Anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ?

I dont know about the rest, but I cannot live without riding on this earth

Rest assured if your like me you WILL regret hanging them up

While i agree with the mentality, something can't really be avoided timing wise. Experience and knowing what to look for and expect (head movement, car positioning, hand movement in car, etc) decreases a lot of the chances of being stuck in a less than ideal position. I do "agressive defensive" riding... i get out of blind spots as fast as i can, i try to be in control, and if i can, i try to be marginally faster than moving traffic (say 10kph) that way i've got less static time next to the same driver that might've not spotted me.

What you said, the quote comes down to this, life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of what you do with it. Bringing in all that negative energy to your riding was definitely not the best idea, so instead of focusing on it you try to make something out of it!

I see all these people doing stupid moves on the road, not wanting to share the road to save 1.5 seconds on their commute, stressing them for no reason. I just don't see the point.

^^^^^^ This! All of this! Only other thing I do is ease off the throttle when a cager wants to swing his dick around and race past me because he has a point to prove. Have your win buddy, I'm still having more fun!

Guys

In light of the upcoming marijuana laws,
the increased use of cell phones and the resulting traffic crashes,
**** drivers all around,

is anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ?
Citing marijuana laws, increased cell phone use, and bad drivers as compelling reasons to stop riding is, I'm afraid, a ridiculously lame argument. Come on. Really. You can just as easily be killed walking down the the street like one of the 10 unlucky souls up at Yonge and Finch. Why let fear of such scenarios dictate your life?
Motorcycles are awesome and incredibly exhilarating machines. Riding is a visceral experience unlike anything else. Life is short. Just ride.

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I have an active life outside or the bike so if I had to quit it isn't the end of the world. Each spring I rethink my options and think about what I want to do, musing about selling the bike.

Once I've had my first ride the negative feelings go away.

Am I wrong to enjoy riding in traffic? I've been riding 40+ years and I like to think, despite the deteriorating quality of general driver's skills, I'm pretty good at predicting what people are going to do, and can figure out which cars to avoid.

I find it challenges and stimulates me mentally; which is important for mental health and brain function as we age (I'm old!).

I read a study that showed British motorcycle couriers had far lower rates of Alzheimer's and dementia than the general public, the hypothesis was that the constant mental stimulation of riding in traffic kept their brain function at a higher level than the average person.

Am I wrong to enjoy riding in traffic? I've been riding 40+ years and I like to think, despite the deteriorating quality of general driver's skills, I'm pretty good at predicting what people are going to do, and can figure out which cars to avoid.

I find it challenges and stimulates me mentally; which is important for mental health and brain function as we age (I'm old!).

I read a study that showed British motorcycle couriers had far lower rates of Alzheimer's and dementia than the general public, the hypothesis was that the constant mental stimulation of riding in traffic kept their brain function at a higher level than the average person.

Interesting! :)

I don't doubt that. When I arrive at work after a ride I'm mentally engaged, pumped up and ready to go. When I arrive at work after a drive, I'm lethargic and scrambling for that morning coffee. When I arrive at work after taking public transit, I feel plain ****** to be honest.

Cycling is great too and the health benefits are well documented - all the mentioned mental aspects plus physical/cardiovascular. On a nice sunny day though, it's very very hard to resist taking the one with the motor out instead...

^^^^^^ This! All of this! Only other thing I do is ease off the throttle when a cager wants to swing his dick around and race past me because he has a point to prove. Have your win buddy, I'm still having more fun!
And also another thing i try to do, is go 'out of my way' to be courteous. ie. if you put your signal, i'm letting you in and giving you space (the opposite is also true, no signal, you no go) I'm hoping that it might maybe give us a better reputation on the road making cagers rage less at us, understanding that it's not all about ride of 6ix and wheelies and 'i know this guy who died riding' and maybe, just maybe, they will have a bigger tendency in the future to look at motorcycles like these people who let me in when i put my flasher on.

I don't doubt that. When I arrive at work after a ride I'm mentally engaged, pumped up and ready to go. When I arrive at work after a drive, I'm lethargic and scrambling for that morning coffee. When I arrive at work after taking public transit, I feel plain ****** to be honest.

Cycling is great too and the health benefits are well documented - all the mentioned mental aspects plus physical/cardiovascular. On a nice sunny day though, it's very very hard to resist taking the one with the motor out instead...

Dude I FEEL SO ALIVE when i get to work riding. When i use go transit, i've usually napped so i come in groggy. And walk to work like a zombie.

I've also started cycling last year (before i tore my achilles) and just picked it up again this year, and i don't have the fitness yet to make it a breeze... but i can definitely see how it's gonna be beneficial in the long run. No need for a gym pass, increasing my vo2max, but as you said it's going to be difficult to choose bicycle over motorcycle.

Concerned with legalization of weed? I smell weed on the DVP all the time during the rush hour commute. Anyone else notice?

I am a little concerned about drivers driving while high as the new laws surrounding marijuana will embolden younger people to do so IMO. The new tech in cars doesn’t make drivers safer in many circumstances, it gives them more distractions and the increasing reliance on mobile devices and the instant communication generation bothers me too. In summary though...I won’t stop riding as I’ll just continue to assume every driver around me is capable of doing something dumb.

Concerned with legalization of weed? I smell weed on the DVP all the time during the rush hour commute. Anyone else notice?

Yup - usually at least once a week.

Last year, I was stuck for a while on the ramp from DVP to Gardiner due to an accident and some guy (50-60 years old) in a pickup truck in front of me decided to light one up and start blazing.

Idiotic to say in the least.

Legalization won't change that - the people that decide to drive intoxicated will do so regardless of whether it is legal or not.

I waited too long (since my teens...) and have way too nice a bike (two, really) now to give up riding because of some dumbasses. In all but the rarest of circumstances I feel like I've got control of my fate; head on a swivel, lots of mirror and head checks, eyeballing intersections, SMIDSY weaves as I approach left-turners, riding at reasonable speeds and lane placement etc.

I'd like to say instead of giving up riding we should be making life difficult for those on their phones or who make dangerous lane changes. Wear a camera (a little Sena Tube is big enough to notice but is not obtrusive) and point to it when drivers give you grief. Spell out license plates of offenders and offer your footage to police. I have no idea if they're interested but I figure this: If I was riding like a dick on the highway, weaving in and out, cops would gladly take someone's dashcam footage and pay me a visit. Shouldn't be any different for us submitting footage of people doing things that put us in harm's way.

Pie in the sky? Maybe, but I'd rather try that than give it up.

Agreed. The older I get, the more I want to do it, and the more bikes I ad to the collection. Also committing more to track, dirt & touring.

Agreed. The older I get, the more I want to do it, and the more bikes I ad to the collection. Also committing more to track, dirt & touring.

:thumbright:

with so many bikes, you could be like...

Picture%252520013.jpg

639032991_poun3-L.jpg

For those interested, There's a whole thread here

And also another thing i try to do, is go 'out of my way' to be courteous. ie. if you put your signal, i'm letting you in and giving you space (the opposite is also true, no signal, you no go) I'm hoping that it might maybe give us a better reputation on the road making cagers rage less at us, understanding that it's not all about ride of 6ix and wheelies and 'i know this guy who died riding' and maybe, just maybe, they will have a bigger tendency in the future to look at motorcycles like these people who let me in when i put my flasher on.

Oh absolutely! I default to letting drivers get where they want to be, unless they're driving like an arse, then I'm all up in my lane.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

not worried about legal recreational weed
only people it will change anything for is 40 and up
and they are for the most part dead set against impaired driving

riding is inherently a risky activity
but the trade off for how enjoyable it is makes it worthwhile

there are lot's of "dangers" out on the road but you can't ride scared, you will freeze up and not be able to focus on riding itself.

Back
Top Bottom