Barbour drops waxed cotton | GTAMotorcycle.com

Barbour drops waxed cotton

crankcall

Site Supporter
Barbour has announced they will drop the iconic waxed cotton trial jacket, due to lack of demand. Literally every ISDT team in the 60' and 70's used this coat.

Now many of you are asking your self, what is a ISDT? and who the hack is Barbour, but some of us will be sad.

Barbour has announced they will drop the iconic waxed cotton trial jacket, due to lack of demand. Literally every ISDT team in the 60' and 70's used this coat.

Now many of you are asking your self, what is a ISDT? and who the hack is Barbour, but some of us will be sad.

I had one back in the '70s - great jacket.

Harvey Mushman wore one in the 64 ISDT. Footed the bill for the team that year.

Steve-McQueen-ISDT.jpg

I have a Norwegian waxed cotton parka. Works really well when it’s not too wet out.

Pity.

I still have a Belstaff one piece wax cotton suit. I like it.

It must be 20 years old. Just wax it at the end of the season and put a little mineral oil on the zippers and its good for the next year. It is really waterproof.

The only disadvantage is that its lined so its a great spring and fall suit. Its a little warm for summer.

Unfortunately they were becoming more fashion items rather than functional motorcycling gear

Barbour hunting jackets are pretty popular here as are Hunter rubber boots. I could never get my head round why people wanted to dress like they waded around in crap all day as the only people that wear that ensemble in the UK are farmers.

Damn millenials killing another industry

Barbour hunting jackets are pretty popular here as are Hunter rubber boots. I could never get my head round why people wanted to dress like they waded around in crap all day as the only people that wear that ensemble in the UK are farmers.

Can't say I've noticed a lot of people wearing wax cotton in Toronto. I thought that might have been one of the reasons they were exiting the market.

It's an old textile technology that's day has come. Like hemp cloth, fur coats, and sisal ropes there will always be waxed cotton coats made as long as there is a fashion market for them.

I like Wax cotton. It's quite practical for motorcycling. Not so much for fashion as the wax rubs off on car seats, etc.

I bought one of these a few years ago

https://www.claymorejackets.co.uk/mojave_deluxe.htm

They are made to measure so fits really well and has Forcefield armor. Its a great 3 season jacket and perfect for the odd shower. Really well made as well and price-wise its around the same as a "fashion" jacket

You can still get a Belstaff -- a little pricer than Barbour.

Steve wore both, in the pictures above he is wearing a Belstaff Trialmaster, not a Barbour.

I Steve McQueen the Original Squid?

os1.jpg

I Steve McQueen the Original Squid?

os1.jpg

Look at the reg. Same bike. He had just picked it up from the factory prior to the ISDT.

Back
Top Bottom