Anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ?

zheka130

Guys

In light of the upcoming marijuana laws,
the increased use of cell phones and the resulting traffic crashes,
**** drivers all around,

is anyone having second thoughts regarding motorcycling in general ?

Guys

**** drivers all around,

Nope, never!

Guys

**** drivers all around,

I’ve significantly decreased my riding in the suburbs and sticking as much as possible to riding outside GTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. What do the upcoming marijuana laws have to do with anything? It's always been readily available.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I’ve significantly decreased my riding in the suburbs and sticking as much as possible to riding outside GTA.

More fatal motorcycle accidents happen in rural areas

Guys

**** drivers all around,

Short answer:
No

Long Answer:
Your post alludes to a mistake I've made in the past. At one point in my motorcycling life time, I mistakenly started hating every single driver on the road. What made matters worse was how obsessed I was (and still am) with improving my own abilities as a rider. The faster and more technical I became on track (and for the record, I started on highway ramps), the more angry I became.

Not only do we have drunk, high, and distracted drivers but we also, generally, have very incapable drivers AND RIDERS. This resulted in me breaking multiple mirrors when people came into my lane, and I was very ready to beat the ever living **** out of any driver if they ever made the mistake of ramming into me and I was somehow in one piece. I even wanted nothing to do with group rides.

After using the above attitude for around 3~ years, I pretty much hated riding (is anyone surprised? lol.) What got me back into enjoying it was changing my mindset greatly.

There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.

You know why we tend to blame others? Because it's easier to. But the only thing we have absolute control over is ourselves. So realistically, I had two choices:

1. Quit riding
2. Continue riding

I didn't want to quit, but I also didn't want to continue riding while blaming everyone for being horribad drivers (and they rightfully are compared to anyone that regularly takes advanced lessons.) So really, there was only one choice: I now take full responsibility for all of my actions.

Drunk driver? If he hits me, it's my fault for not noticing an intoxicated driver.

Some dickwad merging into my lane? Was I going too fast? Was I in the wrong spot? Well, I always ride with an escape route so worst case scenario I use the torque to get out.

Some jackass has a problem with me lane splitting? Well, it's illegal, people think it's rude, and I don't give a **** anymore; I gotta deal w/ the consequences if I go this route.

Bad (regular) drivers? Well, I've broken bones and dumped over $5000 into courses, trackdays and private lessons....so I damn well better be good enough to avoid getting into collisions from subpar drivers.

Give control back to yourself, or this is not a sport that will be enjoyable.

Last edited:
The only thing different after the legalization of weed will be a whole bunch of drivers going 15 under the limit and still stopped at traffic lights 5 seconds after the light has turned green...
that already happens a lot..numbers will increase though lol

that already happens a lot..numbers will increase though lol

I don't get how ppl can drive high...I can barely play video games while high and I usually zone out half way wtf

油井緋色;2563505 said:
Drunk driver? If he hits me, it's my fault for not noticing an intoxicated driver.

Some dickwad merging into my lane? Was I going too fast? I was I in the wrong spot? Well, I always ride with an escape route so worst case scenario I use the torque to get out.

Some jackass has a problem with me lane splitting? Well, it's illegal, people think it's rude, and I don't give a **** anymore; I gotta deal w/ the consequences if I go this route.

****** drivers? Well, I've broken bones and dumped over $5000 into courses, trackdays and private lessons....so I damn well better be good enough to avoid getting into collisions from ****** drivers.

Give control back to yourself, or this is not a sport that will be enjoyable.

While i agree with the mentality, something can't really be avoided timing wise. Experience and knowing what to look for and expect (head movement, car positioning, hand movement in car, etc) decreases a lot of the chances of being stuck in a less than ideal position. I do "agressive defensive" riding... i get out of blind spots as fast as i can, i try to be in control, and if i can, i try to be marginally faster than moving traffic (say 10kph) that way i've got less static time next to the same driver that might've not spotted me.

What you said, the quote comes down to this, life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of what you do with it. Bringing in all that negative energy to your riding was definitely not the best idea, so instead of focusing on it you try to make something out of it!

I see all these people doing stupid moves on the road, not wanting to share the road to save 1.5 seconds on their commute, stressing them for no reason. I just don't see the point.

Not really; I'm gonna keep riding. I feel like I can manage my risk fairly well when I'm out. The only thing I'm paranoid about is some bimbo uploading a selfie to instagram while driving and hitting me from behind while I'm stopped at a light... I do my best to keep an eye on traffic behind me when stopped, but it's not always possible to see everything and everyone.

The only thing different after the legalization of weed will be a whole bunch of drivers going 15 under the limit and still stopped at traffic lights 5 seconds after the light has turned green...
When the cop jump out of the bush, does that mean they will have a 15 sec delay?

#bestphotobombever
Not really; I'm gonna keep riding. I feel like I can manage my risk fairly well when I'm out. The only thing I'm paranoid about is some bimbo uploading a selfie to instagram while driving and hitting me from behind while I'm stopped at a light... I do my best to keep an eye on traffic behind me when stopped, but it's not always possible to see everything and everyone.

While i agree with the mentality, something can't really be avoided timing wise. Experience and knowing what to look for and expect (head movement, car positioning, hand movement in car, etc) decreases a lot of the chances of being stuck in a less than ideal position. I do "agressive defensive" riding... i get out of blind spots as fast as i can, i try to be in control, and if i can, i try to be marginally faster than moving traffic (say 10kph) that way i've got less static time next to the same driver that might've not spotted me.

What you said, the quote comes down to this, life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of what you do with it. Bringing in all that negative energy to your riding was definitely not the best idea, so instead of focusing on it you try to make something out of it!

I see all these people doing stupid moves on the road, not wanting to share the road to save 1.5 seconds on their commute, stressing them for no reason. I just don't see the point.

I totally agree with everything, especially the bold part.

My rationality to counter that has been: if we spent all day worrying about the things that negative things that might happen, we'd never experience the positive things that do happen.

And, since we all ride motorcycles, I'll assume we all have a fairly high risk tolerance!

My commute takes me through midtown and downtown. A lot of traffic and agitated drivers, especially on the commute home, but also a few key spots where I can sneak through on the bike where I wouldn't be able to in the car. Before I started riding, I would see those drivers do the random things that they do, and think to myself, "when I get a bike, I'll only ride on Saturday and Sunday mornings, or out of town, and avoid all this chaos". At the beginning, I did, and it was probably a good decision. I got more comfortable on the bike, more experience on the road, made some mistakes but in more relaxed circumstances and after a few months, I felt like I should start commuting. I remember the first few times riding home, the thing that surprised me the most was how much fatigue affected my riding after a long, hard day at work. It was less about the other drivers and more about my own mental and emotional ability to ride in an alert and aware state of mind. Of course, there are many drivers out there who are in a less focused state of mind after a long day at work too, but as others have suggested here, I think it starts with you. Some situations are unavoidable and we hope we never end up in those situations, but there is a great deal that you can control. Nowadays, I enjoy the commute home more than any other type of riding that I do. I somehow feel like I have accomplished something by getting home in one piece through all that madness...

Guys

**** drivers all around,

Not after enjoying the weather yesterday and today!

Back
Top Bottom