Barrier for deck opening | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Barrier for deck opening

Can you post a pic of the area so we can get a better view of what you are dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about a pair of gates at the bottom of the stairs? Swing them back 270* against the stairs when they're not used. Will the dogs jump it?

It gets a bit complicated but the short version is one of the dogs has hip/leg problems, quite bad...and his sister is a bit of a lunk who would happily push him down the stairs if they are playing at the top. A gated flat area would be fine but if the barrier is at the bottom of the stairs there’s the possibility of an accident. When there’s no barrier there they are fine as they go romping around the garden and aren’t interested in lingering.

I'll see if I can take pics.

what about a small panel that could be put in place and removed completely and put somewhere else when not needed?

or 4 panels with hinges reversed would create a bi fold, it would need a couple casters under to hold the weight and have it not sag out.

what about a small panel that could be put in place and removed completely and put somewhere else when not needed?

or 4 panels with hinges reversed would create a bi fold, it would need a couple casters under to hold the weight and have it not sag out.

Thats kind of what I have right now only 3 separate panels. Storage is an issue and they look unsightly. I’ve got to a point where my garden is starting to look pretty good and I’m spending more and more time outside so the ghetto solutions need to be upgraded. For the longest time I had a patio umbrella zip tied to a deck railing for shade...that’s gone. Maybe I just have to pony up for the purpose made solutions.....it’s just painful.

Maybe two eight foot poles as horizontal top and bottom rails, with pet mesh or canvas tensioned between them using vertical rods? Remove the vertical rods and roll up the fabric and stand the whole thing in a corner when not in use. 70lbs of dog is a lot to hold back with a flexible fabric solution across an 8 foot span though.

Another flexible fabric option is something like those canvas shade sails, using the fabric or steel cables in tension instead of rods/posts/rails in compression. Very strong, and easier to store, if nothing else. I'd be a bit concerned about the dogs getting their heads stuck between the fabric/cable and the deck in that case, so you'd have to see what sort of gap along the edges you could manage - either too small for their heads to fit through, or big enough that they can't get stuck.

Maybe two eight foot poles as horizontal top and bottom rails, with pet mesh or canvas tensioned between them using vertical rods? Remove the vertical rods and roll up the fabric and stand the whole thing in a corner when not in use. 70lbs of dog is a lot to hold back with a flexible fabric solution across an 8 foot span though.

Still need to store those sections and I'm trying to get stuff off the deck. The dogs are actually good with physical barriers, they don't jump on them but they will lambada under gaps etc so it does have to be solid looking (ie mesh is good). When I did my search I was just surprised that the US product I found was really the only one of its kind made for this purpose. I was hoping I'd missed a similar cheaper product in Canada but it doesn't look like it. The thing with the retractable barrier option is it's pretty unobtrusive when retracted. The main mechanism part is 38" high and that's exactly how high the end deck rail post is which a handrail part just above that so it will be "hidden". I could probably cobble something together with a stiff large mesh almost like a snowfence but then again I think I'd need supports and storage for a bulkier solution on the deck.

I caved and got the gates from the US, they arrived in 2 days, impressive but for the price I paid I wanted them delivered by a flying unicorn. Anyway, I think they look good and as you can see, they are doing their job.

42129640172_b866ac72a2_k.jpg
[/URL]20180517_153603 by JC100JC, on Flickr[/IMG]

nice....couldn't really even see them until I enlarged the photo
the fur kid looks like he approves

Back
Top Bottom