CMB: Yamaha Ténéré 700 Launch | GTAMotorcycle.com

CMB: Yamaha Ténéré 700 Launch

great niche to fill, mid sized ADV that is more than just ADV styling

cancel the world tour nonsense and start selling it FFS

Really looking forward to this machine!

I've held of any upgrades to my CB500X this year in hopes to get the T700 oneday

That's more than an ADV that's a pretty much a full on dual sport if production holds to the prelims. 407 lb!!!
Tried and true motor.

2018-Yamaha-tenere-700-world-raid-fast-facts-5.jpg

As reports surfaced, a few facts began to solidify: It was powered by the same 689 cc parallel twin used in the FZ-07. With a claimed 74 horsepower and 50 foot-pounds of torque, the engine makes more power than a big single and remains relatively composed on the highway, but it didn’t add too much weight over a large thumper. An FZ-07 claims a wet weight just shy of 400 pounds, so in theory, the T7 could come in around the same weight. (Reports have the T7 tipping the scales at 407 pounds.)
The 21-inch front tire and 18-inch rear meant there are a ton of options for fitting off-road tires. Reportedly, the fork used was a fully adjustable KYB unit off of a WR450F sporting more than 11 inches of travel to absorb all of the off-road abuse you wanted to throw its way. It also features a long, flat, dirt-style saddle which allows for a wide range of motion for moving around on the bike.

Good article here. Question is seat comfort for distance compared to an ADV bike.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tre...790-adventure-r-vs-yamahas-tnr-700-world-raid

The motor and chassis is certainly up to all day running....anyone that watched Long Way Round saw how well the middleweight BMW did against the lumbering 1200s in Eastern Russia.

If the price stays sane this will do very well.

Yamaha's appeal to me is dependability and low TCO. Study after study puts them on top in every category, with Honda close and Suzuki even closer.

Euro bikes shine in other areas, but come in behind Japanese and American makes -- KTM doesn't crack the top 10 makes fro dependability -- that's a non starter for me.

1) I don't like fixing things on the road, 2) I don't like spending a fortune to keep my stuff running.

Its about time - they've been promising this since the introduction of the FZ-07.

Is this thing suitable for long times in the saddle? To me an adv bike means it's equally good on road as off. I was hoping for more of a vstrom 650 competitor while this seems more like a ktm 690 competitor.

Yamaha's appeal to me is dependability and low TCO. Study after study puts them on top in every category, with Honda close and Suzuki even closer.

Euro bikes shine in other areas, but come in behind Japanese and American makes -- KTM doesn't crack the top 10 makes fro dependability -- that's a non starter for me.

1) I don't like fixing things on the road, 2) I don't like spending a fortune to keep my stuff running.

I understand that. My KTM has been mostly fine though and I appreciate the tech on the bike.

Going by my slab of a seat on the KLR ....Sargent should be able to provide something tolerable. I can do 500 km 50/50 off pavement and pavement and not need a stretcher.
The Tenere 700 should be a winner with that motor and modern suspension and electronics ....if the price is reasonable.

Might not come up to other ADV bikes for comfort for long days but will walk away in the boonies.....damn 407 lb, 700 cc twin.!! 11" clearance.

Now I hope Indian doesn't get their finger out before Yamaha. It would be a tough decision between the FTR1200 and the Tenere 700.

Back
Top Bottom