Stop | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stop

nobbie48

Site Supporter
STOP doesn't mean Slight Tap On Pedal. It means bringing a vehicle to a complete rest at the proper place.

I wonder if the consequences of not doing has resulted in numerous deaths such as the one in Niagara.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?205062-Niagara

Does a rolling stop, legally not a stop, fail the give the driver / rider the time needed to do a proper visual check?

Stopping in the wrong spot can have consequences as well.

I saw a semi stopped with it's front end fully blocking the pedestrian walk portion of the intersection but there were no pedestrians so what's the big deal?

The problem was the semi was in the left lane and a SUV with a long front end wanted to make a right on red and couldn't see past the semi until it pulled forward until its nose was blocking half the lane of the cross road. That could have made the cross traffic swerve right and cause a crash.

It all seems like nit picking until someone is killed.

STOP doesn't mean Slight Tap On Pedal. It means bringing a vehicle to a complete rest at the proper place.

I wonder if the consequences of not doing has resulted in numerous deaths such as the one in Niagara.

Does a rolling stop, legally not a stop, fail the give the driver / rider the time needed to do a proper visual check?

I saw a semi stopped with it's front end fully blocking the pedestrian walk portion of the intersection but there were no pedestrians so what's the big deal?

The problem was the semi was in the left lane and a SUV with a long front end wanted to make a right on red and couldn't see past the semi until it pulled forward until its nose was blocking half the lane of the cross road. That could have made the cross traffic swerve right and cause a crash.

Not nit picking. People just don`t consider or care about anybody else. It`s all about them. If you say anything to them they just don`t get it.

Talk to people that live downtown. I know quite a few that have the opposite view. When people stop at a stop sign, they get really upset because they are impeding the flow of traffic.

I'm on your side.

Tesla engineers included an automatic full stop when stop sign detected, but marketing overruled to disable this feature.

When the weather's good, I'll have lunch in a little parkette down the road from the office in Midtown. There's a stop sign opposite so I sometimes look out to see how many cars actually do come to a complete stop. I'd say probably less than 25% stop completely when other cars/pedestrians are not immediately visible on approach and about 75% stop completely if they see other vehicles/pedestrians on approach. From what I've seen around here, the worst culprits are taxis and big expensive cars (Range Rovers, Escalades, German SUVs etc...) - I've seen many of them momentarily tap the brakes and just speed through. Hmm I'm thinking I should survey this intersection now...

If the SUV pulled into the intersection to try and get a sightline around the truck and caused an accident, it wouldn't be thr truck driver's fault that he pulled ahead. If you can't see the way ahead is clear, don't proceed.

It sucks that the trucker blocked his sightline, but that's not as bad an offense as driving without seeing where you're going!

When the weather's good, I'll have lunch in a little parkette down the road from the office in Midtown. There's a stop sign opposite so I sometimes look out to see how many cars actually do come to a complete stop. I'd say probably less than 25% stop completely when other cars/pedestrians are not immediately visible on approach and about 75% stop completely if they see other vehicles/pedestrians on approach. From what I've seen around here, the worst culprits are taxis and big expensive cars (Range Rovers, Escalades, German SUVs etc...) - I've seen many of them momentarily tap the brakes and just speed through. Hmm I'm thinking I should survey this intersection now...
How many bicycles stop?

I have no issue with people who look and slow roll the stop when no one is around. Better than those who don't want to stop because they see you coming, want to get out ahead of you, and don't care if you if you have to slow hard.

Last edited:
i see this this in the morning when i drop off my kids to school. at a 3 way stop (t-intersection) i would make a full stop, a car on my right will tap their brakes quickly and then accelerate quickly. there are 3 intersections like this between two nearby schools. kids walking, biking, skateboarding to schools but parents still drive so aggressively. I don't understand why some parent's drive like this?

I've mastered the art of the 'foot still on pegs' stop. Takes a while to master but, stop half a second and go isn't too hard to do and you don't lose as much momentum.

Someone mentioned bicycles, and on non-busy roads, when there are absolutely no cars (and its a 4-way stop) i kinda get why cyclists don't necessarily stop at stop signs. But do more of a slow down and then keep going if clear. Because the time and speed and energy you lose on a full stop, over a long ride, adds up pretty fast.
Totally against running red lights though, unless you tell me you're off your bicycle and walking it across illegally lol.

Funny thing, the other day a bicycle did actually stop and there was a total stand off. Seemed like no one really knew what to do...

Yup, when I'm within 50 ft of an intersection on my bike, cars stop in all directions in anticipation of me just breezing through. So I stop and immediately take off again because I'm not going to sit around all day waiting for drivers to get a clue.

Someone mentioned bicycles, and on non-busy roads, when there are absolutely no cars (and its a 4-way stop) i kinda get why cyclists don't necessarily stop at stop signs. But do more of a slow down and then keep going if clear. Because the time and speed and energy you lose on a full stop, over a long ride, adds up pretty fast.

I usually do that on the bicycle. There are a good number of 4-way stops near where I live so I just slow right down and check both ways before proceeding. I don't actually come to a complete stop unless there's another vehicle approaching at the same time and it makes sense to. But yeah, some of the things I've seen cyclists do is plain stupid. The other day I'm on an advanced green left turn and a cyclist runs a red light going in the opposite direction to traffic, blocking my left turn. Loud exhausts come in handy in these situations.

A friend lives on Davisville. I watched for an hour one day before I saw a single vehicle stop at the stop sign (and it's a bus route so there was a TTC bus every 5 minutes or so in that time period).

I've mastered the art of the 'foot still on pegs' stop. Takes a while to master but, stop half a second and go isn't too hard to do and you don't lose as much momentum.

Totally against running red lights though, unless you tell me you're off your bicycle and walking it across illegally lol.

i get why they do it as well, but law is law. i could say the same thing about more gas being used up coming to a complete stop and getting it going again. want to use the road, then follow the rules especially ones that directly impact other people's safety.

Yeah I've noticed that more and more people are running stop signs (in my area at least) compared to say 2 or 3 years ago. Or they drive fast as frig approaching the stop sign and quickly slam on the breaks to try and beat everyone else to the stop sign. I almost hate that even more.

I do find that people are "better behaved" around 4-way stops when I'm on the bike compared to in my truck.

I love when you get to a stop sign before the guy to your right or left. You come to a complete stop and they roll right thru.....let's start calling those signs "STOPtional".

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I love when you get to a stop sign before the guy to your right or left. You come to a complete stop and they roll right thru.....let's start calling those signs "STOPtional".

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Lol Joe, start adding that to all the stop signs in Woodbridge with a black sharpie. I hardly ever see anyone stop at stop signs there.

Back
Top Bottom