Wonder where the old hardcore gtamer went? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wonder where the old hardcore gtamer went?

Yorkee

Site Supporter
When I was the usual suspect in gtam, I always wonder where what happen to the old-timer that disappear. Did they quit motorycle? Did they outgrow it? Did they move out of Toronto? Did they die of a heart attack or crash? (I really hope not!) Did they get married have kids and forced to sell the bike?

I promise one day I "die down" from being a hard-core gtamer, I will come back and tell the tale to those who wonder where the old-timer went.

So... Here I am. I'm still alive. I am still riding, and I am still a motorcyclist.

I moved out of Toronto more than a decade ago (although I was still actively posting for few years after I move away), then hook on to another local forums from where I moved to, thats never the same as gtam. Then my life get busier, and there are more important stuff to do than posting or reading forums.

As for riding, I never quit. Time pass by I have less question about riding, I am less curious about motorcycle gossip. The new posts on forums start to get repetitive, I get to the point where I use forum just to search for information I need.

I also started a family and have kids. I did spent less time riding, indeed I almost quit group ride. I have several friends where I ride with, they all start to move away. I rarely ride twisty road anymore. The quality of twisty road around here doesn't worth the time. My street riding only involved commuting mostly. That said, I don't feel I depreciated my "riding quality". I always dedicate 3-5 days a year for track day, which I didn't have the sufficient funding to do when I was young.

Kids grow bigger, I spend more time teaching them riding instead, I enjoy it. There are even time where I skip my track day session and ride the little trails on the side of the track with kiddos on their pocket bike, and I don't feel like I miss any fun from trackday afterward.

I secretly hope one day I am lucky enough to enjoy riding motorcycle with my kids, rather it is touring, track days, trail riding or adventuring.

I still own the bikes I have on my avatar. They all go through normal cycles of rebuild. And I still enjoy all of them.

As for gtam, I definitely venture way less. (I haven't login to gtam in years!) I don't see myself come back posting like I used to. Looking back, this place has changed me, help me become a more open-minded, out-going person, and taught me the proper mentality toward riding, which sometimes even lead to mortal toward life.

I hope you enjoy knowing what happen to one of the gtam old-timer that disappear!

Nice to hear from an other original member. Not sure if we met way back, I think we may have during one of the small GTAM meets (I used to be Krimesf4i). I've stuck around in and out over the years since '02. I was definitely much more active originally when the community was smaller, posts weren't recycled, and it was much more personal. This forum has done a lot for me, from buying and selling bikes and parts, to kick-starting my street riding career. When I got my first street bike (a brand new '02 F4i), I headed to the forums since I didn't know anyone in the motorcycle scene at the time. I was 18. That was almost half my life ago - I'm 34 now with a career, house of my own, and a wife and son... and a hell of a lot more responsibility. But at the same time I've got even more bikes now and do what I can to ride as much as possible - it's a huge part of me and I could never stop.

There were so few active members at the very beginning, but meeting up for those group rides made for some of the best memories. I used to meet with fellow members almost every other day, riding way out to whitby/Ajax/Pickering and all over the GTAM till 2am in the morning... putting A LOT of miles on along the way. Met some great people. I remember getting home to my moms place early morning with my ears ringing and face burning from the wind after riding all night. I blame the chronic tinnitus I have now on riding all those miles without any ear protection, LOL. Seriously, those starting out and riding a lot, if you're reading this, wear ear protection.

Hope this thread brings more of the original members - that I used to know well but have since fallen out of touch - out of the woodwork. Would love to hear from them.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you Yorkee. I'm still around. Still riding, but as with you mostly commuting, but rather be on the bike than not.

> street ride

>burrito or ice cream meets

> touring

> track

> race

> dirt bike

> mountain bike or minivan.

Seems to be how the life of a GTAM biker evolves.

The female version is

> street ride

> Light touring

> Find a boyfriend from one of the GTAM finest

>Sell the bike

> street ride

> touring

> track

> race

> dirt bike

> mountain bike or minivan.

Seems to be how the life of a GTAM biker evolves.

I'm alive!!!

...wait... What year is the cutoff to be part of the elite oldtimers?

Probably around the time MSN started.

I mean, you do have your MSN (IM) contact info attached to your profile... Lol

Probably around the time MSN started.

I mean, you do have your MSN (IM) contact info attached to your profile... Lol

Hey! I guess I made the cut. I'm old.

Is it even possible to use MSN anymore? I used it very little even back in the day, ICQ was more my thing.

Ah the good old days.Back when the mailman dropped off your flyers for competition events right at your doorstep.CMA got them to you a day or two after the events tho.Lol...things haven't changed all that much.Hahaha.

How about the days when The Auto Trader or Bike Trader came in paper format. Man I miss that! Every Thursday I would sit and read through it meticulously. Always had to skip past the boats though...
:)

Just the other day I found an old copy of the Super Shopper from 1999. The prices of used bikes were crazy cheap in 99 lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

How about the days when The Auto Trader or Bike Trader came in paper format. Man I miss that! Every Thursday I would sit and read through it meticulously. Always had to skip past the boats though...
:)

Cycle Canada was a newspaper format too.And for $100 you could get a lifetime subscription.I have a complete Toronto Star from 1953.Should check out the bike prices.

The female version is

> street ride

> Light touring

> Find a boyfriend from one of the GTAM finest

>Sell the bike

Oh come on lol There are a few girls who don't do that....right?

Good to see you back posting. I am still here and still riding put do not post as much any more. I hope to see you out !

Back
Top Bottom