CBC - Motorcyclist lucky to be alive after semi runs red, hits him | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC - Motorcyclist lucky to be alive after semi runs red, hits him

Texting/phoning trucker ("professional driver") almost kills biker, is fined $406.

I still strongly suspect this is what killed all those people in Humboldt. Here we have it on video.

When is society going to decide to take the licenses from and punitively fine those who consciously choose to put others' lives at risk like this?

Texting/phoning trucker ("professional driver") almost kills biker, is fined $406.

I still strongly suspect this is what killed all those people in Humboldt. Here we have it on video.

When is society going to decide to take the licenses from and punitively fine those who consciously choose to put others' lives at risk like this?
When everyone in society stops doing it themselves!

I agree with hammering the trucker but the rider should have checked for traffic. All a green light means is that the bulb is working.

Fortunately this video gives a non fatal view of the problem.

/\/\/\/\/\

This.

Light turns green; look right, left, then proceed when safe. Not trying to blame the victim, but this this one was very easily avoidable

It's not just truck drivers. I normally drive weekdays for around a half hour, and I see at least one person run a red light, every single day.
That's not to mention stop signs. Usually, it's just someone turning right on red, who doesn't see any traffic, but even that can be devastating if they hit a motorcyclist.

I drive as if I'm the second worst driver on the road. That means that I need to keep distractions to a minimum, and I need to quickly correct my many mistakes. Unfortunately, all you other clowns are tied for first, so I have to constantly scan and correct for your mistakes.

The motorcyclist doesn't appear to have been paying attention in this case.

If you're in a big sturdy vehicle with a good safety rating, you might come within twelve feet of the red light runner, just so they have a chance to figure out that they messed up, but not on a bike.

There have always been good truckers and bad truckers. Why do you think they called them trucker bennies.
In any case, the roads are more crowded now, so that's going to exacerbate the situation.

None of this of course, rids the trucker of the requirement to drive responsibly, and it is the trucker's mistake that caused the crushed bike.

You might get ****** off at having to constantly correct for other's mistakes, but it's better than you or your loved ones waiting for the insurance to come through.

/\/\/\/\/\

This.

Light turns green; look right, left, then proceed when safe. Not trying to blame the victim, but this this one was very easily avoidable
There should be a mirror check first, but you can do that slightly before the light turns green; then another mirror check when you’re through the intersection.

And this is why we wear helmets, the guy would have been dead instantly without one in this case.

And this is why we wear helmets, the guy would have been dead instantly without one in this case.

+1. And a full-face one at that. Had he been wearing a beanie or a cheesy open-face things would have gone much worse for him.

Last edited:
'The fine for distracted driving in this case was $203, the other $203 was for running a red light.

Selby said being on a cellphone while driving is dangerous for anyone, let alone a semi, which can weigh more than 63 tonnes.

"Drunk driving, nobody messes around. Well this is just as bad."

A 400$ fine for almost killing someone... LWTF??? Distracted driving maims/kills 'More' people than that of driving under the influence. The consequences for distracted driving should be 'at least' the same as that of impared driving. The penalty has to be severe enough before peeps will take notice.

Last edited:

Well said!

The criminal codes definition of attempted murder:

"[FONT=&quot]Every person who attempts by any means to commit murder is guilty of an indictable offence and liable"

I wonder if driving an 18 wheeler while texting and running a red light falls under "by any means"

That certainly looked like an attempt to murder. Guy just got lucky, and walked away.

[/FONT]
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-239.html

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I'm thinking if most of our intersections had roundabouts like in Europe, this would be less of an issue. With a roundabout, you need to be paying more attention. T-bone crashes are rare.

I'm thinking if most of our intersections had roundabouts like in Europe, this would be less of an issue.

Roundabouts??? Mississauga/Brampton??? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Last year I was behind a semi driver, no trailer, so I could easily see in his rear window. Saw him reach over to the passenger side of the cab. He picked up his mobile device (could clearly see it through the rear window) and started to use it... still driving, albeit... going slowly (we had just pulled out of a fuel station). I blasted my horn at him... he was quite startled... he then glanced through his rear-view mirror and I shook my finger at him... he immediately put the mobile down... These guys are supposed to be 'Professional Drivers'???

We need much stiffer penalties for Distracted Driving... NOW!!!

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes the truck ran a red light, and didn't even appear to slow down.

But at the same time, the motorcyclist rode into an 18 wheeler that wasn't slowing down.

Everyone else on the road remained stopped and waited for the truck to clear.

If you're riding into an 18 wheeler or it's path, something is wrong, either you're distracted, or your judgement is way off.

It didn't look like anything behind him was going to hit him, so I'm not sure why he went without looking first.

Since the trucker didn't take a deliberate run at the biker, attempted murder would be out, but negligence or careless, or dangerous should be a possibility.

Then again, perhaps the biker could be charged with distracted or careless as well.

Should both of them give up their licenses/endorsements?

Back
Top Bottom