Doug Ford - Build in greenbelt | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Doug Ford - Build in greenbelt

Hey folks, I hate to dump on your Ford bash but the Liberals have been allowing that crap for years. It's called light green. .

Fact. I was in greenbelt. Then Dolton, and now I'm in light greenbelt, a hundred yards from what is still greenbelt. It was rural residential, zoned for single story bungalows only. You could "cheat" with dormers. Now? Well, when I do decide to get outta Dodge, whoever buys my property won't be buying it for the house that's on it, that's for sure. They'll only be looking at the size of the lot. Any of the gentrification that's been done since the changeover the building inspector checks side clearance with feeler gauges.

Boy, that was stupid. Almost as bad as John Tory and the school funding. The greenbelt was created from headwaters land that supplies the lakes with fresh water. It wasn't just a bunch of greenies throwing a dart at a map. The Moraine, the Escarpment, all the areas that collect water to supply the lowlands had to be protected. You can't "swap" the land for some flat piece of farm land that has no ecological importance. I have no problem with developers building homes, but a shortage of land is really not the problem. Doug was trying to please developers. Perhaps more housing is the answer, but there's plenty of room to build right now. Leave the Greenbelt alone or suffer severely in the polls.

The green belt is more than a drive in the country. Developers are just drooling at the possible opportunities. I'm not a greeny, however these buffer zones protect waterways, animal habitat , sensitive plants and are good for the mental state of those that live close or transit them.
Urban sprawl is not good for anybody.

People talk about this development as if there aren't millions of acres of undeveloped land outside the GTA... it's cheap too.

It looks like DF is backing off on his plans to develop the green belt after being told it was stupid.

You’d think by now that the Liberals would be running on their awesome record rather than the opposing leader’s views.

All in all, I'm relatively pleased with the way things have developed in recent years and I'd be fine with more of the same, but I can understand how others would want something else.

How honestly can you keep accepting the snake oil while they raping your wallet?

2.0m homes and up, on protected green space lots within an hour of TO
yes, that's what's needed to help bring down inflated home prices
the developers would be drooling onto their shoes at the prospect of this

2.0m homes and up, on protected green space lots within an hour of TO
yes, that's what's needed to help bring down inflated home prices
the developers would be drooling onto their shoes at the prospect of this

I'd like to know how this plan came about.

Anyone else think some developer who's friendly with Doug Ford suggested it and Doug ran with it?

Lets face it government is an insiders game. I think you all have ridden through this area, and there are some beautiful home, mansions, estates which don't look like farm homes, not to say farmers don't have nice homes. Nothing me average joe could afford. But I guess with those connections they can get anything they want.

How honestly can you keep accepting the snake oil while they raping your wallet?

My wallet hasn't been raped at all... on the contrary, many policies that the Liberals have promoted have been very lucrative for me career wise. A lot of the blunders didn't affect me too too much.

It's not that I'm buying the snake oil, I'm not under the illusion that Wynne is some sort of great leader, but I've just spent enough time in certain government agencies to know that Doug's populist BS isn't all that realistic or necessarily smart and that he'll be just as beholden to certain interests as Wynne is, it will just be different ones. Wynne's just the devil I know and the one that's been relatively good to me. That said, I don't hate Ford, I think things will probably be alright. I just feel bad for the suckers that think the world is gonna change and government is gonna be fixed with with Ford at the helm. They'll still have a dick in their ***, it'll just be Doug's instead of Kathleen's.

Horwath and the NDP is just a non-starter for me; they're too far to the left IMO and their unconditional support of labour unions and expansion of public services seems like a choke on private business. It's just bad for me on a personal level.

Last edited:
My wallet hasn't been raped at all... on the contrary, many policies that the Liberals have promoted have been very lucrative for me career wise. A lot of the blunders didn't affect me too too much.

l.

Of course not, if you're working for them you're fine. It's the average working class who has to pay for everything!

Of course not, if you're working for them you're fine. It's the average working class who has to pay for everything!

You don't have to work for them, just have to be in an industry that benefits from the attention of the government as a result of some policy. There is always a symbiotic relationship between government and business. The PCs will have their relationships as well; there's nothing unusual or inherently wrong in that.

In any case, I've never been affiliated to any political party or worked for either of them.

All the talk of "elites"...

Sure he has back pedalled now (when do we start calling him flip-flop-ford?) but is there anyone more "elite" than big time developers building million dollar+ homes on green space for the wealthy?

BTW, Wynne is steering into it now and saying she will expand the green space.... Ford says up she says down....

Surprised to see some of the posts in here. Like oh there's plenty of farm land, just build on that. Half of the people that think like that are ironically likely also against factory farming, like really where do you expect food comes from? Caboose, cheap land around the GTA? WTF are you smoking?

You don't have to work for them, just have to be in an industry that benefits from the attention of the government as a result of some policy. There is always a symbiotic relationship between government and business. The PCs will have their relationships as well; there's nothing unusual or inherently wrong in that.

In any case, I've never been affiliated to any political party or worked for either of them.

It is one of the many reasons that the Laffer Curve in economics (now that numbers have been put to the theory, from the real world) has shown that maximum GDP growth sits around 35% overall taxation (maximum revenue at 70%). Even if the government wastes money most of it goes back into the economy in some way, shockingly this creates jobs for those smart enough to take advantage of it. For smart people and companies the extra income can out strip the extra tax. For dumb, well....

But hey lets race to the bottom against the US with 3X the per capita deficit and 4X+ the per capita debt compared to Canada... but taxes are low funded by a epic giant hole.

Last edited:
Surprised to see some of the posts in here. Like oh there's plenty of farm land, just build on that. Half of the people that think like that are ironically likely also against factory farming, like really where do you expect food comes from? Caboose, cheap land around the GTA? WTF are you smoking?

I wrote "outside the GTA".

And yes, there's plenty.

Land is cheap in North Bay, sure. But you're obviously oblivious to what GTA sprawl has done to tillable land in southern Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom