First time rider - HELP | GTAMotorcycle.com

First time rider - HELP

Here's my story, and yes I know I may have made some bad decisions but I don't know what to do about my situation.
I moved to a different city for school and decided I'd buy a bike in the new place since I'd be spending the next three years there and it's not too far from Toronto if I ever wanted to ride back home during the summer. I bought a 2015 Royal Enfield Continental GT (2000 kms on it) because of the over all bad *** look/feel to the bike. The dealer safetied it and assured me it was good to go. Shortly after I got it delivered to me the bike was having issues starting, and while practicing riding in the parking lot i noticed that the throttle was very jumpy. Then the bike completely crapped out on me. The dealer gave me a new battery for free but that did not fix the problem. Then they gave me a new spark plug (NGK iridium BR7EIX). The bike still won't start and I feel like if I keep trying anymore the new battery will give out.

What do I do? I'm going to call the mechanic at the dealership tomorrow again but I'm not sure how much help they'll be.

p.s i know i shouldve gone with a small sportbike or something more reliable as my first bike but i love this bike, i just want to get this figured out so i can ride.

bummer.....they are neat looking bikes
but plagued by quality issues, sorry to say

how long have you had the bike?
although it's used
them being a dealer they should be willing to assist

nothing against mechanics
but you need to talk to the dealer principal to really get help

where are you and the bike located?

If you're not mechanically inclined (or wondering how to spend all the money in your pocket), I recommend trying to get out of the Enfield and buy a reliable bike. Once you get "this" figured out there is a very good chance another problem will crop up and it will be death by 1000 cuts. Life is long, you can buy the Enfield again later.

What does the UVIP show? Was this bike owned by a private owner who put 2000 km on in 2 years and then got rid of it? Maybe they couldn't keep up with the problems (or maybe they just didn't have time to ride).

Where are you located? Where is the dealer? How many km's have you put on motorbikes?

I've had the bike for about a month now and I'm located in Ottawa at the moment. I've only really started to be able to deal with the bike within the last couple of weeks because of the weather and I exams were eating all my time up. The dealer is located about a half hour drive away. The bike was previously owned by a private owner who apparently bought it then quickly upgraded to a Harley. All I know is that the previous owner dropped it once, but only cosmetic damage resulted.
I don't have any experience other than the M2 course I took while I was still in Toronto. I'm not mechanically inclined. So I should cut my losses and try to get something reliable?

I'd suggest you need to get the RE running and usable
if you've only had it a month and bought it at a dealer
there should be some goodwill there to help you a bit

if you're not mechanically inclined and want to be able to turn the key and go
you should get rid of that Indian POS and find something else

Make sure the engine kill switch is in the run position, not the off position.

Do you have fuel in the tank and if so, how much? If the fuel level is low (on reserve) get some fuel and fill the tank. It’s possible the pump in the tank isn’t able to get fuel to the injector.

When you put the key in the ignition and switch to ‘on’, do you get lights and power?

If not, you have an electrical issue.

If so, count to 10 in your head, cross your fingers and hit the starter button.

If it still doesn’t start, do you see any lights remaining lit on the dash?

Do you hear the starter motor working, or you push the starter button and silence?

Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Royal Enfield should run :/ in India they don't seem to have any problem keeping them going long enough to wear them out.
... I'm tempted to say bring it here and I'll give it a shot at getting it going. Carburetor is an excellent first place to start and the really cool thing about working on a bike like that, it only has one of most things.

Hey wait! 2015 isn't that fuel injected? lol there is nothing wrong with your carburetor. ... check your fuel pressure.

Last edited:
... riding in the parking lot i noticed that the throttle was very jumpy.

Dealers often do not do much to bikes they get in bulk or from a trade-in. Have the injectors cleaned, dump fuel and do an oil change(if not done already). Get the dealer to do it.

Short rides don't allow the throttle to open fully and old gas or sediment can clog injectors. Start with the regular maintenance steps and the shop will do the basic troubleshooting from there. ie Is fuel getting to where it needs? Is there spark? Is there enough air flow? ... Did a squirrel build a nest in the pipes?

I had issues with my Vstar. Ran great for first few weeks, then got choppy. Either my shop didn't do an oil change or carb clean or the short rides gummed it up faster than normal. Once that was done, all good as gold again.

"in India they don't seem to have any problem keeping them going long enough to wear them out"

Dude, they constantly fix and patch these bikes and they keep everything going long enough to wear it out. It's a much poorer country. Have you ever been outside of Canada? People fix stuff with random pieces of metal, plastic and wood; using a hammer and screwdriver as the only tools.

OP - if you don't like to wrench, get rid of RE and buy something reliable. Enfields have a horrible reputation.

Dude, they constantly fix and patch these bikes and they keep everything going long enough to wear it out. It's a much poorer country. Have you ever been outside of Canada? People fix stuff with random pieces of metal, plastic and wood; using a hammer and screwdriver as the only tools.

OP - if you don't like to wrench, get rid of RE and buy something reliable. Enfields have a horrible reputation.

Agree with pretty much everything you said, and yes I traveled Madagascar and that is a far more impoverished country, an R-E would be a major upgrade for the average Malagasy rider, but then clean drinking water and a chimney for their house would be a major upgrade too!

The last R-E I rode was built in 1953 so to be fair that unit was built in the UK and not India. India is not exactly renown for producing world class machinery but the original bike was designed to last.

Back
Top Bottom