After what I saw tonight, I think I'm going to sell my SS | GTAMotorcycle.com

After what I saw tonight, I think I'm going to sell my SS

HonDerpa500r

Hey all,
Most/Some of you know I just recently bought a GSXR600 after many of you told me it was a bad idea and it's not worth it.
Well, you were all right, once again.

After what I saw tonight on the 403, I think I'm going to call it quits with the SS and get something more tame. I've been on the fence about getting rid of it, basically as soon as I bought it. There's no point in owning an SS on the street, it's just too much unnecessary power.

What really drew the line for me to probably put the GSXR on the market, is what I just witnessed. I pulled onto the 403 at Appleby line, Hamilton bound. Before I even get on the highway, all I see is three idiots fly past myself and multiple other cars doing AT LEAST 200kmph. I thought it would be fun to catch up to them, but quickly gave up after coming to my senses that not only is it extremely dangerous, but it's also illegal, very illegal.

So, I followed behind them for a little bit once they slowed down to a "reasonable" speed, to see if they would slow down even further and at least interact with me. They kept riding, eventually getting back on the throttle and weaving in and out of traffic at again, speeds of probably 180+kmph, no signals or nothing.

That situation right there has turned me completely off of super sports. Sure, riding at speeds like that is fun, but not when there's only people around, that's just moronic and selfish.

Anyways, rant over. I've decided to seriously consider selling the SS and getting a SV650, I think they're called.

Why? Others riding like idiots shouldn't have an impact on your riding.

Long as you got a good head on your shoulders and can control your wrist.

If you dont like it, then its a different matter, but if your happy with your bike....why sell?

not making the connection
they can do their thing
you can do yours

How do I word this without sounding like a dumb dumb. I don't want to be seen as one of those idiots, based on the bike I ride. I like to have fun, and these bikes are just too much to handle, and have a bad public image, which I don't think I want to be apart of.

You dont want to be seen as one of those idiots? Then dont ride like one of those idiots.

Problem solved.

what year/mileage is your gsxr?

Hey all,
Most/Some of you know I just recently bought a GSXR600 after many of you told me it was a bad idea and it's not worth it.
Well, you were all right, once again.

After what I saw tonight on the 403, I think I'm going to call it quits with the SS and get something more tame. I've been on the fence about getting rid of it, basically as soon as I bought it. There's no point in owning an SS on the street, it's just too much unnecessary power.

What really drew the line for me to probably put the GSXR on the market, is what I just witnessed. I pulled onto the 403 at Appleby line, Hamilton bound. Before I even get on the highway, all I see is three idiots fly past myself and multiple other cars doing AT LEAST 200kmph. I thought it would be fun to catch up to them, but quickly gave up after coming to my senses that not only is it extremely dangerous, but it's also illegal, very illegal.

So, I followed behind them for a little bit once they slowed down to a "reasonable" speed, to see if they would slow down even further and at least interact with me. They kept riding, eventually getting back on the throttle and weaving in and out of traffic at again, speeds of probably 180+kmph, no signals or nothing.

That situation right there has turned me completely off of super sports. Sure, riding at speeds like that is fun, but not when there's only people around, that's just moronic and selfish.

Anyways, rant over. I've decided to seriously consider selling the SS and getting a SV650, I think they're called.

Based on your recent posts, it seems you may be overwhelmed by the power the 600 SS offers. If that's the case, it's better to get something easier to ride, like the 650 you're looking at. More comfortable too, and of-course much cheaper to insure. I'm riding a 1000cc SS, and am perfectly comfortable on it. The power band is very manageable and ramp up is super smooth. Maneuvering on it is also much much easier than my previous ride - the ER6n. So flick'able like they say. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon, unless i'm forced to for whatever reason.

Honestly, I thought you had already listed it for sale, when I saw your recent thread about half the asking price offers on kijiji.

Many moons ago, I had a ZX6 after many other bikes. I have never, ever had more attention from the police than I had on that bike (not due to riding habits). In fact, in 27 years of riding, the ONLY ticket I ever got on a bike is a 15 over I got while riding my wifes CBR 125, lol. My old ninja was nowhere near as aggressive as what's available now, so I'm sympathetic to the OP here; between the obvious limitations of a sportbike for regular use, combined with the heat attraction of the cops, it's not surprising to want another bike. Plenty of fun/quick bikes out there. 99% percent of the goofs on sportbikes could never get the full performance out of one anyway, so it makes them kinda overkill even for a very spirited street rider. BTW, the SV is a phenomenal street bike.

Based on your recent posts, it seems you may be overwhelmed by the power the 600 SS offers. If that's the case, it's better to get something easier to ride, like the 650 you're looking at. More comfortable too, and of-course much cheaper to insure. I'm riding a 1000cc SS, and am perfectly comfortable on it. The power band is very manageable and ramp up is super smooth. Maneuvering on it is also much much easier than my previous ride - the ER6n. So flick'able like they say. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon, unless i'm forced to for whatever reason.

Honestly, I thought you had already listed it for sale, when I saw your recent thread about half the asking price offers on kijiji.

I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed with the power, I just find myself not being responsible enough on it. I'm not like the idiots I complained about in this thread, but I do find myself riding above the speed limit quite often, not excessively, but definitely enough to get a large ticket and points.

I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed with the power, I just find myself not being responsible enough on it. I'm not like the idiots I complained about in this thread, but I do find myself riding above the speed limit quite often, not excessively, but definitely enough to get a large ticket and points.

But getting a naked bike won't necessarily help with that. The torque on those naked 650+ bikes is crazy. 0-100 is much faster to hit on those than on SS.

Getting up to 130-140 was cake on the ER6n.

This has less to do with you and more to do with the bike

I found that if im on a tame bike, my discipline is that of the buddha.

Put me on a new fireblade and that discipline goes out the window.

What a waste of a read. Original poster prolly can’t afford the insirance on the super sport so is finding unusual excuses to not look cheap.

if only I could get back the minutes I wasted reading this nonsense...

This has less to do with you and more to do with the bike

I found that if im on a tame bike, my discipline is that of the buddha.

Put me on a new fireblade and that discipline goes out the window.

Exactly. Getting a SS was a bad idea and I should have listened to you guys before. I had no problem doing exactly the speed limit on my CBR500R. Now, I only find myself doing 20+ over on regular streets and 40+ over on highway riding, just because I'm either not use to it yet, or because it's just so simple that I don't even notice how fast I'm going.

What a waste of a read. Original poster prolly can’t afford the insirance on the super sport so is finding unusual excuses to not look cheap.

if only I could get back the minutes I wasted reading this nonsense...

Ladies and Gentlemen, one of the three idiots that I saw tonight. :thefinger::thefinger:

Exactly. Getting a SS was a bad idea and I should have listened to you guys before. I had no problem doing exactly the speed limit on my CBR500R. Now, I only find myself doing 20+ over on regular streets and 40+ over on highway riding, just because I'm either not use to it yet, or because it's just so simple that I don't even notice how fast I'm going.

Gear up faster instead of long revs per gear. That should restrain you from hitting illegal speeds. It's what I do when speed limit is 60 below. I'm in 4th gear when going 60. Then I don't feel motivated to speed.

How do I word this without sounding like a dumb dumb. I don't want to be seen as one of those idiots, based on the bike I ride. I like to have fun, and these bikes are just too much to handle, and have a bad public image, which I don't think I want to be apart of.
I think you're making the right choice. IMO 90% of what people think is decided within the first second they see you. On a SS that gives you a certain rep right off the bat. Sure it's mostly riders/haters and their family that will assign this label (lets say 25% of the road population), but as a rider I understand how that label can be affixed and how it can be different from the image you want to assume. If you want something different go for it! I went from a brand new mini-sport bike to a 34 year old muscle cruiser. yolo.

Really, we're completely spoiled in the west, with our big powerful bikes.

A 250/300 anywhere else would be considered decent.

This is why every few years they keep developing new 300 class bikes. Theres demand for it(other places)

Even a naked bike wont completely help with that, i went from cbr500(i was always very responsible with) to fz 09...I sometimes take more chances than i did before, just because i can and its a lot of fun.

Any bike that is fast or has balls is going to goad you into sometimes using that power. you just have to remember that with great power comes great responsibility. and wrist discipline + good judgement come with experience and aging. Precisely why insurance gets cheaper the older you get.

If you wanted to stay 100% under the limit at all times, you would be better off with just a 300/500. Which is totally fine as well. Just know that switching bikes may or may not solve the issue your having.

Last edited:
Really, we're completely spoiled in the west, with our big powerful bikes.

A 250/300 anywhere else would be considered decent.

This is why every few years they keep developing new 300 class bikes. Theres demand for it(other places)

Even a naked bike wont completely help with that, i went from cbr500(i was always very responsible with) to fz 09...I sometimes take more chances than i did before, just because i can and its a lot of fun.

Any bike that is fast or has balls is going to goad you into sometimes using that power. you just have to remember that with great power comes great responsibility. and wrist discipline + good judgement come with experience and aging. Precisely why insurance gets cheaper the older you get.

If you wanted to stay 100% under the limit at all times, you would be better off with just a 300/500. Which is totally fine as well. Just know that switching bikes may or may not solve the issue your having.
I saw @Evoex riding his fz09. The acceleration is absolutely crazy lol. I can't imagine how anyone can consider that more tame than a SS.

Either the fz09 or z900 or z1000 is going to be my next bike, for when the time comes.

Trust me, out of those 3, fz09 would be better by far.

Trust me, out of those 3, fz09 would be better by far.

I'm completely sold on it already. Just Z1000 has always been my dream naked bike. Hard to let it go. We'll see when the time comes. For now, I'm just beginning to enjoy my Fireblade.

As for the OP, if self restraint is truly the issue, I agree that sticking with < 500cc bikes is the way to go.

I did my M test on a 225cc bike. Had no trouble reaching highway speeds. Just takes a bit longer, but the revs are enjoyable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom