mississauga, parrysound and burk's fall route | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

mississauga, parrysound and burk's fall route

Practice if you have not ridden gravel. ALL riders should get out on gravel roads from time to time.

I'd be more concerned on the downgrade....you really have to use engine braking modestly and control with the rear brake ...very little or no front brake

Do you have ABS??

Going up and down some of the escarpment gravel roads to the north of you is worthwhile.

Humpf I have unintentionally practiced dirt and gravel a lot lately. There are these roads in Pickering between it and uxbridge which become gravel dirt. So strange. Not to difficult, but yes right gear helps easy on brake.

Sent from the Moon!

Practice if you have not ridden gravel. ALL riders should get out on gravel roads from time to time.

I'd be more concerned on the downgrade....you really have to use engine braking modestly and control with the rear brake ...very little or no front brake

Do you have ABS??

Going up and down some of the escarpment gravel roads to the north of you is worthwhile.

I have been on gravel a couple times on my Yamaha R3 the last 2 summers, but yet to experience on my zx6r (no ABS). This bike is alot more touchy and the breaks are much more senitive (I have braided lines also). It's not the gravel roads that concern me, it would be coming down the gravel road they live on....especially the very steep peak at the top. I won't be going fast at all as there is not going to be a rush to get up/down it.
It's quite bothersome that my inlaws have a ballin' place in Huntsville and I haven't brought my bike up with me yet HAHA! Time to pull the rag out and just do it :cool: Do you know of any gravel roads in the Hamilton, Burly, Sauga area I could do some practice on?

Last edited:
Yes but damned if I can recall the names ..

The Grange Sideroad west of HWY 10 and parts of Shaws Creek

https://goo.gl/maps/2CWL9Sku1hG2

Fall brook trail

RriggAtIBahF8_4oExsnTdtHRVUzSE8Mko09jE-uejG9pF4-KPdWFxz9qB66Q62vrLf4teaIa4j8Q9d74wyp8sZH9lQ_LWMqB03hcGd_v9yXYfSjAXAbTlcTunvDDtL9DMZQTZM5hNUB9Mebf85fF-3WG40zRf2fW3A6WMA1mnnLAUHWozfIzCZnU-_RTvZQn4Uyjg8G4wLY8w7hdB4Zm5rNi8RDZTQqVNp-rytdHWGHHGCzSXbBE6M6mmO0jvMMURFXxINyHmt7Ocoke8kurkOLOIqz_nu22gqcHfOewytSWNMA5kB2IivtFxKB4XgDLC_bxTi2b3mSY8-QWtSCeYDFxR_QizA-iXQf2aING3nCIXvz6aqNoL55uAFyiNbUP3P4P-LJgrHu4RjMtPGxpAKz1mjujz4WSO4wIjFB0QnLMK1XnBOw47GQ5m98IKq4LbTUiaZmgdHHG70CjuvTfwW1g4lbauGKlYZaUEn-lb3mf9WRiQ_3JoOgeBfyQj8MT7Rn03TVORqbme3kQL6e5wSZCo0010a25kaExx307tOoe0jdTcqizD55DzWmmb38Ss-Cmr9fXVgTfAlXaMiHVilTdmJgkAYUZQlxI2DY=w1704-h1082-no

https://goo.gl/maps/Rq3x5xgv5D22

There is one I like near the Forks - almost had a heart attack one day tho

Grader had just done it so was squirmy as hell on street tires - was doing okay going up when the grader came around the corner coming down - not sure who had the more horrified look as he took up a very large chunk of road and my directional stability on street tires was really marginal.....we eased past each other.
Really good for the concentration. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes but damned if I can recall the names ..

The Grange Sideroad west of HWY 10 and parts of Shaws Creek

https://goo.gl/maps/2CWL9Sku1hG2

Fall brook trail

RriggAtIBahF8_4oExsnTdtHRVUzSE8Mko09jE-uejG9pF4-KPdWFxz9qB66Q62vrLf4teaIa4j8Q9d74wyp8sZH9lQ_LWMqB03hcGd_v9yXYfSjAXAbTlcTunvDDtL9DMZQTZM5hNUB9Mebf85fF-3WG40zRf2fW3A6WMA1mnnLAUHWozfIzCZnU-_RTvZQn4Uyjg8G4wLY8w7hdB4Zm5rNi8RDZTQqVNp-rytdHWGHHGCzSXbBE6M6mmO0jvMMURFXxINyHmt7Ocoke8kurkOLOIqz_nu22gqcHfOewytSWNMA5kB2IivtFxKB4XgDLC_bxTi2b3mSY8-QWtSCeYDFxR_QizA-iXQf2aING3nCIXvz6aqNoL55uAFyiNbUP3P4P-LJgrHu4RjMtPGxpAKz1mjujz4WSO4wIjFB0QnLMK1XnBOw47GQ5m98IKq4LbTUiaZmgdHHG70CjuvTfwW1g4lbauGKlYZaUEn-lb3mf9WRiQ_3JoOgeBfyQj8MT7Rn03TVORqbme3kQL6e5wSZCo0010a25kaExx307tOoe0jdTcqizD55DzWmmb38Ss-Cmr9fXVgTfAlXaMiHVilTdmJgkAYUZQlxI2DY=w1704-h1082-no

https://goo.gl/maps/Rq3x5xgv5D22

There is one I like near the Forks - almost had a heart attack one day tho

Grader had just done it so was squirmy as hell on street tires - was doing okay going up when the grader came around the corner coming down - not sure who had the more horrified look as he took up a very large chunk of road and my directional stability on street tires was really marginal.....we eased past each other.
Really good for the concentration. :rolleyes:
Had to go through some construction in Waterdown the other day. About 1 km of gravel. Some spots were very packed, others not so much. It's crazy how squirrely sports tires can get in the thicker gravel. Felt like my bike was mushing around and swirving side to side. It was kinda fun to tell the truth.....really tests your concentration and reflexes on the bike. I don't think it would be too much fun going down a hill of that crap though :rolleyes:

That's why practice is so important as you don't know when construction or someones' long driveway at a cottage will leave you with some gravel to navigate ....the time to learn is not then.

Sorry to hijack but this is so helpful for a trip I'm looking to plan on Thursday. My wife and I are heading out Thu-Fri (first night leaving our 1 year old overnight with grandma). We're planning to camp if it doesn't rain. My wife mentioned Killbear (she used to go as a kid). Thought it was a good idea and now found this post about Burks falls, etc. Never been in the area for touring. We're leaving from the Newmarket area. Any tips? We'd consider not doing Killbear if there's other great campsites along a better route/road. Any suggestions appreciated. Haven't looked into any roads as of yet (will thoroughly look through the suggestions). The 1 requirement is that we have cell coverage or internet access for our stay. Not looking to do much over 7 hours of ride time for each day. Thanks!

I liked Grundy Lake, which is around 30 minutes north of Killbear off the 400.
I hear many good things about Arrowhead, but I've never been.
Enjoy the black flies.

I liked Grundy Lake, which is around 30 minutes north of Killbear off the 400.
I hear many good things about Arrowhead, but I've never been.
Enjoy the black flies.

Oh god. Black flies? I guess it's the season huh... I juste realized I did Arrowhead last year on a solo overnight ride to Algonquin last fall. It was nice. Would be good to try something else, but if it's the best spot for the best ride I'll take it.

a few suggestions - I wouldn't take my wife on either Kushog Lake Rd or Bobcaygeon Rd - both are lots of fun solo, but they may be bumpy, have sand or frost heaves when you don't expect them and also have blind corners off hills. With my wife, I'd keep it simple and just stick to the 35 south because it's a beautiful ride with almost flawless pavement.

Just west of Minden, take #2 Deep Bay Rd instead of the #35 - it will bring you back to the 35 and is a nice ride.

Just slightly northwest of Kirkfield, is a beautiful causeway on #33 Centennial Park Rd, with water on both sides - a perfect place to stop with your wife and only a couple minutes out of your way.

Have a great time:)

... I wouldn't take my wife on either Kushog Lake Rd or Bobcaygeon Rd - both are lots of fun solo, but they may be bumpy, have sand or frost heaves ...

Yes avoid Kushog Lake Rd right now. Last weekend it was a sandy, dusty, rough pavement mess. Shane's correct that section using Hwy 35 is much nicer (right now).

a few suggestions - I wouldn't take my wife on either Kushog Lake Rd or Bobcaygeon Rd - both are lots of fun solo, but they may be bumpy, have sand or frost heaves when you don't expect them and also have blind corners off hills. With my wife, I'd keep it simple and just stick to the 35 south because it's a beautiful ride with almost flawless pavement.

Just west of Minden, take #2 Deep Bay Rd instead of the #35 - it will bring you back to the 35 and is a nice ride.

Just slightly northwest of Kirkfield, is a beautiful causeway on #33 Centennial Park Rd, with water on both sides - a perfect place to stop with your wife and only a couple minutes out of your way.

Have a great time:)

Excellent, thank you. We'll stick to 35 and avoid Kushog Lake road. Would you say Bob Caygeon is just as bad? Funny you mention #2, that was the intention but I ran out of waypoints to tweak the route with Google maps. That Kirkland tip is perfect.

Based on your routes I was wondering if we're better off heading more north to hit 520 instead of 518 into burks falls. I chose 518 from looking at street view, the roads looked more twisty but I could be wrong. As I'm typing it, 518 sounds familiar from my trip last year to Algonquin. I'll have to check my GPX routes tonight to confirm. If it's the road I am thinking it was it was excellent.

Looking like rain for Thursday. Hopefully it'll change. If so, it might be a good idea to hit the route in reverse and land in huntsville or arrowhead first since it would be a shorter ride there with less of the most anticipated roads left for the sun on Friday.

Yes avoid Kushog Lake Rd right now. Last weekend it was a sandy, dusty, rough pavement mess. Shane's correct that section using Hwy 35 is much nicer (right now).

Thanks for the confirmation.

Would you say Bob Caygeon is just as bad?

Based on your routes I was wondering if we're better off heading more north to hit 520 instead of 518 into burks falls. I chose 518 from looking at street view, the roads looked more twisty but I could be wrong.
Bobcaygeon Rd is a good road to take when the 35 south is really busy from cottage traffic. However, it's bumpy where if you are moving quick, there are a few frost heaves in mid-corner that will catch you by surprise. The pavement overall is in pretty poor condition and I think there is no centreline marking with the treeline also coming right up to the road edge, which some people don't like. If you take your time on the road, then you might find it fine and it's definitely much less traveled than the #35 if you are using it come back on a Sunday with cottage traffic.

The 520 is not anywhere near as twisty or technical as the 518. Overall the 520 has much better pavement with many long fast sweepers and I really like it for the fact that is has very little traffic and wide open scenery for those fast sweepers. If you decide to take it, then I would suggest linking it up with McDougall Rd to Hurdville Rd to the Bunny Trail like this: https://goo.gl/maps/qLwcYWK7K9G2
I would take my wife on the 520 over the 518, because the 520 is smoother ride. All depends on what your wife likes!

hello Krime. the route you mapped out, are all of the roads paved? thanks. hopefully this sunday i can take a rip up north weather permitting.
kushog rd. removed

Most of them should be but some of the detoured roads that aren't shown in this post are likely partially gravel. I'll report back when we return on Friday.

Bobcaygeon Rd is a good road to take when the 35 south is really busy from cottage traffic. However, it's bumpy where if you are moving quick, there are a few frost heaves in mid-corner that will catch you by surprise. The pavement overall is in pretty poor condition and I think there is no centreline marking with the treeline also coming right up to the road edge, which some people don't like. If you take your time on the road, then you might find it fine and it's definitely much less traveled than the #35 if you are using it come back on a Sunday with cottage traffic.

The 520 is not anywhere near as twisty or technical as the 518. Overall the 520 has much better pavement with many long fast sweepers and I really like it for the fact that is has very little traffic and wide open scenery for those fast sweepers. If you decide to take it, then I would suggest linking it up with McDougall Rd to Hurdville Rd to the Bunny Trail like this: https://goo.gl/maps/qLwcYWK7K9G2
I would take my wife on the 520 over the 518, because the 520 is smoother ride. All depends on what your wife likes!

Well... I'm really losing it. I just looked at my solo trip from last fall and see that I hit many of these roads. LOL. I tried to export the GPX to show you but the conversion in Google's My Maps only shows the data points and doesn't link them to streets. So, instead of riding up 400 I did 11 North and got off at Severn Bridge to head north west on Southwood – I remember that was a great road. Went up to Torrance and then headed South East on 169 and then up on 141 through Rosseau to Parry Sound - 124 - 520 (so i did it after all), but then headed back down south on the 124 and connected to 518 via some dirt roads (managed to get in both the 520 and 518 ). Then 518 to 2 (ravenscliffe) and landed in Arrowhead park for the night. Next day I took 60 through Algonquin and then looped all the way back to Haliburton then the 35 North to the Dorset lookout tower. Then across 117 to Bracebridge and south home again. So, looks like I've done quite a bit of it already, will need to have a thorough look again to make sure I'm not doing too much overlap.

In terms of my wife, she's up for the adventure. On our 1200GS we did a trip to New Hampshire 2 years ago when she was 3 months pregnant and hit some of the crappiest roads of my life with her on the back. The funny part is that I strategically tried to find the good smooth roads too. Our preference is technical lower speed twisties with the trees close to the road - the less of a shoulder the better. Takes us back to when we did touring in the Alps.

Last edited:
On another note, we're deciding against camping this time around. We're thinking to stay in Burk's falls or somewhere nearby. Any recommendations?

Had to go through some construction in Waterdown the other day. About 1 km of gravel. Some spots were very packed, others not so much. It's crazy how squirrely sports tires can get in the thicker gravel. Felt like my bike was mushing around and swirving side to side. It was kinda fun to tell the truth.....really tests your concentration and reflexes on the bike. I don't think it would be too much fun going down a hill of that crap though :rolleyes:

With mag wheels and street tires the faster you go, the more they work like gyroscopes on a slushy surface.

And 518/520 is already a heatscore, I was back in Canuckistan two days before I was pulled over. The friendly, quota filling, OPP constable informed me she had "heard" me speeding. The Wisconsin plates probably didn't help, but 45mins later nobody could come out with a depth gauge to check my tyres so I was let off with a warning. She said something about running from police, I mentioned quota's and bikes that stop for cops are trying to be legal. Was pretty much a welcome back to Canuckistan, no nothings changed.

BTW Road Of Swords-Bunny Trail is still my fav in the area, little sand, even some banked corners, and fewer po-po. I did have to dodge one snapping turtle and a roadkill porcupine.

Back
Top Bottom