Biker wave question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Biker wave question

I always wave with a hand down/out or low peace sign (not sure why, just feels right lol). The only awkward time for waving is taking off from a stop sign/light and you both need to use your clutch hand so you do that "yes I see you, but I'm busy" nod:

Always funny when you wave to someone stopped at a light and they wave back with their clutch hand and stall. :lmao:

I admit, I've done that once before - never again. lol

I'll only "wave" passing a little kid with his parents if the kid is agog over the bike or waving at me first; I figure it's good public relations to the parents to see some bikers as non-threatening instead of being perceived as perennial *****.

I always take the extra second (if possible) to acknowledge a little kid who is making googly eyes over my bike, or the kids who stop playing or moving to watch you. I remember being young and being fascinated by bikes and cars and how awesome it was when the driver/rider gave me a rev or a wave.

I do notice with the decline in sport bike riders from when I rode years back, they are all seemingly much more enthusiastic at waving and taking notice of you than I remember. You can definitely tell insurance/the market has changed thing from 5+ years ago; in my area very rarely do I see a newer/nice sport bike, if you see a new shiny sport bike from a far, it typically is a 300-500 CC something once you get closer.

Always funny when you wave to someone stopped at a light and they wave back with their clutch hand and stall. :lmao:

I admit, I've done that once before - never again. lol

that's funny.....helmet nod is my preferred acknowledgment

had an entertaining moment on my way back up from the south
cruising up the road, see bikes approaching from behind, so I move to the right
lead rider gets beside me and I give him a nod, he scowls at me and my jap bike, whatever

the other 8 or so weekend Sons of Anarchy wannabes do the same
with a noisy throttle blast at the Yamaha guy

minute or 2 later a dude on an old Harley, rough looking SOB, ape hangers, passes me
big smile and a wave as he goes by....he's a patched MC member
stays on the throttle and goes right up the middle of the posers who look like they've shat their pants

Last edited:
I always take the extra second (if possible) to acknowledge a little kid who is making googly eyes over my bike, or the kids who stop playing or moving to watch you. I remember being young and being fascinated by bikes and cars and how awesome it was when the driver/rider gave me a rev or a wave.

I do notice with the decline in sport bike riders from when I rode years back, they are all seemingly much more enthusiastic at waving and taking notice of you than I remember. You can definitely tell insurance/the market has changed thing from 5+ years ago; in my area very rarely do I see a newer/nice sport bike, if you see a new shiny sport bike from a far, it typically is a 300-500 CC something once you get closer.

The general public typically can't tell the difference between a 250cc and 600cc sportbike from 5 ft away unless you have them side-by-side.

With my CBR125, some asked if it was a 250 or 500.

With my Ninja300, people ask if it's a 600.

Only people who ride or know someone who does could tell the difference.

I wave at everybody. Some wave back, some don`t. Waved at Po Po. Never not had a wave back. Even had waves from Po Po in their vehicles. For me no big deal.
Pull over for any rider that has stopped. I would like them to do the same for me.
It`s a friendly thing, no egos here. I have nothing to prove, except happiness.
I think some of us have waved at scooters, accidently? Got the finger in return. I can only laugh.

I wave at everybody. Some wave back, some don`t. Waved at Po Po. Never not had a wave back. Even had waves from Po Po in their vehicles. For me no big deal.
Pull over for any rider that has stopped. I would like them to do the same for me.
It`s a friendly thing, no egos here. I have nothing to prove, except happiness.
I think some of us have waved at scooters, accidently? Got the finger in return. I can only laugh.

I do exactly this. All about positivity.
I get waves or acknowledgements from cops, but mind you I have a ex cop bike. Cops do become chatty when they see me.

I find the kid thing funny, I get waves from them, others just stop and gawk or become so captivated. It's interesting.

Yup did that a couple times to scooters, noting bad in return, but meh.

Absolutely acknowledge another rider 100% of the time but if no response happens I just assume they are busy, so no worries.
Important thing is if you really need assistance, almost for certain a motorcycle rider will stop to help.

I'll pop a wheelie if safe to do behind a school bus; if not, clutch in and redline. The kids always start screaming in joy.

And yes, I wave to every motorcycle. Even if I'm leaned far over and see someone, I'll still stick the outside hand out with a peace sign...partially because I'm showboating.

But like others have said: **** e-bikers, **** scooters, AND **** THE THREE WHEELED THINGS THAT ARE NOTHING CLOSE TO MOTORCYCLES!

...........I mean, don't hate, love everyone

I always wave and if im pulling the clutch, i nod/back. I do not wave to e-bikes and scooters but if they wave, i wave back.
Nothing wrong with a common courtesy and comradery!
and in my experience, 90% of the times, people wave back and who cares about the ones that dont :D

First day of warm riding weather and I’ll wave my hand off.

By June, you get a nod.

By August, you’ll be lucky if I fart in your general direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
油井緋色;2563870 said:
I'll pop a wheelie if safe to do behind a school bus;

But like others have said: **** e-bikers, **** scooters, AND **** THE THREE WHEELED THINGS THAT ARE NOTHING CLOSE TO MOTORCYCLES!

...........I mean, don't hate, love everyone
Kids (teens) in a bus held up a big sign in the back window a few yrs back. "Honk if you're Horny".So i honked and stood up (1100 Hypermotard) and humped the tank a bunch.Ummm maybe i won't pass this one with plate exposed.Yaaa...brain fart!

And those three wheeled things and scooters could be owned by people that have lost some of their mobility due to arthritis etc.Ya i wave to them.But NOT those ****ing e-bikes.

Last edited:
The only ones that have NOT waved back at me are some cruisers.

It's whether a wave or a nod that i do.
I noticed that on my cbr, not many cruiser waves. On my magna I haven't missed a wave or head nod yet. I always try and return one or a head nod if possible. I tend to wave to a lot of kids and old folks but not ebikes, pirates or slingshot/spyder things

they too busy re-enacting sons of anarchy

I wave, even banked over a corner, because if your body is right you don't need your hands.

The general public typically can't tell the difference between a 250cc and 600cc sportbike from 5 ft away unless you have them side-by-side.

With my CBR125, some asked if it was a 250 or 500.

With my Ninja300, people ask if it's a 600.

Only people who ride or know someone who does could tell the difference.

Sorry wasn't referring to general public noticing, it's an observation I make when out riding, can ride a whole afternoon without passing another sport bike but will encounter 40 cruisers or naked bikes whereas 5+ years ago sport bikes had a much higher % in the mix. If I am passing something sportly looking, 80% chance it's a 300-500 or something like an SV

Same, I'll always slow (if safe) and give the questioning thumbs up like "are you good?"; once had two burly looking guys on Harley's flag me down after motioning if they needed help, nicest guys ever asking for directions because they didn't know how to work the Maps app on their phone.

One thing I love, it brings all kinds of people together that you might not encounter in your normal work or social circles.

Sorry wasn't referring to general public noticing, it's an observation I make when out riding, can ride a whole afternoon without passing another sport bike but will encounter 40 cruisers or naked bikes whereas 5+ years ago sport bikes had a much higher % in the mix. If I am passing something sportly looking, 80% chance it's a 300-500 or something like an SV

That's true....

Once upon a time, SuperSports were cheap to insure. Only because the insurance industry hadn't caught on yet (ie. Statefarm having rates based on engine size)

Back
Top Bottom