CBC - Motorcyclist lucky to be alive after semi runs red, hits him | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC - Motorcyclist lucky to be alive after semi runs red, hits him

I'm thinking if most of our intersections had roundabouts like in Europe, this would be less of an issue. With a roundabout, you need to be paying more attention. T-bone crashes are rare.

Roundabouts are responsible for a lot more accidents.But they are usually just fenders between cars.They are still potentially lethal for bikes.https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/08/04/the-roundabout-way-to-control-road-traffic.html I have had 3 close calls this year with cars not yielding when entering.

Should both of them give up their licenses/endorsements?

That's an interesting concept that I have though about before (mainly with respect to commercial drivers). If they have chosen to do something entirely preventable that resulted in an injury, why not make them start again? This increases the pain of poor decisions and gives the system another chance to ensure that endorsements are only given to competent operators.

Truck Driver is a pure idiot, and should not be on the roads anymore after this. Rider...i'm sorry...but you could have avoided this completely. Needs to learn the basics of crossing an intersection. I don't care if I have right of way...i'm still checking to see if it's clear before I enter an intersection. Especially one that I just saw 4 or 5 trucks just zoom through, one after the other?!!! Glad Rider was able to walk away...but hopefully he learned his lesson here.

To be fair, its in Manitoba, I hear the only way you crash there is if you fall asleep during the straights.

I'm thinking if most of our intersections had roundabouts like in Europe, this would be less of an issue. With a roundabout, you need to be paying more attention. T-bone crashes are rare.

this, in theory, should be a good solution

but when people can't figure who has the right away when cars are stationary
forcing them to do it while moving is a bad deal

how often are you in the circle and have to brake for someone barging their way in?
granted the speeds are lower so the impact is not often fatal though

people in the UK are born to understand the roundabout
NA folks struggle with them mightily

Years ago in the east end of Ottawa they put in a 3 lane roundabout on a very busy road in Orleans. That thing had huge signs with instructions on it leading up to the roundabout to get people in the correct lane etc but there was mass confusion. I didn't mind it as I'm used to roundabouts (google "magic roundabout road" to see an example) but watching the panic on people's faces wasn't amusing. When people are savvy they work very well....when they aren't there's carnage. The Champs D'Elysees in Paris has the Arch de Triomphe at one end and I used to get a lift round there all the time and that was manic...no road rules. When I asked my French friend how he tackled it he replied "I look for a gap when I'm a few seconds away and accelerate into it".

There's a roundabout in the west end on Windermere Ave. in Swansea.

Over the years I've seen a few people enter it going clockwise instead of anticlockwise.

Also, since it's narrow and most people enter and exit at the same two points on and on, some people jump the gun trying to get in.
That's where my last accident occurred when someone T-boned me as I was going past.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...e89f3a877d6994!8m2!3d43.6439713!4d-79.4779907

When people are savvy they work very well....when they aren't there's carnage.

Yup... that's the ticket... :headbang:

On a trip to Bawston Mass, I noticed many cars with dings/dents in the doors... thought it odd that so many cars have door damage. Then saw the Roundabouts... the bulb lit up... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom