Kathleen Wynne - What will be her Legacy? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kathleen Wynne - What will be her Legacy?

Re: Kathleen Wynne - What will be her Legacy?

Forum Sponsor
    I work in tech and the rate at which automation/AI is advancing, pretty soon it will be impossible for anyone, except those with a CS degree to find work.
    (who needs accountants? Truck drivers? Pilots? etc etc etc)

I have friends(some who work for CRA, or other accounting firms) that suggest a tax on businesses who choose to purchase advanced robotics/machines to do the work that was previously done by humans. After all if you put EVERYBODY out of work, that population has to be supported somehow.
    Last edited by bigpoppa; 05-15-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post

I have friends(some who work for CRA, or other accounting firms) that suggest a tax on businesses who choose to purchase advanced robotics/machines to do the work that was previously done by humans. After all if you put EVERYBODY out of work, that population has to be supported somehow.
    I shudder to think anybody working for the CRA, or worse any accounting firm would suggest such a thing. If you tax a company for trying to remain competitive in a market, and force them to retain dumb dumbs to put screw "X" in hole "B".... you'd have to be special. I'd fire my accounting firm for suggestions that dont have my businesses best interest at heart, it what I'm paying them for.

I'd go the other way
    and institute a tax on companies that employ accountants as managers

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    I work in tech and the rate at which automation/AI is advancing, pretty soon it will be impossible for anyone, except those with a CS degree to find work.
    (who needs accountants? Truck drivers? Pilots? etc etc etc)

We're a long way off from that. Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution jobs have always faced pressure from increased efficiency -- that's not new. We adapt, we move on.

The challenge Ontario is facing right now isn't robots replacing us, it's gov't policy scaring investment away.

My little company is/was a great example. I had a dozen well paid factory workers 3 years ago. I wanted to retire so I sold the business to an American firm, one of my suppliers. After a few weeks of operating here, they got fed up with the regulation and taxation -- they moved the whole shebang to PA. Lost were 12 direct jobs, at least the same number of jobs at local suppliers when the company stopped buying their goods and services.

Under Wynn's watch the province has lost a a few hundred thousand jobs (50,000 in January alone). In a strange twist, the job losses didn't impact minimum wage earners as much as it did higher paying jobs -- which is especially troubling as it suggest businesses are cutting high paying technology and manufacturing jobs to fund $14 McJobs.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, GSXR1300, XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

The “automation will put everyone out of work” argument can’t really hold up.....who’s going to buy the things the robots make if they don’t have any cash? There’s a huge catch 22 there and it’s an interesting thought process.

the machines will require no pension plan, benefits, vacation or breaks. The enormous surplus of cash the manufacturing sector will have will divert to social assistance for those left behind and we will have UTOPIA!!

then comes Terminator.....