Kathleen Wynne - What will be her Legacy? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kathleen Wynne - What will be her Legacy?

She will leave no legacy, She will just be known as the "see you next Tuesday" that ran this province even deeper into the ground then Miguinty.

The smog days ended well before Wynne. I think it had something to do with the implosion of industry along the Great Lakes.

As for her Legacy: Debt, debt, and more debt!

Is there any way Kathleen Wynne can put a positive spin on her legacy?

How will you remember Wynne?

I will remember him...I mean her...as a great popcorn ambassador.

Attachments

• o-WYNNE-REDENBACHER-570.jpg
    o-WYNNE-REDENBACHER-570.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 9
The smog days ended well before Wynne. I think it had something to do with the implosion of industry along the Great Lakes.

As for her Legacy: Debt, debt, and more debt![/QUOTE

No, they didn't. The smog levels dropped in lockstep with the elimination of coal fired generators. Stop making **** up to suit your agenda.

no legacy!

except hold on, I'm gonna describe the legacy......

the alt right is an endless source of comedy

No, they didn't. The smog levels dropped in lockstep with the elimination of coal fired generators. Stop making **** up to suit your agenda.

Were you even alive when we had actual smog days in the '60's and '70's?

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blogs/ontario-coal-phase-out-did-not-end-smog-days

The Frasier Institute couldn't be more biased in their "reports". They have well established agendas.

While timing coincidentally lined up between the closing of coal fired plants and the end of smog days, don't assume the Ontario coal plant closings are the reason smog days are gone.

Motor Vehicles particulate pollution made up 85% of the smog during alert days in southern Ontario. About 1/2 the smog came from the USA, the rest originated in Ontario. The gradual retirement of older polluting vehicles AND the recent changes to particulate controls on diesels and coal fired generation in the USA are the primary reason we no longer have smog days.

http://www.airqualityontario.com has a lot of historical data available from the air sampling stations around Toronto.

Yes, that's the one.

It's too bad that this article only has data up to 2011. The timeframe that we're talking about ends with the shutdown of the last coal fired generating plant in Ontario in 2014.

However, you can see from the graphs on article page 21, pdf page 29 that more smog generating components from 2000 (before coal generating plants were eliminated) come from total industrial sources. It's unfortunate that they lumped coal generating plants in with other industries, but this is your article. 507,096 tonnes per year from PM2.5, SO2 and NOX come from "industrial sources" (this includes coal generating stations). 455,362 tonnes per year from "total transportation". I'm not including carbon monoxide as it is an air pollutant, yes, but it is not a component of the yellow/brown smog that we are talking about. CO is colorless and odourless.

Check out this article from the Toronto Star. Ignore the sensationalism of the story and focus on the facts from Toronto Public Health. It discusses the most recent air quality data. I haven't been able to find an updated report with numbers in it like the city report from 2014.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...on-still-causing-serious-health-problems.html

"In 2004, the city determined that air pollution contributed to 1,700 premature deaths and 6,000 hospitalizations annually. By 2014, the number of pollution-related deaths had fallen by more than 23 per cent, to 1, 300 per year. And the number of hospitalizations had declined by 40 per cent, to 3,550."

So, during the timeframe when coal fired generating plants were being shutdown, air pollution premature deaths and hospitalizations decreased significantly.

From the Director of Healthy Public Policy at Toronto Public Health, "...since 2014, the number of pollution-related deaths and hospitalizations have remained roughly the same."

So, post 2014 the gains in reduced air pollution stopped and the levels of air pollution stagnated. This is the same year that the last coal fired generating plant was closed in Ontario. No more coal generating plants to close, no more gains. The article continues stating that transportation sources of air pollution are now the biggest threat to air quality and further gains must address transportation (now that coal has been eliminated).

"Toronto Public Health estimates that pollution from the U.S. causes roughly 30 per cent of this city’s air quality-related deaths and 25 per cent of air quality-related hospitalizations."

A component for sure, but hardly the majority as suggested by others.

"Reduction in coal-fired energy production the U.S. has contributed to improvements in Ontario air quality over the past 10 to 15 years, said Perotta."

Yes, not in dispute, but only within that 30%, not the majority.

The take home from this article is that Toronto saw major reductions in air pollution during the time frame when coal generating stations were shuttered. As soon as the last coal generating station was closed, air quality reductions stagnated. This should not be the case if as MM says, "The gradual retirement of older polluting vehicles AND the recent changes to particulate controls on diesels and coal fired generation in the USA are the primary reason we no longer have smog days." If what MM says is correct then we should still be seeing improvements in air quality, but since 2014, we haven't.

Ontario Smog Days
2003 = 19
2004 = 20
2005 = 53
2006 = 17
2007 = 39
2008 = 17
2009 = 5
2010 = 12
2011 = 9
2012 = 30
2013 = 2
2014 = 0 Last coal fired plant shutdown
2015 = 0
2016 = 1
2017 = 0
2018 to June 15 = 0

...The take home from this article is that Toronto saw major reductions in air pollution during the time frame when coal generating stations were shuttered. As soon as the last coal generating station was closed, air quality reductions stagnated. This should not be the case if as MM says, "The gradual retirement of older polluting vehicles AND the recent changes to particulate controls on diesels and coal fired generation in the USA are the primary reason we no longer have smog days." If what MM says is correct then we should still be seeing improvements in air quality, but since 2014, we haven't...
I don't usually waste my time arguing with those ranting from a soapbox. I gave you a link to the Toronto air monitoring stations, they have data right up 4PM today and a ton of historical data.

Take a moment to check PBH from June 1 - June 15 from 2015 till now. AQHI (Air quality health index) has improved every year since 2014 -- when we had 0 days at level 1 on Toronto for the first 1/2 of June we had 4. Fine particulate matter is still falling as are other greenhouse gasses.

Do a little research at least Plantman. Bone up on the EPA standards that cut industrial and auto emissions in North America substantially in the last decade. In 2004 NOX standards went from .3 to .07/gpm -- that's a forced reduction of 77% from the prior standards. In 2009 that hit trucks harder, their emissions reduced by 87% from the 2004 standard. Do a little math on the depreciation rates for cars and trucks from the road and you have your answer.

Not that I'm suggestion we refire coal plants -- but if we did refire every Ontario coal plants shut off since 2010, they would not create enough emissions to have created a single smog day since 2015.

The next smog day I expect to see in Toronto will be sometime in August -- when the first legal pot stores open in Toronto.

She will be discussed in Schools, Universities, Places of learning. How not to run a Province. Why not to lie. How to prove to citizens when a Politicians moves their lips to tell they are lying.
Her and Dalton McGuinty and the Liberals should never ever be trusted. Puzzle is who do you trust?

Back
Top Bottom