Fury, Crossbones or Thunderbird Storm | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fury, Crossbones or Thunderbird Storm

Lol at the guy that said the Fury is out of fashion,who cares if choppers are not the fad right now.

My votes for the Fury.I've never owned one but I almost bought one last year for all the reasons the op has already mentioned.

Thanks for the input Nakkers,

I looked into the cam tensioners more closely seems like its something I can handle if needed, as it's pretty accessible, and straight forward.

The only thing about the Bones that is making me double doubt is the extra costs of maintenance or break downs, and not wanting to have a garage queen, I want to ride my bike hard and be reliable with just your yearly maintenance and upkeep.

Is this something Hogs are good with? Are they meant to be ridden hard and barely washed just with your minimum yearly maintenance? The reason I ask is most Hogs I see are shiny looking like they never see rain or salt, pampered at the HD Spa, I really don't want a bike like that. I believe bikes should not out last you, they should be ridden hard, after a commute in the rain you just park her and let her dry on her own and ride out the next day.

On my VTX I did all the work myself from installing a Cobra exhaust, dual LED headlight, to the back rest that was not made for it but bolted it on none the less and made it work, recently took the colour off and have a clear top coat so riding her bare metal. I rode her to NYC 2 years ago and had a blast and no worry about her giving up on me. That is one thing I want is the confidence in the bike that any given day I can jump on her and ride her out of the country with-out a second thought. Too bad I can't post any pics here cause it keeps giving my size limit errors, but think of a Rat Rod...that's my VTX.

Veej,

I bought my first Harley in a quest for a Triumph Bonneville and found the Harley was cheaper.

Here is the last I’ll say. Yes, HDs will run trouble free for miles with regular maintenance. I personally know many owners and riders of soft tails and one good friend has well over 100k miles with himself and wife on the back and has no plans to sell it. Rides from south USA all over the country and Canada. He also owns an Indian with a side car and a host of other machines.

Fluids, tires, and any regular wear items are about it.

It is air cooled and I’d recommend an oil cooler.

You can ride in confidence that there is a huge riders group of various makes include the soft tail line that run around the country with smiles on their faces.

I’ve got a 99 Buell and my 08 Sportster that has never left me stranded. I ride the Sportster more often simply because my spouse likes to join me and doesn’t like the Buell.

In the circle of riders, all makes have some issue. Honda included.

If you are still concerned, get the Fury. It’s a nice bike.

Other than a damp micro fibre cloth, my bikes are rarely washed. I ride them.

Stop by a HD dealership during the weekend and I’m willing to bet there will be some bikes with serious miles on them and the owners will be happy to tell you about how good they are or if there was any problems etc.

Another friend of mine with a touring machine from 07 and still rides daily, had the exhaust flange rust out. I’m not sure how many miles he’s got but, it’s a lot. But, nothing motor wise.

I asked him about the cam tensioner issue. He inspects his and says no issue.

I think it’s all about perspective. HD is the largest number of cruisers in the market and will naturally reflect with the number of issues reported.

I did have to replace the rocker head gaskets on my Sportster. Factory they are paper and weep oil after a few years.

I did the job myself in the laneway will a cold one, and after a couple of seasons, no issue since.

So, it hasn’t been 100% just oil and gas and rubber. I did have a repair. I wasn’t mission critical. It was cosmetic.

They are easy to work on and have no problem with doing basic things if needed.

That’s all I can say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks once again Nakkers, You have definately shed some much needed light on this for me for sure, as I don't personally know anyone with a Harley and the ones I see on the street look super shiny like queens. I once bought a 98 BMW R1200C, it was laden with issues creeping up now and then and it left me not wanting bikes that need constant attention and care. I may bite the bullet and find one if the the price is right.

Just one more thing, here is another one on Kijiji the guy wants $16000 what do you think between the previous one (also link below) although my budget is not that much and this guy said his price is firm when I contacted him, shall I look for something with clicks in this range? So 13000 km vs 60,000 km

$12,500
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...es/1340580967?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$16,000
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...ly/1351218754?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
Lol at the guy that said the Fury is out of fashion,who cares if choppers are not the fad right now.

My votes for the Fury.I've never owned one but I almost bought one last year for all the reasons the op has already mentioned.

I know, I also first thought the Fury was an out dated chopper, but it slowly grew on me, and I love the one with red frame and black tank or white. As mentioned you can't kill a Honda....is my number one reason for this.

If I could only get the HD look with the Honda Bullet Proof Build...Now that's my dream bike.

They've been building motorcycles for 115 years. Survived when everyone else was dying off. I've only heard anything bad from people who've never owned and in most case never ridden one. The only negative thing I hear from owners, is the cost of anything with an HD logo on it, and insurance is usually higher than the metric equivalent(mainly because of the difference value).

Resale holds MUCH better than any metric. For example, if I were to sell my Shadow today, which was 9,299 out of the crate last year without any of the farkles, I'd be lucky to take atleast a 40% bath on it. You'll never see that kind of drop on a Harley(I just checked kijiji). A friend of mine got a new old stock Shadow for $6k last year, it was a 2014, came with the same warranty as new, still in the crate when he bought it.

I'll add that on top of the superior resale value and the durability of a well-maintained bike, HD (AFAIK), is the only motor vehicle manufacturer that has a factory engine rebuild program. Your engine wears out? Send it back to the actual factory where it was made for a rebuild.

Ya, it's expensive, but what other manufacturer does that? It just gives peace of mind and confirms that people love their HD's and they can run for a long, long time. Mine's a keeper.

Part of the appeal to a Harley is they are easy to work on. Simple to take apart and do stuff. Plus there are tons of people out there doing this and showing how to they did it. This is just my impression so far, I could be totally wrong. I've tinkered a bit with mine and it was pretty straight forward.

Just one more thing, here is another one on Kijiji the guy wants $16000 what do you think between the previous one (also link below) although my budget is not that much and this guy said his price is firm when I contacted him, shall I look for something with clicks in this range? So 13000 km vs 60,000 km

$12,500
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...es/1340580967?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$16,000
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...ly/1351218754?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The $16k ad looks like a mechanic/shop and the handlebars are different in one photo. Not sure what's going on there... I'd go look at the $12k bike first.

I'm not really a fan of the fat-tire look... Here's a 95 springer for $7,500. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...er/1350502488?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
If I’m spending someone else’s money, I’d still be eyeing the Triumph.

I’ve got a soft spot for them. The Storm is a nice machine. Great power, great brakes, decent suspension for its size. Can do 2up if needed. Sounds good.

You don’t have to make excuses for it not being a Harley. It’s respected universally from the HD crowd as much as anyone else.

It’s different. There isn’t a lot out there. And it’s liquid cooled.

The seating position and about what most in the segment would be.

I think you’d just have to budget for replacing the rubber more than you care to. But it would be worth it IMO.

The Fury? It’s ok. It’s different. It’s a Honda. And that isn’t a bad thing. I just think for a cruiser, it’s not one of their better offerings.

Just like anything, it’s an opinion and everyone has one.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm all the way, harley a close second. The fury I wouldn't ride if you offered it for free. I don't like the fury at all for two reasons, it handles terribly for what I want in a bike and it's a "custom" bike that anyone can buy. It's not custom at all, it's just Honda jumping on the chopper craze which is past.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Storm all the way, harley a close second. The fury I wouldn't ride if you offered it for free. I don't like the fury at all for two reasons, it handles terribly for what I want in a bike and it's a "custom" bike that anyone can buy. It's not custom at all, it's just Honda jumping on the chopper craze which is past.

Hi Iceman, have you tried the Fury? and the others, I've tried the Storm and Crossbones, years ago on a Demo day, The Storm had an insane amount of Torque, the Cross, not so much and I didn't get to push it as it was group ride demo. The Storm I was able to take on it's own on the highway and it felt like it could rip your arms out.

Honestly the only one I have ridden was the storm. Really liked that bike. Personally I just have no interest in the fury, it does absolutely nothing for me.

I know, I also first thought the Fury was an out dated chopper, but it slowly grew on me, and I love the one with red frame and black tank or white. As mentioned you can't kill a Honda....is my
number one reason for this.

If I could only get the HD look with the Honda Bullet Proof Build...Now that's my dream bike.

Agreed ,the HD look with Honda quality would be ideal.
Their is a decent aftermarket to "accessorize" the fury though if you want to go that route,just a thought.

I've never owned a Honda ,Harley or trumpet moto so no bias here ,owned a few Honda auto's though.

Agreed ,the HD look with Honda quality would be ideal.

Exactly why I bought the Shadow. It is a bit under powered though. Going to try the 114 Breakout next weekend at HD demo.

DbvluiZV4AAyy1o.jpg

view

Exactly why I bought the Shadow. It is a bit under powered though. Going to try the 114 Breakout next weekend at HD demo.

DbvluiZV4AAyy1o.jpg

view

Breakout all the way ! Only new HD I would buy right now .

So a few updates.

I'm leaning towards the HD Bones now for the 2 following reasons.

1) Never owned anything other than a Metric, except for a 1998 BMW R1200C briefly a few years ago and sold it due to issues that kept coming up and got tired of wrenching on it.

2) This left the decision between the Triumph and HD, saw that the HD keep there value much more than the Brit, plus the look of the Bones is more radical and retro than the Storm. Minus the dual headlights the storm looks close to the VTX 1800 or some of the other metric cousins in the 1800 cc range. But yes the Storm is beautiful and does stand out from the metrics to those who know cruisers.

About the Bones:

So I saw Bike #1 yesterday

Specs:

2008 HD Crossbones
$12,500 - Owner Firm on $12,000
Mileage: Close to 60,000 KM
Has $900 value HD saddle bags which look really nice and rear seat and sissy bar
Beautiful bike has all the accessories I want and pipes I want, looks like it has been cared for and in top condition the seller is firm on $12000 minimum.

Bike #2

Specs:

2009 HD Crossbones
$16,000 will seller will take $15,000
Mileage: Close to 13,500 KM

Bike has the following upgrades the Bike #1 does NOT have

1. After market Stage 1 breather, with bike tuned by HD after install which is necessary as the intake & injection variables change.
2. LED headlites- the single retro headlight has an angle eye LED oval in it which is fancy and cool (not necessary for me but its there)
3. Custom Fender that goes lower than stock and does look nice
4. Custom seat-looks decent
5. After market Mini Apes that are 4 inches longer with the riser- Not a concern or deal breaker for me.
6. ABS

Does NOT have HD leather saddle bags or rear seat and sissy bar.

From pics I have seen this bike looks like a garage queen with low KM and mint polished and waxed - which is a plus.

It looks very very well looked after, seems as it was used strictly for pleasure on nice July week-ends, not even a back seat. Riding Downtown Yorkville on hot July Saturday nights bike Meet, kinda bike.

My thoughts:

Bike #1 would be something I would pounce on had he had less KM as it looks perfect with exactly what I want but the high KM is the only negative. I usually put over 10,000 KM on my bike a year just on commuting to work, I'm not including road trips and/or week-end rides, so in a few years I could be into 100,000 KM range.

I'm leaning towards paying the extra $3000 for the bike #2 due to the KM which is like 13,200 KM which is 46,000 KM less than bike #1. Plus it is one year newer- a 2009 model with ABS vs 2008 NO ABS.

Any thoughts/comments

Last edited:
So a few updates.

I'm leaning towards the HD Bones now for the 2 following reasons.

1) Never owned anything other than a Metric, except for a 1998 BMW R1200C briefly a few years ago and sold it due to issues with coming up and got tired of wrenching on it.

2) This left the decision between the Triumph and HD, saw that the HD keep there value much more than the Brit, plus the look of the Bones is more radical and retro than the Storm. Minus the dual headlights the storm looks close to the VTX 1800 or some of the other metric cousins in the 1800 cc range. But yes the Storm is beautiful and does stand out from the metrics to those who know cruisers.

About the Bones:

So I saw Bike #1 yesterday

Specs:

2008 HD Crossbones
$12,500 - Owner Firm on $12,000
Mileage: Close to 60,000 KM
Has $900 value HD saddle bags which look really nice and rear seat and sissy bar
Beautiful bike has all the accessories I want and pipes I want, looks like it has been cared for and in top condition the seller is firm on $12000 minimum.

Bike #2

Specs:

2009 HD Crossbones
$16,000 will seller will take $15,000
Mileage: Close to 13,500 KM

Bike has the following upgrades the Bike #1 does NOT have

1. After market Stage 1 breather, with bike tuned by HD after install which is necessary as the intake & injection variables change.
2. LED headlites- the single retro headlight has an angle eye LED oval in it which is fancy and cool (not necessary for me but its there)
3. Custom Fender that goes lower than stock and does look nice
4. Custom seat-looks decent
5. After market Mini Apes that are 4 inches longer with the riser- Not a concern or deal breaker for me.
6. ABS

Does NOT have HD leather saddle bags or rear seat and sissy bar, it seems as the this bike from pics I have seen is a garage queen coming from the low KM and how mint it looks in the pics, which is a plus, as it looks very very well looked after.

My thoughts:

Bike #1 would be something I would pounce on had he had less KM as it looks perfect with exactly what I want but the high KM is the only negative. I usually put over 10,000 KM on my bike a year just on commuting to work, not taking if I took road trip and week-end rides, so in a few years I could be into 100,000 KM range.

I'm leaning towards paying the extra $3000 for the bike #2 due to the KM which is like 13,200 KM which is 46,000 KM less than bike #1. Plus it is one year new a 2009 model with ABS vs 2008 NO ABS.

Any thoughts/comments
Personally I'd do the same. You can buy any accessory you want later, you can't buy less kilometers later.

Agree with your analysis Veej. I would pick bike two. Expect to spend some more on things like tires and fluid flushes to get bike 2 up to speed. I wouldn't argue too much if someone picked bike 1 though, there are some definite upsides to a bike that has been used.

I would also be very close to agreeing with number 2. Jealous, I've always wanted a Harley. Been very tempted to get one, maybe next year or see if there's any late season clearouts(haha yeah right).

Indian Scout. Way more power, better handling, looks better (so many variations just pick the one you like) and get one near new for $15k or less.

Picking from your list I'd go Storm. I love springers but I dislike the xbones and the 96 is a dog. Yes the cam chain is still an issue. If it goes bad it's big money (swapping it to a gear drive is $1300ish as well). Have fun doing 3 separate oil changes btw. Yes I ride with a lot of HD's. Other than the CC issue reliability is good as long as maintenance s kept up.
I never liked the Fury but kudos to Honda for at least trying.

Back
Top Bottom