Stop | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stop

They don't work in Markham as intended. Majority of the times I've seen drivers get confused. They literally stop in the middle of the roundabout if there are cars waiting at the Yield sign, yielding to them.

is that because the signs are in English? or is it a yield symbol.?

I've mastered the art of the 'foot still on pegs' stop. Takes a while to master but, stop half a second and go isn't too hard to do and you don't lose as much momentum.

My cousin got a ticket for stopping without putting his foot down. The cop was unconvinced he actually stopped. Cousin says "when you stop your car do you open the door and put your food down?" Cop was not amused.

My cousin got a ticket for stopping without putting his foot down. The cop was unconvinced he actually stopped. Cousin says "when you stop your car do you open the door and put your food down?" Cop was not amused.

Cousin is right and the cop was being a dolt, hopefully the judge knows more about riding a motorcycle.

They don't work in Markham as intended. Majority of the times I've seen drivers get confused. They literally stop in the middle of the roundabout if there are cars waiting at the Yield sign, yielding to them.

is that because the signs are in English? or is it a yield symbol.?

If there's a sign in words, there's usually a yield sign very close by.

Most of my run-ins with people entering the circle while I'm going at speed with 1-2 car lengths from passing in front of them. 99% of the time I'm ready to brake and lay down the horn when in the circles as they approach and don't appear to be slowing down.
Though a lot of the times it's in Markham, it really is a mix of Asian, Indian, and Caucasian drivers.

I've mastered the art of the 'foot still on pegs' stop. Takes a while to master but, stop half a second and go isn't too hard to do and you don't lose as much momentum.

Someone mentioned bicycles, and on non-busy roads, when there are absolutely no cars (and its a 4-way stop) i kinda get why cyclists don't necessarily stop at stop signs. But do more of a slow down and then keep going if clear. Because the time and speed and energy you lose on a full stop, over a long ride, adds up pretty fast.
Totally against running red lights though, unless you tell me you're off your bicycle and walking it across illegally lol.

Cousin is right and the cop was being a dolt, hopefully the judge knows more about riding a motorcycle.

I'm pretty sure that's up to sixteen points on the M2X examination before they have to get creative, but I guess people no longer worry about driving properly after passing the test.
You are required to do a mirror check, then left, right, left, blindspot check while you're stopped, which isn't possible for many people on a highway capable motorcycle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ml1oYbyPPyUUxaUWc4UDJBRFk/view

This bodes ill for any plans to improve driver training, if everyone is simply going to ignore it afterwards.

If stop
Foot moved

Seriously! :rolleyes: what does that even mean? If the intent was to see you touch a toe to ground wouldn't it just say that, or is this an obscure way of saying look for use of the rear brake pedal?

Assuming the rider has all of his arms and legs; the motorcycle controls are on the hands and feet, motorcycles balance on 2 wheels Not 2 wheels plus a boot or two, if your hands and feet are not on the pegs and bars you can scarcely operate the controls, extending your foot to touch the ground on a balanced motorcycle did absolutely nothing for you except throw the bike off balance and briefly remove one or more of your feet from the foot controls.

I seen an OPP totally fake a stop at a stop sign day before yesterday and we were in a 40 kph hospital zone, nobody got hurt or even close so it really was a non-issue, but I can't help but think if that was me I would have been looking at 2 points and a hefty fine.

If stop
Foot moved

Seriously! :rolleyes: what does that even mean? If the intent was to see you touch a toe to ground wouldn't it just say that, or is this an obscure way of saying look for use of the rear brake pedal?

IIRC it is a test infraction if your foot moves. It is supposed to leave the peg and plant solidly on the ground before moving back to the peg. Any motion between your foot and the pavement is no bueno.

Much of the test criteria needs to be revisited. In a standard car, you are never ever allowed to be in neutral and must shift down through every gear (including first) or you will draw infractions. I'm not sure who came up with the test originally, but it is very far from the safest way to drive.

IIRC it is a test infraction if your foot moves. It is supposed to leave the peg and plant solidly on the ground before moving back to the peg. Any motion between your foot and the pavement is no bueno.

So it's just like getting 3 points instead of 1 for dragging your foot in a section but is still a clean when you don't touch a foot down at all :D I can live with that.

I'm pretty sure that's up to sixteen points on the M2X examination before they have to get creative, but I guess people no longer worry about driving properly after passing the test.
You are required to do a mirror check, then left, right, left, blindspot check while you're stopped, which isn't possible for many people on a highway capable motorcycle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ml1oYbyPPyUUxaUWc4UDJBRFk/view

This bodes ill for any plans to improve driver training, if everyone is simply going to ignore it afterwards.
You're right, it is an infraction during the test. Just like you should never be in neutral ever at a red light. Just like in traffic you should leave x amount of space from the car in front of you. Just like you shouldn't switch lanes too fast.

There are a lot of things on the test that are to prevent encouraging habits that, when taken too far, become very bad -> dangerous habits. Exaggerating certain behaviours makes sure they get ingrained and encouraged.

I don't know about you, but at a stop sign i'm usually not stopping until the stop sign... i'm coasting at about 3-4 kph (according to my speedometer), at that speed you have time to check your mirrors, and left, and right, and blindspot at least 3 times if you have 2 cars in front of you. By that time you should know if any traffic is incoming or turning in any direction and should have tried, or already have made eye contact with the drivers to make sure they've seen you. If they haven't, even if it's your turn, you will want to do a full stop to make sure you don't get sideswiped as in the end, even though the rules are there, and you're right, i prefer being wrong and alive than right and injured/dead.

If there is somebody in the intersection at the time it's a mute point because you are probably going to have to wait for the intersection to clear before proceeding anyway and lol more power to you if you can sit there feet up stationary waiting I would say :thumbup: most will simply touch down a toe while they wait even if it is a yield and not a stop.

speaking of which ... is there a law against how many non-stop laps you can do in a traffic circle? :book:

If there is somebody in the intersection at the time it's a mute point because you are probably going to have to wait for the intersection to clear before proceeding anyway and lol more power to you if you can sit there feet up stationary waiting I would say :thumbup: most will simply touch down a toe while they wait even if it is a yield and not a stop.

speaking of which ... is there a law against how many non-stop laps you can do in a traffic circle? :book:

Totally depends on wether you are dragging a knee or not.Personal knowledge here.

The psychological problem with a rolling stop is that the habitual use of not stopping is imprinted into our unconscious mind, into our auto pilot, so to speak. This all works as intended until the scenario changes and there is someone in front of your vehicle, which you do not see and then hurt.

Not stopping at stop signs and traffic lights is pretty much an informal given here. I was almost t-boned by a cop car on my street, who did a rolling stop at the stop sign. I was in my car and gave him a honk.

I do agree with Kiwi. We have too many stop signs. If they were not there there would be ambiguity, and people would be forced to pay more attention. I believe the UK is testing the effects of less stop signs as a way of increasing safety. Unintuitive it is, but it might very well be effective. examples

We need to pay more attention to human behaviour. Stop signs are habitualized to a rolling stop, which then gets habitualized to just driving through, endangering cyclists and pedestrians.

Last edited:
I do agree with Kiwi. We have too many stop signs.

Stop signs are not supposed to be used to control speed, but what other justification do they have when some roads have a stop sign every block with very very little cross traffic? If they actually wanted to improve flow, many subdivisions could be designed with stop signs on the main collector at only 1 to 3 locations. The remainder of the intersections, the collector could be unsigned. This would vastly improve traffic flow and people would learn to head for the 4-way stops at busy times.

If government actually wanted to lower our carbon emissions, eliminating literally hundreds of thousands of daily stop and starts is low hanging fruit. Instead they'd rather tax and spend.

Residents in the area demand stop signs, and speed bumps, and with nobody to argue against them, they get what they want. Otherwise the politician gets the boot. The choice they face is to add stop signs or lose their job, it's not to either spend or not spend.

Goes back to the general misunderstanding in North Anerica of politics and infrastructure as being there purely for our self-serving best interest, rather than existing to serve society overall even if a few people are annoyed by an action (or inaction).

Back
Top Bottom