Leather jacket back pain | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leather jacket back pain

sburns

Hey all

Need your input!

I finally bought a leather jacket. But when I wear it my whole upper back shoulder get tire quickly and becomes achey.
I think it fits correctly, except all the weight is on the shoulders. Compared to my textile jacket which is much more roomy in the shoulders. The leather is only slightly heavier then the other jacket.

I never owned a leather jacket before I thought the sizing was correct didn't feel tight on the shoulders or not overall too bulky. Maybe I do need to move up a size?

I might be F-d on this as I wore it. I did buy it from GP-bikes and is still within return period.

Thoughts!

Last edited:
I only wear leather jackets and never has that issue.

only think I can think of is you bought one size too small, you should exchange it for one size up. If however you need your suits adjusted before wearing them after buying them then you need custom built leather jacket (may be you have wider shoulders etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The leather Jacket I got is tight at my shoulders, and still is, but the size up was too loose and the armour would move around. I ended up removing the shoulder pads/Armour and it was fine. I just got a textile jacket and it's way more 'loose' but more comfortable, its does have d30 rather than hard Armour though.

I will go back to the leather jacket and buy all d30 style Armour which may be thinner and more flexible, making it more comfortable, maybe you can try that?

The leather Jacket I got is tight at my shoulders, and still is, but the size up was too loose and the armour would move around. I ended up removing the shoulder pads/Armour and it was fine. I just got a textile jacket and it's way more 'loose' but more comfortable, its does have d30 rather than hard Armour though.

I will go back to the leather jacket and buy all d30 style Armour which may be thinner and more flexible, making it more comfortable, maybe you can try that?
Buys armour
Removes armour.
Smrt

Well I tried removing the back armor just to see if it would help with the weight or even the load on my upper back. Didn't seem much different.

I'll be going to GP Bikes tomorrow to see if they will exchange it and try on the size up.

Buys armour
Removes armour.
Smrt

A leather jacket with the armour removed still provides plenty of protection, just for the record....it’s not like removing it from a textile.

Which comes to my question Burns, does it have armour to begin with, and if so, does that feel like what’s digging into you or something?

And if not, it could indeed just be that it’s too small and it is causing muscle tension on your upper arms, shoulders, and upper back trying to maintain your arms in the riding position.

Buys armour
Removes armour.
Smrt

The jacket came with Armour, its a Dainese razon... Its just a stiff plastic/foam piece, I left the elbow pads in. I'm yet to buy any separate Armour, even my textile jacket came with d3o standard. The leather one reached the point I would rather ride without anything, so removing just shoulder made it much better, a compromise rather than riding sans jacket.

at OP, if you can exchange and try a larger size it's worth a try, or maybe another brand

Against Road Rash yes. It does actually a very good job. However any impacts will shatter whatever bone it was protecting.
A leather jacket with the armour removed still provides plenty of protection, just for the record....it’s not like removing it from a textile.

Which comes to my question Burns, does it have armour to begin with, and if so, does that feel like what’s digging into you or something?

And if not, it could indeed just be that it’s too small and it is causing muscle tension on your upper arms, shoulders, and upper back trying to maintain your arms in the riding position.

I remember when I switched from textile to leather there was an adjustment period. It is heavy compared to the textile one.

You’ve been out on some long rides wearing the new jacket...correct? Perhaps you need to cut back in the short-term until you get used to the weight, assuming the fit is okay.

P.S. What’s been going on at those peeler bar photo tags !?!?! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought there might be an adjustment period. I did go out for about 4-6 hours, which is when I new something wasn't quite right. I felt I really needed to take a break, stretch etc, which wasn't typical before.

The other slight problem.
I have a injured shoulder. Several dislocations of my left shoulder. I have a muscle tear on my left should blade. I am surprised riding doesn't bother it a lot, but the leather did aggravate it somehow. Why is nothing easy any more...:(

I've had same issue with leather....not always but sometimes. Need to try the jacket on and walk over to one of their bikes (similar to yours) and try wearing it while on the bike. Sport leather is meant to be snug....which may be an issue for some especially with the forward leaning position which causes both your scapula to separate....meaning tightness in your shoulders with the jacket on. Return it before you end up with a $$$ jacket which causes you discomfort. Being uncomfortable on the bike is extremely dangerously....honestly.

Sburns , I think it may be your shoulder/back issues more than the jacket itself

I know it would be somewhat tricky, surprising I don't have any issue with the textile jacket..

Oh well maybe I'll end up being one of those guys with just a T-shirt on then...;)

Didnt read your post right, gtam doesnt let you delete posts

I know it would be somewhat tricky, surprising I don't have any issue with the textile jacket..

Oh well maybe I'll end up being one of those guys with just a T-shirt on then...;)
Textile and Leathers have different design considerations. Textile jackets use woven fabrics that do not stretch, they have to be designed with room to move as the garment will not get 'bigger' as it wears in. Leather is a different animal, not only does it have some natural stretch, it stretches permanently over time.

Think of your new leather jacket like a new pair of skates -- wear them for a couple of weeks and they'll both fit you like a glove.

Ok I went and tried the size up. It was more roomy in the shoulders but too baggy in the arms and body, and basically it showed some wriggles because the leather didn't fit quite right. For now I kept the size I have. I have a couple of more weeks to decide. I will wear it at home while on the computer to see how that works.

I think my seating position on the bike might be off, causing this back issue. I have a ex cop Electra glide with the cop seat. It's position is higher then most so I have a lean into the bars. Funny enough while at GP I sat on a HD Electra Glide with the jacket and I immediately noticed the lower position.

If you are finding it just in the shoulder area there is a possibility that the armour is actually digging into and applying unwanted pressure on a few nerves in your shoulder which is causing compression. Since you found it more comfortable once they were removed. Sounds like a poor fitted jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Try taking your jacket with you to GP bikes the next time you are there are put some ICON D30 shoulder armor in the jacket. They are fairly thin and soft (harden on impact). I find it the most comfortable armor around, but I haven't crash tested it yet. The should armor should fit in any jacket.
This might free up some room and fit a bit better in that tight area. May or may not work, just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom