Stop | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stop

This also applies to red lights if turning right.

Somebody almost ran me over a few months back while I was crossing the street at work. I yelled "what the ****?" and pointed at the walk symbol.

He yelled back "I came first!"

Sigh.

油井緋色;2565329 said:
This also applies to red lights if turning right.

Somebody almost ran me over a few months back while I was crossing the street at work. I yelled "what the ****?" and pointed at the walk symbol.

He yelled back "I came first!"

Sigh.

:lmao:

His gf/wife probably hears that too often.

I stop all vehicle forward motion and keep my feet on the pegs. But is there a set time to be at a stop? None that I'm aware of.

I stop all vehicle forward motion and keep my feet on the pegs. But is there a set time to be at a stop? None that I'm aware of.

I do the same.

I remember someone said they did that in the past and ended up getting a ticket from a cop for "Improper Stop" saying that they need to come to a complete stop and put their foot down. Sounded like the cop was just making things up or thinks it's impossible to stop without putting a foot down. This might be in the GTAM Archives

I do the same.

I remember someone said they did that in the past and ended up getting a ticket from a cop for "Improper Stop" saying that they need to come to a complete stop and put their foot down. Sounded like the cop was just making things up or thinks it's impossible to stop without putting a foot down. This might be in the GTAM Archives

I read somewhere, Tennessee? that has a foot down rule.

There's some M/C with a gyro that can stand all day IIRC.

I have no issue with people who look and slow roll the stop when no one is around. Better than those who don't want to stop because they see you coming, want to get out ahead of you, and don't care if you if you have to slow hard.

My point is that with a rolling stop the time is not taken for a good look.

Read up on false negatives. Your brain gets so used to seeing nothing that it reverts to the "All clear" even when it isn't. RIP.

Going somewhat against the grain here. In the UK rarely are there stop signs. Yield signs seem to work just fine. Driver has to use his own judgement to stop fully or not. Personally I love it. Seeing the quality of drivers here I'm not saying that would work.

Yes there is. The amount of time it takes any particular cop to be satisfied that you stopped. A friend of mine got a ticket for not stopping and just made sure he got ticketed to the max by arguing with the cop that he's so good on his motorcycle that it was entirely motionless while neither foot touched the ground.

i.e. if there's no chance of getting a ticket in life on the road, do what the h*!! you want.

Going somewhat against the grain here. In the UK rarely are there stop signs. Yield signs seem to work just fine. Driver has to use his own judgement to stop fully or not. Personally I love it. Seeing the quality of drivers here I'm not saying that would work.

Yield signs work fabulously... IF people know what it meant.

If you ever run into a roundabout in the GTHA, there's a 50% chance someone is not going to yield to you when you're in the circle causing you to hit your brakes hard. There are even signs up stating "Yield to traffic in the circle", but nope.
I usually just assume people aren't going to yield anymore and will blow through the circle.

Read up on false negatives. Your brain gets so used to seeing nothing that it reverts to the "All clear" even when it isn't. RIP.
I've been guilty of the "false negatives" of which you speak. 99% of the time when I used to leave for work at 5am there weren't any cars on the road in my neighborhood. Was so used to it that I didn't even notice the guy stopped to my left that had started to proceed through the intersection. Luckily I braked in time and apologized profusely.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

My favorite was a rail crossing in BC that had no gate, just a stop sign. A young woman (20ish) rolled the stop sign and I still remember the look in her eyes when her brain finally processed the fact that there was a train <20' away. At that point she was already on the tracks. Lucky for her the train wasn't moving at the time.

i get why they do it as well, but law is law. i could say the same thing about more gas being used up coming to a complete stop and getting it going again. want to use the road, then follow the rules especially ones that directly impact other people's safety.
to that i say:

If a cyclists fails to stop in a city and no one is around to witness it, did he still stop?

if there's traffic there's no excuse not to stop. if the street is empty of any type traffic though (car, pedestrian, squirrel)..... how much trouble can a bicycle cause by itself in an intersection

My personal opinion on all this is that is down to the lack of decent road design in Nth America. The land is divided into "Blocks" , and easy to do because for the most part its all flat here. The easiest way the highway engineers can manage traffic is by putting in a STOP sign. Be it a 4 way, 2 way or single Stop . We then become "detuned" to them, just like artificially low speed limits here.

I was in Australia/NZ a few months ago and I think it was after 2 weeks of driving I saw my first Stop sign down there. They use an abundance of roundabouts, and also places where we use Stop signs here, are controlled by "Give Way" or "Yield" signs, where you Do Not have to come to a complete stop, but can roll through...this is pretty much what road users here tend to do with our Stop signs for the most part.

I think @MacDoc is currently in Oz right now.. maybe he can chirp in on his observations?

A GIVE WAY sign or line means you must give way to all vehicles travelling in, entering or approaching the intersection, whether vehicles are turning left or right, or going straight ahead. You must give way to any pedestrians crossing the road into which you are turning.
Giving way at a GIVE WAY sign means the driver must slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision.
give-way-car-b-to-car-a.jpg

More information here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/intersections.html

They don't use them enough here. I bet most of the drivers here would have no idea.

I say we just starting putting more roundabouts everywhere, they've started to do it in certain subdivisions.

I do the same.

as long as one comes to a full STOP

at least according to the Interweb.....

Stop Sign

There is a myth that you must stop for a full three seconds at a stop sign before proceeding, and if you don’t stop for the complete three seconds, you are guilty of a crime and should be charged. This myth is simply not true. Unfortunately many police officers do not have a great deal of traffic training and believe this myth to be true and will hand out stop sign tickets to people that have not stopped for a full three seconds! The Highway Traffic Act states that you must stop and yield the right of way to all traffic and proceed once there is no hazard to do so:
Stop at through highway

136. (1) Every driver or street car operator approaching a stop sign at an intersection,
(a) shall stop his or her vehicle or street car at a marked stop line or, if none, then immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk or, if none, then immediately before entering the intersection; and
(b) shall yield the right of way to traffic in the intersection or approaching the intersection on another highway so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard and, having so yielded the right of way, may proceed. R.S.O.1990, c. H.8, s. 136(1).

This means that if there is no hazard to proceed, as long as you came to a complete stop, you can legally continue on your way without stopping for a full three seconds! Many people receive unfair and unjust stop sign tickets when they have obeyed the law completely. Why pay an unfair ticket and have your insurance rates raise when you can fight it and keep your record clean?

Before you pay a stop sign ticket, make sure you know exactly what the penalties against you are. Not only do stop sign infractions carry a fine amount, but they also carry 3 demerit points and can increase your insurance rates. When you receive a stop sign ticket you will have three options:

Pleading guilty
Pleading guilty with an explanation
Trial / not guilty

If you pay a stop sign ticket you are automatically pleading guilty to the charge and will have to pay the fine along with receiving 3 demerit points on your record which will likely increase your insurance. A plea of guilt with an explanation is not a trial and your ticket will not be eliminated off of your record. The trial option is the only way to fight for dismissal of the ticket or for a drastic reduction in the fine or demerit points.

Since we're on the subject of rules may I submit that riding in the bicycle lane is not cool? I've seen more offenders in the last week than all of last season. Like, for BLOCKS. Yeah, I know, you're a motorcycle-riding rebel playing by your own rules (and in a HURRY, natch) but the e-bikes are idiocy enough, thanks.

Stop should really stand for: "Stupid 'til otherwise proven." It's rare to see even rolling stops in some places. Yet I have never seen an patrol car at one, ever.

If you ever run into a roundabout in the GTHA, there's a 50% chance someone is not going to yield to you when you're in the circle causing you to hit your brakes hard. There are even signs up stating "Yield to traffic in the circle", but nope.
I usually just assume people aren't going to yield anymore and will blow through the circle.
They don't work in Markham as intended. Majority of the times I've seen drivers get confused. They literally stop in the middle of the roundabout if there are cars waiting at the Yield sign, yielding to them.

Back
Top Bottom