Dying White Leather Black | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dying White Leather Black

arogal

Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with dying their leathers a different colour. I understand that it's nearly impossible to dye dark leathers lighter (black to white), but I am thinking of dying my white Alpinestars jacket (GP Plus) black. I am not the type of person that "needs" to have gear that matches their bike. I'd never go out of my way and purchase new gear just to match as its a giant waste of money just to look cool, but I was thinking of taking an alternative route and dying it as it's very cost effective, but I'm not sure how well it works.
For any of you (if any) have dyed lighter colour leathers darker, what product did you use, and did it turn out well? Did the dye stay in place after a couple seasons and riding through rain?
For some reason, the white leather on my jacket is already brittle and isn't as soft as the black leather parts, so I'm not sure if dying it will make it more brittle and more prone to cracking or not :-?
It would be nice to have all black gear and this is a cheaper option, but if it's going to damage my jacket/not be permanent, I wont bother as it doesn't really bother me all too much.
Thank you :D

@Bickle Racing probably knows better than most. He repairs leather for lots of people so he should have a good idea whether dying is worthwhile or whether he just uses factory dyed stock.

I would be amazed if dying an assembled white jacket black didn't look like *****. You could always try a small area to see how it was looking. I think the larger the white areas the more likelihood that you will get strange mottling or colour variations.

Last edited:
It's not that hard to dye leather.

1) Clean with a scotch pad and acetone. You want the surface clean and dull, don't sand off the existing finish.
2) Paint leather dye on then work it into the leather with a soft cloth. Repeat until the color is deep and even.
3) Buff with beezwax or other leather conditioner.

You can also use acrylic spray paint instead of dye in step 2 & 3 (way easier, no buffing). When using spray, you will need to reapply every couple of years.

It most likely has an acrylic sealer coat (hence acetone scrub recommneded) , it's probably already brittle from a not great finish. It has a 98% possibility of looking awful.
Put the money you'd spend toward a new jacket.

I assume the stitching on your jacket is white. The stitching may not take the dye very well. I'd try dying the stitching first before you dive in.

But yes, remove the sealer coat or the dye will just sit on top.

Seal with Acrylic sealer instead of beeswax to prevent the dye from running. It's also easier to apply

Tandy Leather has everything you need. It's about $10 for a bottle of black dye and another $10 for Acrylic Resolene Sealer. Just remember to dilute the Resolene with 50% water or you'll end up with a very shiny jacket.

You can treat it with neatsfoot oil prior to sealing if it begins to feel brittle.

I'm about to re-dye a faded pair of gloves.

I make watch straps and have never had any issues with the dye fading when sealed properly

I assume the stitching on your jacket is white. The stitching may not take the dye very well. I'd try dying the stitching first before you dive in.

But yes, remove the sealer coat or the dye will just sit on top.

Seal with Acrylic sealer instead of beeswax to prevent the dye from running. It's also easier to apply

Tandy Leather has everything you need. It's about $10 for a bottle of black dye and another $10 for Acrylic Resolene Sealer. Just remember to dilute the Resolene with 50% water or you'll end up with a very shiny jacket.

You can treat it with neatsfoot oil prior to sealing if it begins to feel brittle.

I'm about to re-dye a faded pair of gloves.

I make watch straps and have never had any issues with the dye fading when sealed properly

This is very useful information! Tandy leather is literally 5 minutes from my work...I might go check it out and ask them some questions.
I'm having 2nd thoughts as it might not be a good idea to potentially fu** up a really nice $600 jacket just to change the colour LOL!

For sale or personal use? Pics?

Just personal use. I can't sell them because the price would be pretty absurd if I charged based on the time spent since it's all done by hand.

Pics? Ok buddy, you asked for it

APSZniZ.jpg

9hJP2qj.jpg

98HFz6E.jpg

aGoFyIo.jpg

SazsnJ4.jpg

yg8jDEh.jpg

And a knife sheath
RTpa3wb.jpg

P6B4zrV.jpg

@i-WERKS thanks. Nice work. Did you buy the deployment clasp separately or steal it from another band? What is the non-Panerai watch?

OP, sorry for muddying up your thread.

@i-WERKS thanks. Nice work. Did you buy the deployment clasp separately or steal it from another band? What is the non-Panerai watch?

OP, sorry for muddying up your thread.

Thanks!. I bought the deployment buckle separately but I regularly just harvest the buckles from other straps.

The other watch is a Longines Legend Diver.

"Just personal use. I can't sell them because the price would be pretty absurd if I charged based on the time spent since it's all done by hand."
There are people who will pay for quality. Very nice work

"Just personal use. I can't sell them because the price would be pretty absurd if I charged based on the time spent since it's all done by hand."

Especially the paneristi. I wouldn't do kijiji, but an etsy store may be viable.

I have dyed brown to black. I used this Fiebing guide. The difficult part, for me, was to remove the top protective coat. I needed a couple of bottles of Fiebing deglazer. All these chemicals you can buy at Tandy Leather, but as well at National Shoe (Kennedy/n of Finch). It is not a difficult process but does take time. As with all dyes, wear gloves.

Redyeing does not seem to go logically, and there may be some intermediate colours. I do recall some white leather going green first before going black. After you'll need to reapply the top coat.

It is not that difficult but does take time. The chemicals such as the deglazer, are stinky and possibly toxic.

Thanks!. There are many infamous strap makers in the watch crowd that do quality work for somewhat reasonable prices. Many have already established a name for themselves. The market is very saturated which is another reason for not venturing into this business.

Rick CH - Hey, watches are meant to be worn. I don't get any enjoyment out of them when they're sitting in a safe.

Back
Top Bottom