GTA drivers. He could legally ride with me as his feet easily reach the pegs. The irony of that rule is that the least safe bikes are the ones they'll legally be able to be a passenger on the soonest; sportbikes with their high passenger pegs but fully exposed vs. a touring bike with their low floorboards but built in backrest and armrests to help hold the passenger in.:rolleyes:

You street riders are nuts!

Get both of you dirt bikes and go have fun where cars aren't trying to kill you.

Get both of you dirt bikes and go have fun where cars aren't trying to kill you.
I may just do that. Moving a couple hours outside the GTA in 6 weeks. I started at 8 years old, so why not for my kids? We'll have access to the space.

:thumbup: where your kid can actually learn to ride a motorcycle instead of just being luggage.

This.

If i ever get my kid a bike, it will be on dirt.

I ride with my kids (started when son was 10) and have had all 3 of them now on the bike. Bought a belt that has two handles at the front sides and the younger 2 really like it, but it gets some weird looks if I forget to take it off in a store.

This is the belt thing: http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor...tion/oxford_rider_grips_pillion_grab_handles/

Take it easy at first. Go over a few simple rules - do's and don'ts. Have fun. Don't wheelie.

j

edit: also check if you can adjust anything on the rear suspension for added weight as they get bigger - increased air pressure at least.

All good tips for sure. We have been taking it easy, a few km's every few days, all has been well. Picked him up from school today on it! Biggest smile ever. Less than 1km away from home. Might help to mention I'm on an old 84 Magna so no wheelies, crazy leans or hooligan stuff. No real adjustment for the extra weight, I'm already on 5/5 rear preload Maybe they are air assisted, I'm not sure... No sissy bar though, I can't see it looking half-way decent on my bike. She needs a cleaning.

k0gbohc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom