Fury, Crossbones or Thunderbird Storm | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fury, Crossbones or Thunderbird Storm

Did you sit on either one or ride them?

I’m not sure I’d like the mini Apes. And I saw the pic with the aftermarket fender. Not a fan.

However, the LED headlight could be worth while. Depends if it’s a cheap after market for looks or a decent upgrade.

The newer and less miles may need tires or drive belt. Where the one with higher mileage could have recently been replaced?

Go with the one that speaks to you.

Oh! The dealer installed fuel map may still be lean.

With either bike, I’d look at installing power commander you can use with preprogrammed settings or dialling it in yourself. Pipes are pretty much a given on most Harley’s. The A/C is the next logical replacement with the tuner.

Sometimes you get lucky on eBay or a friend and can pick them up. But, worth the price anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indian Scout. Way more power, better handling, looks better (so many variations just pick the one you like) and get one near new for $15k or less.

Picking from your list I'd go Storm. I love springers but I dislike the xbones and the 96 is a dog. Yes the cam chain is still an issue. If it goes bad it's big money (swapping it to a gear drive is $1300ish as well). Have fun doing 3 separate oil changes btw. Yes I ride with a lot of HD's. Other than the CC issue reliability is good as long as maintenance s kept up.
I never liked the Fury but kudos to Honda for at least trying.

Not a big fan of the look of the Scout, If I could I would get the Indian Chief Dark Horse,,, Now that is a mean looking bike...but can't find many in that price range here, I do see one currently in asking $15,000, with only 10,000 KM but the guy is in BC.... kinda tempting....Damn it you through a wrench in my thought process......now ;)

Perhaps if I wait and look out hard I may find a Dark Horse here in my price range locally.... any experience with this model anyone?

Here is the ad: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...le/1350816714?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
Did you sit on either one or ride them?

Pipes are pretty much a given on most Harley’s. The A/C is the next logical replacement with the tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep did sit on the one from Barrie and the guy was against giving it out to test ride, so he said I can second up with him and we did, the ride was good some local and bit highway.

Both have Vance & Hines Pipes on it, what do you mean by A/C and Tuner?

The last pic of the low mile bike looks ALMOST exactly like my work buddy's harley, with the solo seat and the same bars, except he has hard bags on it. It looks pretty awesome with the hard bags, and I always feel like he looks cooler than me when we meet up at hortons on the way to work lmao. Makes me yearn for slightly taller bars, oh and the trademark potato potato that only comes from an HD crank.

While I love riding my Honda, I only bought it as a stop gap because I didn't feel like I could afford a Harley, I know now that I could have all along. I will have one some day. Next bike? The bike after? Who knows.

Last edited:
So this week-end I did a test ride of the 2018 Indian Chief, at Peak Power Sports in Oakville.

The model I've been eyeing is the Dark Horse, but they don't have demo model for that but the sister bike Indian Chief that is exactly the same minus the matt black.

I went out with the sales man, he on another bike and followed him through some roads and got to push it close to 100 km.

I was totally disappointed. As much as I love the look of this bike at 1800 cc this bike feels and runs very much under powered. They engine runs and sounds very electronic and soft the torq although they claim to be heavy is almost non existent. When I riding behind the salesman, we were at 60-70 km and I was saying I should be in the 3 or 4 gear... I was like what???? On my VTX 1300 I don't hit 3rd until I hit 80 km and above sometimes I don't shift to 3 rd until 100 if I need the extra push.

The sales guy said I am riding my bike in the SS territory, but with a 1300 I'd expect not to be running running in the 3 gear before hitting 100 km.

Sales said that to get the kind of rumble and power out of this bike I'd have to go to stage 3 kite, ( I had to ask what that meant) well here it is:

Stage 1: Exhaust change
Stage 2: Cam overhaul or something like that, including the Stage 1
Stage 3: Intake and above items

I guess on my VTX I've got all 3 stages that's why it's a killer machine.

To get to Stage 3 on the Dark Horse the cost by them is around $7000 so that bring this machine to closer to the $30,000 price range, and I'm certain that that engine will still sound electric.
Plus I don't feel and vibration or rumble in that engine, for SS guys that may be good thing but for guys like me

I want to feel and hear that engine and if I can smell the oil and gas that's a bonus.

Plus working on this Dark Horse seems to be and extra effort as the rear fender is welded to side fenders of the bike so taking out the rear wheel is not fun, not saying can't be done but is extra effort which I could live with but I still am not happy with the way the engine and ride felt, very underwhelming for a 1800cc bike, I've ridden stalk VTX 1800cc bike and that feels like a monster on crack with out any upgrades so don't know why this thing feel is tamed down.

So that's off my list, now possibly may go see the Cross bones this week-end If I feel like it (after reading into the TC96 engine and the Cam Chain Tensioner shoe issues and few more things my heart is somewhat moving away from it). I was reading how some Harley guys don't put to much KMs on their bike due to coming close to engine issues and over hauls at high KM.

Now my thoughts are slowly gearing towards the Fury and the look is beautiful don't care what people say, the matt black with red frame is my favorite and care-free VT engine that was made to be used and abused is the most compelling thing. Just thought I should try a HD or some other company as I've always had the Hondas.

I may go see a Triumph Storm if the price is right and a Matt Black comes up, but lets see.

Last edited:
I think you need to do some research on the models you're looking at to better match your expectations.
The 111 motor is by no means a revver. The Indian model you took out is certainly not marketed to the buyer that wants loud pipes and the smell of gas (actually unless the bike you get is leaking or running very rich you're not going to be smelling those anyways).
Honda VTX1800 motor has always made huge HP numbers. Suzuki 109 motor does as well. Shouldn't be any surprise here.
Nothing HD with a 96 motor is going to seem fast either. My riding buddy spent huge dollars on his 15 SG 103 giving it the stage 4 treatment. It was north of $10k just to cross the 100hp figure. VTX1800 makes 114hp stock.....

And under normal riding conditions I'm in 5th before 100km/h.

Stage 1 - A/C, exhaust and fuel map
Stage 2 - Stage 1 plus cams

The other stages get blurry. Head work, big bore kits, beefed up crank, turbo etc.

Indian is a nice machine. They are big, they are heavy and they don’t roll up to high speed with a huge rush. They can cruise along at 120 kph and above in 5 or 6th gear all day long. Loaded with passenger and gear for the weekend.

If you want performance, look at the Triumph. Tons of Thunderbirds out there. As for the preferred specs, maybe not so much. But, I’d have no problem with a Thunderbird with single head light.

Ride the Fury. The chopper geometry isn’t going to provide much for performance either. But, you’ll have confidence in being a Honda for reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ride the Fury. The chopper geometry isn’t going to provide much for performance either. But, you’ll have confidence in being a Honda for reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the Fury being the same engine I currently have, with exhaust and air intake change I think it be similar to the power I have, and running 1st gear into 60-70 km no sweat and 2nd all the way to 100 to 120 km, too bad they don't make the Fury in 1800.

With the Fury being the same engine I currently have, with exhaust and air intake change I think it be similar to the power I have, and running 1st gear into 60-70 km no sweat and 2nd all the way to 100 to 120 km, too bad they don't make the Fury in 1800.
They do. It's called a Vegas Jackpot.

Back
Top Bottom