Half the asking price, but I'll pay cash!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Half the asking price, but I'll pay cash!!

HonDerpa500r

More of a simple rant than anything else...
I've listed a couple vehicles, and my bike on kijiji, along with other items, and it never seems to fail.

There's always more people messaging me offering less than or just above half of the listing price of the item, but they say they're willing to pay cash.

I just don't understand how people can just throw out that insulting number, and expect people to take the bait simply because they're willing to pay cash.

It's gotten to the point for me, that whenever I get a serious low ball offer, I mimic their offer, but add 2 grand onto what I have the item listed for. Then when they tell me "that's more than what you're asking", I can come back with "You're offering less than what I'm asking."

Anyways, just needed to vent a little on the idiocy of kijiji.

Ah Kijiji, I've gotten similar. "Will you take half because I have to come from the north?"....come from Mars I don't care.
I replied with a link to an online retailer selling the item and told them to order it from them to safe themself the travel. ;)

Kijiji has had this mess for a long time. It leads to people listing items for way over fair market value as they expect to get lowballed. Then someone else comes along and sees the high prices and posts their vehicle at the entirely unrealistic price and gets ****** at anyone that offers them a fair price.

Personally, I price fairly and just ignore the dumb offers.

EDIT:

JoeyB reminded me of comedy gold that my wife was involved in. She was selling clothing for $20 (I thought that was a fair price as it was ~$100 new and still in good shape). Someone contacted her and said $15 was their max. She accepted as it was close enough and she wanted it done and asked when they were coming to pick it up. The buyer said they require delivery ~60 km away for the agreed price. Yeah, gfy.

Last edited:
simply supply and demand
if I wanna get rid of my old car asap, don't wanna take my space, and NO offer except one, I may consider
if I have room for extra stuff, don't need money, well you could just simply ignore them

Just the nature of the game bud. Sell it for the best you can get, that's your job. Their job is to buy for the least they have to pay.

I have no serious problem with a little dickering, but offering half is an insult.
And I tell them as much

I usually accept every lowball offer I get, and schedule a meeting I never plan to attend. Anyone who opens with an offer without any viewing/discussion is full of **** anyway

I had all kinds of responses to a recent bike I sold.

Low ball offers. Love the offers willing to pick it up today with cash.

I just laugh. Like, I was thinking of financing it or taking a cheque. Lol.

I posted it and said it’s as is. And priced as such.

Then had a fella ask me how much to safety it and they are not a mechanic and can’t afford to pay someone to do it.

Told them, it’s likely not the bike for them and look elsewhere. If I went through the time and expense to safety it, I would have priced it to reflect that price.

Sure enough the fella that expressed interest first, bought it for what I asked. But my lord the responses I had over that couple of days were funny to annoying.

I did get a couple of calls and they were actually the best experiences even though it didn’t lead to the sale. Funny how the phone just seems to have people treat each other with some sort of respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowballers are to be expected. I remember when I was trying to sell my bike, got a ton of low ball offers. One guy asked me a gazillion questions about it, in the end only to lowball me with almost half my asking price. And my asking price was very fair, it's what I ended up selling for. That's the worst kind of lowball, IMO.

If you don't like dealing with lowballers or tire kickers, could always trade it in to a dealer.

I usually accept every lowball offer I get, and schedule a meeting I never plan to attend. Anyone who opens with an offer without any viewing/discussion is full of **** anyway

That's actually a good idea. I'm gunna do that next time I get a low ball offer.

Why take it so personally?

You know it took a minuscule amount of effort for the guy to lowball you, yet the time and energy you're spending raging about it is disproportionate.

Just delete the e-mail/txt and move on with your life. It's so not worth stressing over it.

This.

Add this to your advert: "Lowball offers will be ignored."

/thread

Add this to your advert: "Lowball offers will be ignored."

/thread

If you've been on kijiji and the like long enough you know that doesn't stop them from trying :mad:

Anyone who opens with an offer without any viewing/discussion is full of **** anyway

I disagree with this. I can come up with a price that I am happy to pay assuming that condition is as described. There is no point going to look at something if the seller doesn't like my price. I don't want to waste my time and theirs if it is a losing situation from the beginning.

I don't think I have ever negotiated after meeting someone as we both agreed on a number before and the condition was reasonably well described. I have walked away after a meeting as what they were selling had little to do with their ad.

I just laugh. Like, I was thinking of financing it or taking a cheque. Lol.

This is what always gets me, I'm still confused to this day. Regardless of what I've been selling, a car, furniture, electronics: "I'LL GIVE YOU CASH TONIGHT"

My take on Kijiji/'cash' lowballers: I think a lot of these people who low ball items and pull the old 'I HAVE CASH RIGHT NOW' are the type that don't have 2 pennies to rub together, make impulse purchases they can't afford and window shop hoping if they dick enough people around they'll catch someone in as ****** of financial situation as they are in who has to sell the item because rent is due tomorrow or they are getting evicted.

ignore lowballers, anybody that would agree to set up a meet with no intention of showing up? really?

Im trying to buy right now, paying asking price, dude wont give me his address to come pick it up....asked like 3 goddamn times

Some of these ppl smh, i dont think they really want to sell

Keeps pretending i didnt just ask him for his address and continues the conversation

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom