USB power and voltmeter - handlebar mount. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

USB power and voltmeter - handlebar mount.

Curious why you need this?

If you plug in too much gear gives you a sense how much strain you are doing to the bike?
Gives you sense if there is a potential problem with the electrical system?

I take it most bike do not come with a voltmeter?

If you plug in too much gear gives you a sense how much strain you are doing to the bike?

Yep. You just answered all your own questions.

via Tapatalk

IIRC you have an ex-police bike which comes with a big *** alternator. Many bikes (especially older ones) had a barely sufficient charging system. Adding accessories can easily exceed the charging capacity. Also, as per MacDoc's initial concern, some bikes are prone to charging system failure and give little indication that it has happened until you are stranded.

IIRC you have an ex-police bike which comes with a big *** alternator. Many bikes (especially older ones) had a barely sufficient charging system. Adding accessories can easily exceed the charging capacity. Also, as per MacDoc's initial concern, some bikes are prone to charging system failure and give little indication that it has happened until you are stranded.

Yep and it does have a voltmeter build in, one of those things I might take for granted.
I feel I could attach a lazer to the bike and it still would run great. :D

Not as big as it looked with iphone photo

yyaCGaCgTFIeQVOAVB1tSpi_cDZtRRnZGzSxE1bAVTdtclR3Op8I4lg56uF6tXYIVtc-CL0-jTxze0xUfgdgheY0N0qf3CmQF0vmUThQDMixhV9dj9p3y3f2tKITMs-LgcInV86tLmjAaB6NlA33HuyHthmcXUYc5UHtWwIADyXYHDFj1Z8fuhmQopP07WZ7WoCEKy_DAUTv8ixqG7KsXfvKnmX59qmkmEW5xx0QAOcpD1QFxMYvcdnatjdJECr0ePnUVNR7mtcgTZUEo91SNZZcFjhjsDMhPSGvUL_abplD5C9iaGrm6a83tMDPLasgRCXDvxUtEsVQzS1tw37gbQeOvKZ2Obr3ZBl_kfUVB7ZAEv5WuOSI8FZavqTO5Y9OBo30g69O0_sSsN5k5KT_p0gyjmCEOBMlb-y88QiBYoo6mZ_DGJSF_Hbfsu5mLchcDdYSmD9JggYR0cNeHcnqkdwBut26-y9yrX9VcpNiZsSMt8dTOWhGgFRIfJVab65HH-OutbJ_MQvjsZZC-Jock-_oprTvMJviY9N51wU1nrM9xYlt6gNM-kxeA8ATlj7zk8_vHjqHUUqoOcv6gkjb8Xc30CwGgnGe_-ZpoTmv=w1280-h820-no

Have to find a very short Lightning cable

Lb6W2bdoHm7M_XsaPS51Alm05VTtPyY9FBGBMsyokE9O-WmrdHt3Q6eAxWhTQorPGUdEZ6SdOgPRsIsrAimph9wAJu18XUKhE64q3-DGsebLrY39Ygtbdxg_BCHpfPl6H7kTIakaA2L11y_ckVWnVCZ3Dj-cRCsu6Bg-XZ2l1ovr27SfMII6ANb_VBi2yALHICmZfvhwrDTppWaUMPzGa1p77pldtjMr9LdgOsVDrCVLNVeBkQLlKpAHTQb-SlnNux5leOZA2iAeR4gKQxMff03-RWosAJgFO1SFjAFns5HKbHpY3drzFpb2XNMdepPr32YEstPV_Y2oaEGneU5Q3PRhiNYtwqDmo2qFx-kYZlJuXP0XrSzUd5CqdHhXFeBWjjOhUuhxt4WLdTVrkHUXoQv2zsJW_Sf5P3cNk25c821CBKSojc-Q6Ei7ng1yWJ1Y7zhi6JM48Qtd3FY1yuh0zKnFF4Vce2q27X7t7sYPv3ite-FDRNT_FKAtKMm4AyiqtWiOPKE7y2V__eypm3QKNEQd8Fhhd9SB36OHTDYErw5QlewqbuLR4_hwKbIkMEOvINqsypDCfsULujZkIUFYAeg7sXEL_r8R-m9i6Qxy=w1280-h668-no
Macdoc, you need an arm rest

My Nav connected to my bike gives me every possible bit of information I could want. Nice and clean and easily accessible when I want to look at it. I am surprised more bike are not getting smarter dash displays to show all the information the bikes computer has. Pretty sure KTM, Ducati and BMW have this in their higher end bikes and will probably only be a matter of time before they start trickling down to the different models.

Neither is carpal tunnel. I can still do 1,000 km days at age 70 but I'll use what I need to do it. There are Grip Puppies and a GoCruise2 on there as well for same reason.

can you add reliability ?? and I'll guess a fair bit of that poor stats is due to electronics.....need something to justify the high prices I guess :D

case in point

20s for 2014/15 BMW R1200RT with BMW Navigator 5 and iPhone

Thomas Richards
December 14, 2014 10:49 NONE Follow
That's my challenge and I hope you'll help. (BMW bought my $1200 Schubert/BMW Comm System back after 4 failures in 6 months.) Can you provide instruction to pair the 20s with the BMW Audio Platform (AP) with the Nav V and my iPhone? I'll buy the duo pack if I can also link two helmets. (Ive tried Scala C9x and it will pair one or the other, the AP or the Nav V, but not both)

Can you ASK your Nav system to take you to the nearest timmies without touching a thing? :D

Last edited:
I had a stator fail on the highway on my old gixxer, and the battery went dead nearly immediately. I mean it just shut off and left me stranded.
The dash flickered for maybe about 10 seconds and that was it.

Unless my situation was unique, I'm almost positive that having a volt meter will do you absolutely no good if a stator or R&R go bad...

I had a stator fail on the highway on my old gixxer, and the battery went dead nearly immediately. I mean it just shut off and left me stranded.
The dash flickered for maybe about 10 seconds and that was it.

Unless my situation was unique, I'm almost positive that having a volt meter will do you absolutely no good if a stator or R&R go bad...

Correct.Same issue i had with my wing 2 years ago.Voltmeter did me no good at all.Might tell you when a battery is starting to go bad.But if you replace the battery every 6 or 7 years you'll never have a problem.Common sense.

It SHOULD tell if you are not providing enough power to charge the battery when the stator is failing to charge the battery ....

A normal reading is 13.8 volts or so when running - if your voltage starts to drop you need to be aware/

On my vision (famous for dead stators, i think they sell t-shirts with flaming stators on them) i had a stator die. It didnt just die though, it stumbled on for a month or so. How did i know that? I had a volt meter installed. I would start the bike in the morning, ride it for a few minutes and the volt meter would go from 11.5 to 14.5 magically. In an hour or so, it'd hit 11.5. Lower and lower it would go, until i'm almost at the 'find somewhere to pull over' zone.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/testing-stator-output.556454/

This makes sense as many of the stator failures are heat related ...someone in Europe was using a IR temperature sensor to show the difference between a stock stator/regulator and one that ran much cooler .....different type of regulator. ( mosfet )

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,20426.0.html

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ca/prod...r-suzuki-gsx-r-600-gsxr-750-2006-2009-rm22965

The difference was startling

I have an 01 Ultra Classic with 80,000 miles. Fuel Injected 88 inch stock motor. Went for a ride today and the bike run great down the highway 75-80 mph but once I got off the highway and come to the first stoplight and had to stop the bike stalled at idle. Re started the bike and at the next stoplight it tried to stall again but didn't. I then noticed that my volt meter was reading around 11 volts and not the normal 13-14 volts. Voltage would go up as rpm went up but the would come back down to around 11 volts as I leveled the speed out around 60 or so. Bike got me home but stalled again as I pulled in the garage. I replaced the stator and regulator about 10,000 miles ago due to a similar problem. What do ya think? Stator and regulator gone bad again? Thats my guess. Thanks for the help! Ride Safe!
http://harleytalking.com/archive/index.php/t-7602.html?

My failing stator would output enough if I kept the bike at 5,000 rpm or higher ( this according to the Honda dealer ) ....I made it far enough in Virginia on a full charged battery plus the failing stator to pick up the new stator (100 miles or so)

The symptoms were initially a flickering ABS light at idle and then I gradually lost various electrical functions and eventually the bike died entirely.
Pretty certain the voltage meter would have shown a problem before the ABS light started to flicker and would have shown low voltage at low RPM?

BUT if you are not checking the voltage is staying at 13.8 or so ...well...
I'd prefer to see a nice stable electrical system for peanuts.

Last edited:
can you add reliability ?? and I'll guess a fair bit of that poor stats is due to electronics.....need something to justify the high prices I guess :D

case in point

Can you ASK your Nav system to take you to the nearest timmies without touching a thing? :D

That is why SOOO many people are being stranded everywhere on their BMW's. Travelled all over, not once have I been left stranded or even broken down on numerous version of the GS as have countless other people. They have had some issues in the past, but they were corrected and fixed.

Don't need anything to justify the high prices, value comes from the one buying. My GSA has everything I want in a bike that no other bike offers... which includes the electronics.

Not sure about what you quoted there, but I have my phone and Nav linked to my helmet. Streams audio, takes phone calls, gets weather warnings and reports, routes around construction, etc etc. Can't say if it works with 2 helmets as I ride solo and never tried to link more then 1 at a time to my Nav.

I am sure I could ask my phone through my helmet to take me to Timmies, not sure what the point of that question is.

My KTM has a voltmeter reading buried somewhere on a menu page. Never used it so far though but I keep the battery maintainer on when the bike is parked in the garage now.

My KTM has a voltmeter reading buried somewhere on a menu page. Never used it so far though but I keep the battery maintainer on when the bike is parked in the garage now.

I do the same, always plug it into the charger at night. Never look at it myself.

Whoah! That thing is a monstrosity! When the weather turns foul, the USB ports must be covered which also covers the volt meter. Not very practical.

I already have my USB sorted, so I went with a cheapo, stand alone ePay volt meter. Integrates into the dash, costs four bucks.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/LED-DC-Car-M...hash=item1ece74c9e5:m:mwBDxgyljp64c_I6Uin_Jjg

8bS19RQ.jpg

via Tapatalk

Aliexpress has a square voltmeter for CDN$1.44 including free shipping. It's of questionable quality so be sure to wire a fuse or it will likely short-cirdcuit in the rain.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Min...6fa9093&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

Back
Top Bottom