DIY suspension setup - need helpers | GTAMotorcycle.com

DIY suspension setup - need helpers

jimnto

I downloaded a suspension setup worksheet. It requires two extra guys. One to hold the bike and the other to measure different things (like how much the suspension bounces back in the front and in the back).

So I wonder if this is something guys help each other with? Also - my used bike had the suspension lowered in the front and back and I am curious whether the geometry is set correctly.

It is a 2003 VSTROM Dl1000 and my particular question is bumps on curves on the highway seem to cause just a slight...jiggle?... Oscillation?...Wiggle?..
Anyway I seem to think a bike should be able to take a bump on a slight curve on the highway and stay perfectly on track but hell maybe I am overly sensitive..

Is there a meetup around town and would guys trade rides for comparison?

Sorry about the 20 questions.

I live downtown near the St. Lawrence Market.

You're dealing with a lot of variables here, a 15 year old bike with what (if any) suspension upgrades over its life that has also been lowered (?)
Best suggestion - take it to someone that specializes in this kind of work, http://www.acceltechracing.com/ comes to mind.
I know there are others.
Its kind of like buying a high end road bicycle then not spending the $$$ for a pro fitting, IMO.

I downloaded a suspension setup worksheet. It requires two extra guys. One to hold the bike and the other to measure different things (like how much the suspension bounces back in the front and in the back).

So I wonder if this is something guys help each other with? Also - my used bike had the suspension lowered in the front and back and I am curious whether the geometry is set correctly.

It is a 2003 VSTROM Dl1000 and my particular question is bumps on curves on the highway seem to cause just a slight...jiggle?... Oscillation?...Wiggle?..
Anyway I seem to think a bike should be able to take a bump on a slight curve on the highway and stay perfectly on track but hell maybe I am overly sensitive..

Is there a meetup around town and would guys trade rides for comparison?

Sorry about the 20 questions.

I live downtown near the St. Lawrence Market.

There are other ways to measure suspension travel :/ for one you can remove the springs and move the shock through its full range of travel, that also gives you the opportunity to see if the shock is working through its entire range of travel. Bike needs to be on a stand or hung from the ceiling to do it right.

Things that lead to 'head shake' too heavy front wheel, bad steering bearing or adjustment, frame weakness or cracks, bad wheel bearings, worn front fork bushings or worn lower fork legs (on RSU forks)

Two ways to beef up front forks; 1 is addition of a fork brace, 2 is to fit a fatter front axle.

Best way to beef up a steering head bearing; make sure it is fitted with a taper bearing set and properly pre-load adjusted. Pretty sure your bike has roller ball bearings in the steering head as stock and they turn to crap once they get even slightly loose or worn.

"my used bike had the suspension lowered in the front and back and I am curious whether the geometry is set correctly."
no.

There are other ways to measure suspension travel :/ for one you can remove the springs and move the shock through its full range of travel, that also gives you the opportunity to see if the shock is working through its entire range of travel. Bike needs to be on a stand or hung from the ceiling to do it right.

Things that lead to 'head shake' too heavy front wheel, bad steering bearing or adjustment, frame weakness or cracks, bad wheel bearings, worn front fork bushings or worn lower fork legs (on RSU forks)

Two ways to beef up front forks; 1 is addition of a fork brace, 2 is to fit a fatter front axle.

Best way to beef up a steering head bearing; make sure it is fitted with a taper bearing set and properly pre-load adjusted. Pretty sure your bike has roller ball bearings in the steering head as stock and they turn to crap once they get even slightly loose or worn.

"my used bike had the suspension lowered in the front and back and I am curious whether the geometry is set correctly."
no.

I would start with the steering head bearing put on center stand and check for free play or any binding in full range of steering motion.
I had exact same issue once after a tire change take hands off bars at speed it would start the death wobble lol and it turned out being the steering head was too tight or loose can't remember.
Good luck

+1 what trials said. I immediately thought steering head bearing or fork rebuild with new bushings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know how to quick check your steering head bearing?
bearing_Check_-_5.jpg

bearing_Check_-_4.jpg

While the bike is stationary; press your thumb against the point where the top steering head bearing is located, pull on the front brake and rock the bike front to back against the force of the brake fairly hard. If you feel any movement in the bearing other than in the normal axial direction then your steering head bearing is a serious problem. Is a super easy test to perform once you have experienced and identified a bad bearing.

On a side note: at some time you might experience a notch or detent like feel through the steering head bearing, that is usually the result of either damage depressions in the bearing race or flat spots on your balls. A ball race steering head bearing can not tolerate either of those issues without also exhibiting some ill handling, hinge in the middle of your bike like characteristics. Disassemble, clean and inspect for damaged parts is in order if you encounter any of those issues.

Add tires to that list. Some tires don't cooperate with some setups (I had a K75 that would shake hard enough that it ejected the headlight trim, new tires and it entirely went away).

good advice above OP, re: head bearings, tires etc

as for susp setup, can certainly cause issues with mild bumps in corners
also like mentioned, there are shops that can do this for you

for some better DIY info, I'd suggest reading at a forum specific to your bike
there will undoubtedly be discussion of this there

I did this not long ago for my bike, it all depends on total weight
rider+gear+passenger+gear+cargo

try to determine your typical total weight and see what worked for others
this will get you close to a point where you can fine tune and be happy

turned out my bike was delivered to me setup for a 160lb rider
myself plus the luggage and the occasional pillion are more than double that

Back