Is it Legal to Chain Your Bike Wherever You park? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it Legal to Chain Your Bike Wherever You park?

maple.nomad

I know this is a strange question but I'm new to Canada and I know people who have had their bikes stolen, so I take this quite seriously. Am I legally allowed to chain my bike to a lamppost or any other object when I need to park it? Having a disc lock isn't enough as a bunch of guys can always get together and load the thing onto a pickup truck.

This may attract unwanted attention from law enforcement. In most cases, either your bike would be somewhere it wasn't supposed to be (eg on a sidewalk) or the chain will run across such an area and present a trip hazard. Not to mention that a long chain that is strong enough that it can't be defeated in 2 seconds with bolt cutters will be unmanageable to carry around.

People just need to buy theft insurance and stop worrying so much. If your bike is so unique as to be irreplaceable, you shouldn't be leaving it on the street anyway.

If the post was right next to the curb and the bike is there, don't see why not. Don't recall anything specific about it.

If the post was right next to the curb and the bike is there, don't see why not. Don't recall anything specific about it.

I would agree.

Also the OP, you could try this:

biketheft4.jpg

This ^^^, but as soon as you need to park on the boulevard (not the paved travel portion of the roadway), you will be ticketed for that.

There's no problem chaining your bike to a post. I used to do it when I lived downtown on Montreal. Problem is, savvy thieves aren't deterred by a chain. They all carry bolt cutters. The best defense is to have a couple of alarm locks and a chain.

Pay for good theft insurance. Stop worrying and trying things that are just going to slow down a determined thief anyways, not stop them.

Problem solved.

Or buy a bike with next to zero theft rates.

Back
Top Bottom