Tips for riding with young passengers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for riding with young passengers

JP0160

My 5 y/o son recently started asking to come on my bike, so we bought him a helmet and gloves a few weeks ago. We've been over the 'rules' many times: Always hold on tight, lean with me in the corners, never be silly and never be scared. We went on our first ride yesterday and he had a blast, but it was my first time having a passenger and I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about riding a bike 2-up. Do you guys have any tips?

edit: just to clarify we went out for about 5km in a 40kph subdivision, not on the 401 lol.

Last edited:
If he can manage, have him put arms around your waist and lock fingers, you'd be amazed how fast and easy a young one can fall asleep on the back of your bike, be ready for it!

"Ontario law currently has no age limit in place, but the Highway Traffic Act does contain a provision stating that motorcycle passengers must be able to place both feet on passenger footrests while seated."

5 seems very young to ride pillion. But I don't have kids so what do I know?

You might consider a "harness", something like this:

riderbelt-main.jpg

to ensure he stays on the bike behind you.

Ride or die bruh, 125cc single

My 5 y/o son recently started asking to come on my bike, so we bought him a helmet and gloves a few weeks ago. We've been over the 'rules' many times: Always hold on tight, lean with me in the corners, never be silly and never be scared. We went on our first ride yesterday and he had a blast, but it was my first time having a passenger and I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about riding a bike 2-up. Do you guys have any tips?

edit: just to clarify we went out for about 5km in a 40kph subdivision, not on the 401 lol.
I have 2 of those child safety harnesses shown below, my kids have outgrown them. You are welcome to one if you like, it takes all the worry out of it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

He is 3' 11" and reaches both passenger pegs comfortably, and he is only a couple inches away from his fingertips touching when wrapping around me. Thanks for the offer Iceman, that one puts the child in the back right? Might take you up on that

we're so spoiled here in the west, people do a lot more, with a lot less everywhere else

My only concern with children is falling asleep. I give them a squeeze and they squeeze back.

That and we point out things we see on the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I'd want a child strapped to my back like a backpack :| might not be good in a get off, did you ever have a get-off wearing a backpack? sometimes the backpack don't fair so well. :D Maybe some velcro ? fuzzy jacket on you and hook jacket on the kid

If he can reach the pegs, the buddy belt(or similar) is the best idea I've seen. Saw a kid asleep on the back using one in the Rockies ages ago.
EvansOffCamber-PreciousCargo-Belt-633x389.jpg

Same thing...without the hard handles...
http://www.ridingbelt.com/

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/evans-camber-precious-cargo-riding-kids.html
I have two of those exact models. Full five point body harness for the kid with adjustable neck support/roll, a set of handles for them to hold and a really thick belt for the rider. My kids loved them as they felt more secure.

He is 3' 11" and reaches both passenger pegs comfortably, and he is only a couple inches away from his fingertips touching when wrapping around me. Thanks for the offer Iceman, that one puts the child in the back right? Might take you up on that
Yeah they sit behind you in a full body harness with handles and all, very secure.

Get him the best gear you can afford. Period.
He's completely at your mercy - if you screw up or somebody else causes an incident with you, and he's in lousy gear or nearly none, he's going to pay the price for the rest of his life.

we're so spoiled here in the west, people do a lot more, with a lot less everywhere else

They also die way more often. Look at the accident statistics in any of these "not as many rules" countries and you'll see that people are maimed and killed on motorcycles daily.

to each their own of course
but I would not take my kids on the bike until >10

Agreed. At 5, maybe around the subdivision, but not without 110% proper gear...which is a bit of a waste to invest in for a 5YO that's not only going to outgrow it in a year (if, as mentioned, you can even find proper gear for a child that size), but also won't use it much.

Kids <10-12 have very limited attention spans and although I don't doubt that any kid in that age would be blown away with a ride on a motorcycle, 20-30 minutes later boredom will set in and they start to lose focus, or worse yet, as mentioned, fall asleep.

And IMHO they shouldn't be leaning whatsoever as a 5YO isn't going to fully grasp that and might very well end up leaning themselves right off the bike. Whenever I have a passenger (adult, or kid alike) I tell them to simply keep their back firmly planted on the sissy bar and let me worry about everything. I tell them their one and only job is to wave at passing motorcycles, that's it!

Back
Top Bottom