near miss | GTAMotorcycle.com

near miss

This is why I always check cross traffic is actually stopping before blindly driving/riding into an intersection.

It seems the guy in the motorcycle was the only person who didn’t, as everybody else is sitting still when the light turns green.

Not victim blaming, just making an observation - reality is red light running is a big thing.

That's not a near miss. It was a hit. The truck totaled the bike and the rider had injuries, even if minor. The truck driver should be charged with a more severe punishment. It doesn't exist, but one causing injury should escalate up.

I don't even know where to begin.

Obviously rider could have/should have seen that coming before entering.

The rider did a good job keeping it upright and staying on the brakes until impact though which probably saved their life.

$406 fine for transport driver for distracted+running a red? As much as I hate HTA 172, if there is clear evidence of you running a red and causing a collision, I have no problems with a months long license suspension. Hell I would love to strip the AZ as they were willfully negligent and make them start training again.

I don't even know where to begin.

Obviously rider could have/should have seen that coming before entering.

The rider did a good job keeping it upright and staying on the brakes until impact though which probably saved their life.

$406 fine for transport driver for distracted+running a red? As much as I hate HTA 172, if there is clear evidence of you running a red and causing a collision, I have no problems with a months long license suspension. Hell I would love to strip the AZ as they were willfully negligent and make them start training again.

Not sure how HTA172 relates to your statement (License suspension?) as cops don't need clear evidence to hit you with thousands of dollars in fines + suspension while not necessarily endangering anyone at all (ie. Filtering at a red light).

Not sure how HTA172 relates to your statement (License suspension?) as cops don't need clear evidence to hit you with thousands of dollars in fines + suspension while not necessarily endangering anyone at all (ie. Filtering at a red light).

Something along the lines of if the investigating officer watched that video that clearly shows you doing something very dangerous and causing a wreck they should be able to yank your license at the side of the road. That suspension would likely be ~ 7 days, then leave a long suspension to the courts.

It's hard to imagine how the justice system failed to convict that truck driver of at least careless (preferably dangerous) driving. There were lots of witnesses (and obviously a video but they may not have had that). A dangerous driving conviction should be enough to keep that driver out of a truck for a very long time.

Doesn't crossing with the green mean we get an impenetrable cloak around us, and with a red light it means we get targeted with explosive projectiles? I guess someone needs to explain laws to me better.

It still dumbfounds me that distracted driving has no harsh penalties. It's proven to be more deadly than impaired driving and has eclipsed impaired driving for accidents and deaths.

Call 911 when you see s drunk get into his car at a bar and there will be 4 cruisers staking out his route home. Call 911 when you see some idiot texting and weaving and you'll get a polite reminder that 911 is for emergencies only.

I guess the days of professional truck drivers are over. Seeing more and more of this these days.

Going to guess his career driving trucks(or anything for that matter) is over now

I guess the days of professional truck drivers are over. Seeing more and more of this these days.

Going to guess his career driving trucks(or anything for that matter) is over now

Iceman said that he would be immediately fired from his truck driving job if he caught a distracted ticket in his personal vehicle.

I would hope that any company seeing the tickets on this drivers record would tell them to look elsewhere. For @PrivatePilot or others that may know, would this just be a company internal policy or is it dictated by their insurance carrier, customer agreements or licensing requirements?

@bigpoppa: No kidding, watched a TTC Bus pull out and cut off an *ambulance* with it's *lights* flashing a few days ago. I had difficulty believing my own eyes. Speaking of eyes, that rider should have his checked if he couldn't tell that truck wasn't going to stop. Those things carry momentum, right or wrong.

@bigpoppa: No kidding, watched a TTC Bus pull out and cut off an *ambulance* with it's *lights* flashing a few days ago. I had difficulty believing my own eyes. Speaking of eyes, that rider should have his checked if he couldn't tell that truck wasn't going to stop. Those things carry momentum, right or wrong.

Many TTC bus drivers seem to have the wrong interpretation of the law. I am not sure if they were trained to think the law was different than it actually is, or if they are just hammered for being late. Either way, it is a management problem.

Most Toronto bus drivers only use part one of the law
"142.1 (1) Every driver of a vehicle in the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay shall yield the right of way to the driver of a bus who has indicated his or her intention, as prescribed, to re-enter that lane from the bus bay. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12)."
and completely ignore section 3
"No driver of a bus shall re-enter the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay and move into the path of a vehicle or street car if the vehicle or street car is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield the right of way. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12)."

remember this past winter several truck drivers causing major accidents/deaths on the roads. (that big explosion outside barrie for instance)

OPP charged a few

I used to think these guys are professional drivers, trained and more sensible than the average chump on the road and in the past their driving seemed to backed that up

but as of late they seem to be just as bad. Remember having a close call on the 401 west with a driver who was aggressively changing lanes (his truck was carrying those shipping containers from china)
but none of his rear blinkers seemed to be working...

Last edited:
Iceman said that he would be immediately fired from his truck driving job if he caught a distracted ticket in his personal vehicle.

I would hope that any company seeing the tickets on this drivers record would tell them to look elsewhere. For @PrivatePilot or others that may know, would this just be a company internal policy or is it dictated by their insurance carrier, customer agreements or licensing requirements?
The company I work for pulls all drivers abstracts twice a year. If you have even a minor speeding ticket in your personal vehicle you're called in and warned.
This is company policy, but they also self-insure more or less.
They also sent us all to a virtual "driving school" last winter and it was mandatory.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

remember this past winter several truck drivers causing major accidents/deaths on the roads. (that big explosion outside barrie for instance)

OPP charged a few

I used to think these guys are professional drivers, trained and more sensible than the average chump on the road and in the past their driving seemed to backed that up

but as of late they seem to be just as bad. Remember having a close call on the 401 west with a driver who was aggressively changing lanes (his truck was carrying those shipping containers from china)
but none of his rear blinkers seemed to be working...

I used to work at a place where I dealt with truck drivers on a daily basis. I can tell you from talking with them and seeing them operate their tractor trailers that they are no way in hell professional drivers, the old ones that won't retire are a dying breed, the new drivers are mostly immigrant workers that can't drive for ****

I am required to report any and all driving infractions immediately, even in my personal vehicles. Failure to do so is grounds for dismissal.

Back
Top Bottom