mississauga, parrysound and burk's fall route | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

mississauga, parrysound and burk's fall route

but then headed back down south on the 124 and connected to 518 via some dirt roads (managed to get in both the 520 and 518)...
Perhaps you took old Nipissing Rd south from Magnetewan - that is a great hard packs dirt/gravel road whichI wold always suggest if you are up for that sort of thing. Tighter and more twisty is 518 for sure. Bobcaygeon will be fine for you then. In the future, you should also look at Harburn Rd, Kennisis Lake Rd, Lower Faraday Rd as some others that are further east but fit this bill. Even Kushog Lake Rd is fun later in the season when the sand is gone from the road.

Sorry I have no suggestions for non camping places to stay. Air BnB?

Perhaps you took old Nipissing Rd south from Magnetewan - that is a great hard packs dirt/gravel road whichI wold always suggest if you are up for that sort of thing. Tighter and more twisty is 518 for sure. Bobcaygeon will be fine for you then. In the future, you should also look at Harburn Rd, Kennisis Lake Rd, Lower Faraday Rd as some others that are further east but fit this bill. Even Kushog Lake Rd is fun later in the season when the sand is gone from the road.

Sorry I have no suggestions for non camping places to stay. Air BnB?

Thanks for all the tips. We've found some B&B's in the area, found out there's quite a bit. Off tomorrow morning (or I guess later this morning technically), weathers looking great.

Just got back (~650km spread over two days). It was a great ride and perfect weather. We ended up staying at the Northridge Inn in Sundridge just above Burk's Falls - really nice place.

In terms of the roads, most of the riding was paved but there were a good number of dirt roads along the way. Some mentions for those considering:

- Southwood road (Port Severn) was a rough mess. I did it last fall and it wasn't amazing but still a great road overall. Don't bother, this winter was so harsh it messed up the roads. They were patching the pot holes while en route. The best part of the route where the roads are still good is the section farthest north.
- The detour I made to head from 518 to Burk's falls (Peggs Mountain Road) was mostly dirt roads.
- Paint Lake Road from Baysville is dirt for about half the way. Regretted taking that one only because some pro star in an SUV went flying by us in the opposite way shooting stones and making a thick wall of dust that lingered for a long time.
- I was shocked at how much sand some of the paved roads had. As in, I've never seen so much sand on a paved road before... ever. Some sections of roads were completely covered in a thick coating of it, with only two narrow tracks of exposed asphalt (from car tires) in each direction. These roads were very sketchy on a sunny day like today when the strong contrasting shadows from the trees camo the entire road - making it near impossible to actually see pot holes or pockets of sand. The worst offending roads for this were the East of Burk's Falls detour (Chetwynd Rd/518 - which also included a few km's of gravel), Williamsport road to Harp Lake (road that runs parallel and above hwy 60) and Kushog Lake Road.
- Unfortunately the route east of Kirkfield (CR-33) was closed for construction (until Nov 15th this year). We got past the first bridge but not the second. Managed to get a sense for how nice it was. We'll had back next year.
- Highlight/favourite road was 518 yet again (from Swords road). We hit it on Thursday and the entire road (30+km of technical twisties) was almost to ourselves. We passed only 3 cars coming in the opposite direction the entire route, and no sand on the smooth asphalt.
- Black flies were next level. They swarm you the second you stop and get off the bike. I haven't stopped scratching since I've been home. Camping would have been the worst idea.

Last edited:
Burk's Falls detour (Chetwynd Rd/518 - which also included a few km's of gravel), Williamsport road to Harp Lake (road that runs parallel and above hwy 60)
thanks for the heads up. planning on going tomorrow

Those roads that are really sandy now will be good to go around late July or August. Sometimes even as late as September!

Glad you had a good trip:)

Burk's Falls detour (Chetwynd Rd/518 - which also included a few km's of gravel), Williamsport road to Harp Lake (road that runs parallel and above hwy 60)
thanks for the heads up. planning on going tomorrow

Enjoy!

Those roads that are really sandy now will be good to go around late July or August. Sometimes even as late as September!

Glad you had a good trip:)

Thanks for the recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom