Metal Roofing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Metal Roofing

I heard the screws on metal roofs need to be replaced in time. The way I understand it is the screws have rubber gaskets on them that dry out over time causing leaks. So even though the roof lasts a long time the screws dont.

Imagine trying to find and replace thousands of screws?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
There are no screws exposed if you go standing seam or interlock.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't know why it's so expensive here to have metal roofing installed in Toronto. I had my cottage roof's done in steel with exterior screws, the local contractor (Perth Ontario)charged me $1.80/sq' for he material and $1.50 for install. It was cheaper than asphalt.

I was doing roof work at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church and noticed the copper eaves troughs were almost worn through where the tile roof cause drip points. It took about 50 years apparently.

One crap thing that eaves installers do is let upper roofs drain onto lower roofs resulting a stream of water eroding the roofing in the path. Especially bad with asphalt.

Thatch anyone?

The screws are easy to see; they are on top of the ridges. They have hex heads and are easy to install or remove. If they were Philips or something and recessed, I might agree with you.

I heard the screws on metal roofs need to be replaced in time. The way I understand it is the screws have rubber gaskets on them that dry out over time causing leaks. So even though the roof lasts a long time the screws dont.

Imagine trying to find and replace thousands of screws?

The screws are easy to see; they are on top of the ridges. They have hex heads and are easy to install or remove. If they were Philips or something and recessed, I might agree with you.

Yeah, even if the rubber deteriorates, being on top of the ridge not much water should get it.

Now we've all seen homeowner specials where they put screws in the field, but that's not the materials fault. :/

I got a steel roof on my shed u installed myself. In Friday's wind I list shingles on my house but my shed stood strong.

I was worries a big sheet of metal was gonna fly off

Got our Steel roof put on last year and have been happy with it so far, our was installed over existing shingles, looks great and held up good to last Fridays wind storm.

Back
Top Bottom