Coolant recommendation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coolant recommendation

abkdt41

Looking to change the coolant on my r6

Never done it before and was hoping for some recommendations on which coolant to use

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Don't get the cheap prestone at crappy tire

not GM Dex Cool

use green anti-freeze, and not straight coolant
mixed with water it freezes at a lower temp

Bought some engine ice from fortnine

Lets see how it works

Thanks for all the input

Why not? Its fine for aluminum radiators... has corrosion inhibitors.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
They don't last long & disintegrate.

Finally got around to changing the coolant

Fairly simple task

Old coolant was colored green so I'm thinking it was still the original

Will see how the new coolant performs (engine ice)
8cde724a6890ef601f718f169a75976a.jpg

my question is, is it safe to use the Honda Type 2 coolant for sportbikes?

In general - Yes. Honda coolants are aluminum-compatible because all Honda engines, car or bike, have aluminum in contact with the coolant. It doesn't care if the badge on your bike says Honda or something else, either.

While there are certain additive chemistries that must not be mixed, that is readily dealt with by draining and flushing the old coolant before putting in the new coolant.

There is nothing to be gained by using a fancy brand name - be it Honda or Engine Ice or whatever. It's all ethylene glycol with corrosion inhibitors. They all have the SAME heat capacity and the SAME thermal conductivity and the SAME boiling temperature when mixed with the same percentage of water. "Engine Ice" will NOT provide any better cooling than Prestone or Motomaster.

Just don't mix long-life coolants with standard cheap green stuff. The additive chemistries aren't compatible, and some combinations will turn to brown sludge when mixed. Hence the recommendation to flush out all the old before installing the new, and do subsequent top-ups with the same stuff.

In general - Yes. Honda coolants are aluminum-compatible because all Honda engines, car or bike, have aluminum in contact with the coolant. It doesn't care if the badge on your bike says Honda or something else, either.

While there are certain additive chemistries that must not be mixed, that is readily dealt with by draining and flushing the old coolant before putting in the new coolant.

There is nothing to be gained by using a fancy brand name - be it Honda or Engine Ice or whatever. It's all ethylene glycol with corrosion inhibitors. They all have the SAME heat capacity and the SAME thermal conductivity and the SAME boiling temperature when mixed with the same percentage of water. "Engine Ice" will NOT provide any better cooling than Prestone or Motomaster.

Just don't mix long-life coolants with standard cheap green stuff. The additive chemistries aren't compatible, and some combinations will turn to brown sludge when mixed. Hence the recommendation to flush out all the old before installing the new, and do subsequent top-ups with the same stuff.

thank you sir

Looking to change the coolant on my r6

Never done it before and was hoping for some recommendations on which coolant to use

Consult the owners manual. The folks who built and designed your bike, you know, the guys with initials after their names like P. Eng. or M. Sc, listen to what they have to say, which sill be in the manual, or as a service bulletin to the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honda coolant has a lower silica count then most coolents... google it

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on who you ask ... which, oddly, depends on where you are in the world. For some reason American, European, and Asian manufacturers went in different directions https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fundamentals

IMO if you use deionized or distilled water, you won't have the calcium-deposit issues that caused European manufacturers to specify phosphate-free coolants, and I don't know what was so special about Asian water that made them specify silicate-free coolants for longer water pump life. I sure know that our 1970's-era Civic ate water pumps like nothing else. (I believe I changed it 5 times in the life of the car.)

Back
Top Bottom