Metal Roofing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Metal Roofing

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
About a 10x10 section of our asphalt shingles got ripped off from the last windstorm. I know that we have to do the roof in the next five (ish) years anyways, so it got me thinking about aluminum roofing. I know it's about 3x more expensive, but it seems to make more sense on many levels.

I would be interested in the interlock panels with the Kynar or Hylar coatings. I'd guess I have about 2000sqft of roof.

Anyone here got a metal roof going on?

Is ceramic an option? I've seen ceramic somewhere.

Metal makes alot of noise when raining.

That's what I thought too, but this company in Mississauga says otherwise with their 'special' roof.

I like that the aluminum roof is almost entirely made of recycled materials, can be 100% recycled after it's done, can be installed over your existing roof, is more energy efficient and seems to last around 30-50 years.

I like the look of ceramic, but I don't know enough about them to see how they would compare.

We replaced our shingled roof with steel 4 years ago. No regrets, survived the wind storm last Friday with ease. Many shingled houses in the neighbourhood will have visits from their insurance and roofing companies next week.

As mentioned they are noisy (pleasantly noisy) in a hard rain. And when the snow slides off its like a train coming through.

Is ceramic an option? I've seen ceramic somewhere.

Metal makes alot of noise when raining.

Tile (as commonly seen in Europe) is HEAVY. Your existing roof structure might not be designed for it.

My neighborhood is at an age where people are starting to have to re-roof. I know I'll have to do mine in the next couple of years. My neighbor needs his done now, thanks to that last storm. Someone in the area just had a roof installed that looks like red tile, but I think it's actually metal. I'll take a closer look the next time I go past it.

Tile (as commonly seen in Europe) is HEAVY. Your existing roof structure might not be designed for it.

My neighborhood is at an age where people are starting to have to re-roof. I know I'll have to do mine in the next couple of years. My neighbor needs his done now, thanks to that last storm. Someone in the area just had a roof installed that looks like red tile, but I think it's actually metal. I'll take a closer look the next time I go past it.

Those tiles are clay and relatively cheap but are heavy. My mums house in the UK has slate roof tiles...really heavy....and deadly when they come off. I was looking at the roofs of the houses in Panama when I was there and they ranged from corrugated steel which is super noisy in a rainstorm, to a neat roof on some which is corrugated shiny steel (to reflect IR radiation) covered with clay tiles so that rain doesn’t make a noise and there’s an insulating air gap between the two. For some reason building tech interests me.

Both recent wind storms damaged my roof. Waiting on insurance. Not planning to keep the house long term, so shingles again it is. Spend yesterday on 4 roofs in the neighbourhood doing patches. I have the longest ladder and some know-how. lol

I like metal
and yes it's noisy in the rain
if screwed down to an existing sheeted roof I don't think it would be near as bad though
but tin on rafters? yeah, would be loud

We replaced our shingled roof with steel 4 years ago. No regrets, survived the wind storm last Friday with ease. Many shingled houses in the neighbourhood will have visits from their insurance and roofing companies next week.

As mentioned they are noisy (pleasantly noisy) in a hard rain. And when the snow slides off its like a train coming through.
Was just talking to my Mom and she was considering a metal roof a couple years ago. Said her insurance company would have added a small surcharge where she lives (Georgian Bay), because of heavy snow loads sliding off the roofs and damaging peoples cars and decks.

I know when I've spent time in other countries, I've always liked the sound of the rain on the roof.

Here's the place in Mississauga I was thinking of checking out: https://canadianmetalroofing.ca/metal-roofing-products/oxford-metal-shingle/

I was hoping for a rebate for installing an energy saving roof, but no such luck.

Our old house was steel roofed, Vicwest painted sheet metal. It suited the character of the house, some houses just dont lend well to the steel corrugated look.
In my opinion the cost of labour and disposal costs will never go down and the idea that in 50-80 yrs your roof may have a recycleable scrap value , not just a tipping fee is attractive.
It wasnt noisy.

I was walking around Keswick yesterday. Lots of shingled roofs were missing small patches (4 to 20 shingles), the only steel roof I saw had peeled off and more than half the roof deck was exposed (and the giant piece of roofing was flapping against the rear wall of the house). I'm not sure if it was installed incorrectly or if if exceeded the design wind load.

I was walking around Keswick yesterday. Lots of shingled roofs were missing small patches (4 to 20 shingles), the only steel roof I saw had peeled off and more than half the roof deck was exposed (and the giant piece of roofing was flapping against the rear wall of the house). I'm not sure if it was installed incorrectly or if if exceeded the design wind load.
Even the best product is only as good as the install.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I used to sell heating cables that people would put on the metal roofs to theoretically resolve the avalanche problem but it doesn't work and I told them so. I was right with lots of stories.

You will only know if you will have ice slides after you put on a metal roof but they are very destructive. Eaves troughs get ripped off, cars damaged, personal injuries etc. You can install bird beaks to stop the ice but they have to be very well secured.

Good shingles will last 20+ years so the 3X cost doesn't work out mathematically.

Noise is a factor. You may like it but do your neighbours.

PM if you want an anti metal rant.

I would definitely get metal or slate at a place that I think will live for a long time. At least that's my plan.

My shingles were ok (from what I see) but I did see bunch of them in my neighborhood.

Unfortunately my fence collapsed, with broken posts.

Just wondering, i assume that my home insurance will go up if I claim it if it's anything like auto?

Anyone with experience in claiming process and outcome? I'm with TD MM combining auto+bike+home

I would definitely get metal or slate at a place that I think will live for a long time. At least that's my plan.

My shingles were ok (from what I see) but I did see bunch of them in my neighborhood.

Just wondering, i assume that my home insurance will go up if I claim it if it's anything like auto?

Anyone with experience in claiming process and outcome? I'm with TD MM combining auto+bike+home

If it's just a few posts and the panels can be saved, I would do it myself, you can likely fix it for less than the cost of the deductible.

I had to make a $25K+ claim with MM back in 2013 due to the summer flood. My rate has gone up each year, probably more than inflation, but has not been a dramatic spike. The biggest downfall is that I can't shop around for insurance. With a large claim on my file, no one else will touch me till I'm in the clear for at least 6 years.

When I built my house a few years ago I used metal roofing (steel) sheathing. It's not that noisy as it is screwed directly to the roof sheathing (5/8 T&G plywood). It would be noisier if I had had to strap the roof and installed on that. The first year I had real issues with the snow sliding off. It blocked the front of the garage and I couldn't get the bike out over the 4 foot high ice pile in the spring. I installed snow guards after that and it cured that problem. We did have a really bad load of snow/freezing rain/rain/snow a couple of years ago, about 10 inches worth of hard packed ice on the roof, and some of the snow guards did get damaged when it shifted.

After having worked as a roofer for a bit and having done many shingle roofs, I would never go back to them, unless your roof is very labour intensive to do (lots of different levels and valleys etc.) I would go with metal. I cannot speak much to aluminum, or to interlocking panels as I haven't had any experience with them, but a friend of mine has had interlocking panels on his house for years and is happy with them.

The large sheets are easy to install, and I believe you can get them up to 18 feet long, so you cover a lot of roof with one sheet. I got mine from the local hardware store, made by Ideal Roofing. I've also heard good things about Havelock metal. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do, L

I heard the screws on metal roofs need to be replaced in time. The way I understand it is the screws have rubber gaskets on them that dry out over time causing leaks. So even though the roof lasts a long time the screws dont.

Imagine trying to find and replace thousands of screws?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I had an aluminum roof on my old house ,warranty was 100 yrs.well worth the investment imo.the only issue was when the snow "let go" from the roof.snow catchers over the doors is a must.

Back
Top Bottom