Good prices on engine oil? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good prices on engine oil?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
Last bike I had I was content with using Rotella T (even though it made shifting a bit worse), but now I would prefer to use a 10w40. In the intervening years, it looks like the Tire Hole has stopped carrying Mobil 1 MX4T, and so far every shop I've walked into has had eye-wateringly expensive moto oil. Are you guys finding good deals on oil somewhere (and not buying it in the US)?

Yeah that's right, I started an oil thread, and you're gonna like it

T6 full synth 5/40 still is my go-to
on sale at CTC for $40 right now for 5L jug

was in Snow City a few days ago
Motul 10/40 full synth was 90 a jug...GTFO

which Rotella were you using that had harsh shifts?

Plain T "Triple Protection" 15w40... it was a GS500 so I didn't really care that much, I cared more that it was adequate and cheap. And yeah, I ain't throwing down a c-note for an oil change

maybe give T6 5/40 a try?

personally I think the 15/40 base oil in T5 is too heavy for a bike engine
although lots of riders have good luck with it

Plain T "Triple Protection" 15w40... it was a GS500 so I didn't really care that much, I cared more that it was adequate and cheap. And yeah, I ain't throwing down a c-note for an oil change

Haven't seen it in a store for years but at one time Rosella T was available in 10w30, is there an oil spec requirement for your bike?

I have used the same lubricants as used in my compact diesel tractors with good results, Ambra (New Holland) for example, price is right and the product performs well, sometimes the best way to get good prices on oil is to simply buy it in a bigger container. My bikes have separate oil for transmission and engine, Ambra Hydraulic oil works great for wet clutches and transmissions with separate transmission oil or on 2-stroke transmissions. Ambra also has a good quality 10w40 that would probably meet or exceed spec for your bike, is sometimes on sale in big jugs.

Haven't seen it in a store for years but at one time Rosella T was available in 10w30, is there an oil spec requirement for your bike?

I have used the same lubricants as used in my compact diesel tractors with good results, Ambra (New Holland) for example, price is right and the product performs well, sometimes the best way to get good prices on oil is to simply buy it in a bigger container. My bikes have separate oil for transmission and engine, Ambra Hydraulic oil works great for wet clutches and transmissions with separate transmission oil or on 2-stroke transmissions. Ambra also has a good quality 10w40 that would probably meet or exceed spec for your bike, is sometimes on sale in big jugs.
There's a Shell station in Whitby that sells 10w30 Rotella at Rossland and Garden I think.That's the only place I've ever seen it.

is that 10w30 Rotella JASO-MA approved?
CTC near me has some Dino T5 that is not listed on the bottle as such
this is the reason I buy the T6 synth

is that 10w30 Rotella JASO-MA approved?
CTC near me has some Dino T5 that is not listed on the bottle as such
this is the reason I buy the T6 synth

Technically, none of the Rotella oils are JASO-MA approved, as they are absent from the list of certified oils: http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

I don't think Shell is lying when they say T4 (what used to just be called T) & T6 meet JASO-MA standards, so T5 probably has a violation.

Technically, none of the Rotella oils are JASO-MA approved, as they are absent from the list of certified oils: http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

I don't think Shell is lying when they say T4 (what used to just be called T) & T6 meet JASO-MA standards, so T5 probably has a violation.

This actually is not true, Rotella is listed as JASO-MA, except the 10w-30.

At least I think I have seen it before, and read that it was listed.

Not exactly a reliable source but Wiki claims they are listed too

This actually is not true, Rotella is listed as JASO-MA, except the 10w-30.

At least I think I have seen it before, and read that it was listed.

Not exactly a reliable source but Wiki claims they are listed too

Rotella T 10w30/15w40 and Rotella T6 5w40 are both JASO MA certified as per Shell's own documentation.

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business...74ce20ae7961e482fa456646/generic-brochure.pdf

I've run both Rotella T 15w40 and Rotella T6 5w40 (air cooled single). I found they both had compromises when compared to Castrol 10w40 4T motorcycle oil. The T6 didn't shift very nicely but had a performance increase. The T 15w40 ran very smooth, but was a power thief.

I have access to copious amounts of no-cost-to-me Rotella T 15w40. I have also just replaced the clutch in my bike, and I pay the $6.50 a liter for the Castrol.

Last edited:
JASO MA/MA2 approved
e593fcdb6ef58d670640d3f2e149d163.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I was clear with what I meant. Shell Rotella T3,T4,T6 meet JASO MA specs, but they are not JASO MA certified. Something that is JASO MA certified will display a seal and have a certification number. Like this (top right):

ld0VJwK.jpg

^^^^that oil is at GP bikes for 59.99
I ran T6 in my bike until I picked up a jug of motul and the shifting was smother to near end of service limit which is 6000km for my bike

I've used to 5w40 in my versys for 2 seasons now. I'm convinced the shifting is noisier/clunkier with it and I'm going to try something else next.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom