Anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ?

Im guessing my girl already knows Bike>>her in the hierarchy of priorities.

Am I wrong to enjoy riding in traffic? I've been riding 40+ years and I like to think, despite the deteriorating quality of general driver's skills, I'm pretty good at predicting what people are going to do, and can figure out which cars to avoid.

I find it challenges and stimulates me mentally; which is important for mental health and brain function as we age (I'm old!).

I read a study that showed British motorcycle couriers had far lower rates of Alzheimer's and dementia than the general public, the hypothesis was that the constant mental stimulation of riding in traffic kept their brain function at a higher level than the average person.

That’s very interesting. I’m old too, but I haven’t been riding nearly as long as you (I didn’t ride for 35 years, but started again 3 years ago). I know my reaction times are slower than they used to be, which troubles me. On the other hand, I am a little wiser and more cautious, and my riding skills are much better, I think. How did I ever survive riding in my 20’s, being so naive and ignorant of the dangers, and so low on skills?! Part of the answer, I think, is confidence. When you are young, you “just do it”, without any thought. When you are old, you think and worry a lot more, I find. I notice that I ride a lot better when I am feeling confident and “just do it”. I am finding that riding a motorcycle is as much about inner as outer skills. It takes a lot of focus and concentration, so if that wards off dementia, so much the better!

Guys

In light of the upcoming marijuana laws,
the increased use of cell phones and the resulting traffic crashes,
**** drivers all around,

is anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ?

I think about it every day. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse out there, we now have the impending triumvirate of alcohol, distracted driving (cell phones), and marijuana.

"...Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse out there, we now have the impending triumvirate of alcohol, distracted driving (cell phones), and marijuana."

Bring it on!
Add to this, the ever rising volume of vehicles clogging city streets, irrational and aggressive drivers, and the focus required to successfully navigate to/from work via motorcycle on a regular basis becomes an all-out physical and mental challenge. I've personally come to embrace it. Beats sitting in a car any day.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I bounce back and forth on this. I’m enjoying a topless cage for the time being but, two wheels continues to call my name. I’ll be back. As for when, I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fortunate to have ridden for a few decades without hitting the ground. At this point I could never give it up -- I enjoy motorcycles more each day.

Riding doesn't scare me one bit. If it scares you - quit (then PM me if you have an interesting bike to sell).

For those in the know, the rare turbo ragtop PT cruiser is the ultimate sleeper.

@nakkers: Just let my sticker expire, prepping to sell, so I know the feeling. At least you get a cool roadster out of the situation.

For those in the know, the rare turbo ragtop PT cruiser is the ultimate sleeper.

But its downfall is that its still a PT cruiser. Had one as a loaner once. Was humiliating driving it home.

@nakkers: Just let my sticker expire, prepping to sell, so I know the feeling. At least you get a cool roadster out of the situation.
Low 15 sec 1/4 for the hard top from what I can find and surely the rag top is slower... Sleeper in the traditional sense, Nah. Might make you sleepy tho

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

And also another thing i try to do, is go 'out of my way' to be courteous. ie. if you put your signal, i'm letting you in and giving you space (the opposite is also true, no signal, you no go) I'm hoping that it might maybe give us a better reputation on the road making cagers rage less at us, understanding that it's not all about ride of 6ix and wheelies and 'i know this guy who died riding' and maybe, just maybe, they will have a bigger tendency in the future to look at motorcycles like these people who let me in when i put my flasher on.

I do the same as you, and for the same reasons.

Last edited:
The only thing different after the legalization of weed will be a whole bunch of drivers going 15 under the limit and still stopped at traffic lights 5 seconds after the light has turned green...

They do that now - and I thought it was because they were looking at their cell phones!

Citing marijuana laws, increased cell phone use, and bad drivers as compelling reasons to stop riding is, I'm afraid, a ridiculously lame argument. Come on. Really. You can just as easily be killed walking down the the street like one of the 10 unlucky souls up at Yonge and Finch. Why let fear of such scenarios dictate your life?
Motorcycles are awesome and incredibly exhilarating machines. Riding is a visceral experience unlike anything else. Life is short. Just ride.

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I disagree; I don't think it is a lame argument, I think it is actually pretty logical. Riding a motorcycle has always been much more dangerous than driving a car. We who ride motorcycles know and accept that. Now, with the far greater number of cars on the roads, coupled with the hugely increased danger of those drivers using cell phones, and many being under the influence of marijuana, the danger to riders is greatly increased. I think the fact that the police will have no reliable means of testing for marijuana, as opposed to alcohol, will greatly increase the likelihood that people will be driving under the influence.

It comes down to risk, and how much you are willing to tolerate, and I think the risk is increasing. As far as your point that "you can just as easily be killed walking down the street", that is simply not true. While I don't have the numbers, I am certain that riding a motorcycle is statistically many orders of magnitude more likely to cause your death than walking down the street.

Last edited:
Low 15 sec 1/4 for the hard top from what I can find and surely the rag top is slower... Sleeper in the traditional sense, Nah. Might make you sleepy tho

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I left out the ;) but after some digging, a 5spd GT with stock turbo was capable of low 13s in the right hands. Not sure if it was a 2006+ which had the "high output" turbo/injectors, or if the Mopar stage 1 kit was applied. There were slips to prove it apparently, though I didn't see them--the forum posts seemed inaccessible. Another heavily modified one ran in the high 11s, which if true would be hilarious to see. A PT WOULD be a great sleeper though--an oddly styled Chrysler born in the late 90s with tepid specs and a slumped reputation.

I'm fortunate to have ridden for a few decades without hitting the ground. At this point I could never give it up -- I enjoy motorcycles more each day.

Riding doesn't scare me one bit. If it scares you - quit (then PM me if you have an interesting bike to sell).

I'm with this guy. I've ridden continuously on-road for 38 years and can't see myself giving up. Some years I ride a lot and others not nearly enough, but I see no reason to quit all together.

I've always viewed other road users as being unskilled, uninterested, distracted, reckless, careless, likely intoxicated, killer loogans (unless they prove me wrong), so my modus operandi is to stay away/out of their way. The only difference that I see is that now there's more of them.

油井緋色;2563505 said:
I damn well better be good enough to avoid getting into collisions from subpar drivers.

Here's the thing. Many riders think they are so skilled that they are immune to a left turner that comes out of nowhere or that oncoming car that suddenly veers into your lane or a mechanical malfunction that throws you off your bike into traffic.

I don't care how skilled you are, you're as susceptible to injury or death by motorcycling as most other riders are, whether you choose to believe that or not and once you start believing your are invincible, you are at even greater risk.

Here's the thing. Many riders think they are so skilled that they are immune to a left turner that comes out of nowhere or that oncoming car that suddenly veers into your lane or a mechanical malfunction that throws you off your bike into traffic.

I don't care how skilled you are, you're as susceptible to injury or death by motorcycling as most other riders are, whether you choose to believe that or not and once you start believing your are invincible, you are at even greater risk.

You are projecting.

I am not invincible. Death and risk of grave injury are factors. But if I stop believing in myself for a second on two wheels, my life is already forfeit. I can't speak for your experiences, but I can for mine: there have been moments mid corner where I stopped believing and ended up crashing. Same can be said for anything competitive whether it be video games to power lifting.

Here's the bottom line: we are on two wheels. We need to be better because if we are not, we will die. If a driver veers into my lane and I die, I deserve to die for not seeing it coming. If something on my bike goes boom causing me to get hit, that is 100% my fault for not doing my due diligence during maintenance.

Perhaps the popular attitude is to blame others: I will blame myself so I have the power to change the outcome. And if I die, it's still my fault for having this mentality.

油井緋色;2592479 said:
If a driver veers into my lane and I die, I deserve to die for not seeing it coming.

You can't control everything in your life. That certainly includes someone else's carelessness causing your own death. Riding a bike increases your exposure to the consequences of carelessness, whether it's yours or theirs

nope.
think you guys are on the wrong forum.
pt cruiser? ain't going to cut it.
when reading this thread, thought I was reading a script from saturday night live, Mr & Mrs whiner and friends.
there's always basket weaving- and its pretty safe (watch out for splinters !) ...lmao my bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom